For those who wish to get away from it all...

Don Hudson

It really is mind boggling. And the amount of work and study to even qualify only to end up a speck somewhere in deep space growing potatoes to survive. I am curious who would consider this adventure. Perhaps some underpaid and overworked US regional first officers? :)

I was fortunate enough to work with some of these people in the past in Antarctica.

One good friend was a Geophysicist and full time staff at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Sounds odd, but most of these people work on their own science while doing something else for NASA.

She was a two time astronaut candidate, didn't get through the week long medicals. One did maybe save her life though.

She was a part time Professor at Cal-tech.

She was a manager of a computing department for the initial mars rover program. She felt that she needed a better understanding of computers so she picked up a masters in computer programming, on the side.

She has a commercial pilot license, her buddy Dick Rutan was her instructor. ( most sorties in North Vietnam on the super sabre)

She was a single mom with an eight year old son.

These people are scary smart, and lots of fun to be around, they just love what they do.

How does one leave home as an adult?!

Until NASA (or someone) can shorten the amount of time it takes to travel in space and reduce the post effects of extended weightlessness, I really don't know how you make this decision?

Maybe I misunderstood, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think the question was rhetorically suggesting that a person doesn't actually become an adult until they have demonstrated the ability to live without an umbilical cord attached to the parent(s)?

Maybe I misunderstood, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think the question was rhetorically suggesting that a person doesn't actually become an adult until they have demonstrated the ability to live without an umbilical cord attached to the parent(s)?

Oh. I see. I think it was my misunderstanding. :)

Have a good weekend.

Archived