Sign in to follow this  
Mitch Cronin

Is This Your Canada?

If Harper loses, I think that when the post mortem is done in the coming weeks and months, the early election call is going to be seen as a contributing factor in the incumbent government's undoing.

Possibly, but the tracking polls showed a sharp turn to the Liberals in early October, around the time the Niqab debate heated up. I think a lot of people thought it brought out the worst in Stephen Harper, a side even some of his supporters didn't feel comfortable with.

The handwriting of the name and address is only done at advance polls. The registers are then forwarded to elections Canada so that your name can be taken off prior to publishing the voters list for the regular vote on Oct. 19. Bit of a pain but I don't understand people getting mad and venting at the people doing the work. That is both pointless and non productive.

I was at an advance poll. The set-up was ludicrous..... I was # 12 in the line. Took just over an hour to get to vote. That re-writing all the info on the voter card is beyond stupid. I asked why they did that and they told me that " it was to prevent people from voting twice".

Why would you not take the individuals voting card, punch a hole in it and stamp it with the date and have you sign it. ....they do keep the cards....or at least have a copy machine to copy all the info on the card? The info could be transcribed into the register the next week, (before voting started), if it had to be. If they did not want to transcribe it, place the cards in an alphabetical index file and when voting day comes around, check to make sure the "voter" has not already voted........seems simple .............to this simple minded person.

Some people walked out...said they had medical conditions that precluded standing for over an hour.

If our actual government is saddled with the same "type of bureaucracy then it is no wonder that most Canadians have a decreasing amount of faith in whomever they elect.

• Like 1

Time to bring voting into the current century. A simple bar code on each voter card would simplify the process immensely.

• Like 1

Why would you not take the individuals voting card, punch a hole in it and stamp it with the date and have you sign it. ....they do keep the cards....or at least have a copy machine to copy all the info on the card? The info could be transcribed into the register the next week, (before voting started), if it had to be. If they did not want to transcribe it, place the cards in an alphabetical index file and when voting day comes around, check to make sure the "voter" has not already voted........seems simple .............to this simple minded person.

Actually they don't keep the cards, you can take it with you or put it in a box provided for recycling.

Ironically the writing of your name in the ledger is so that it will go faster on election day, they now have a few million less names to scroll through to find the right name. I guess the takeaway is to vote on election day where they have more people working, and no handwriting and bigger venues.

Actually they don't keep the cards, you can take it with you or put it in a box provided for recycling.

Ironically the writing of your name in the ledger is so that it will go faster on election day, they now have a few million less names to scroll through to find the right name. I guess the takeaway is to vote on election day where they have more people working, and no handwriting and bigger venues.

I'm in a small town..we don't have a million names to scroll through :biggrin1: .... for each poll. I would bet that each poll only has about 5000 names on each voting list.

No recycle box for the cards at our advance poll. The "writer" wanted the cards.

All I am advocating is that there has to be a better way........keep up the way they are going and fewer people will want to spend the time voting. :blush:

• Like 1

This is the process introduced by the "Fair" Elections act. They admitted it was not the best system after people started walking away.

On a brighter note....There were so many people voting early that people walked away. As long as they come back to vote again then voter turnout should be good

A simple bar code on each voter would simplify the process even further AND eliminate any concerns over the identification of anyone who wished to cover their face. Welcome to the next century. Resistance is futile.

:Grin-Nod:

I think that's buried in the fine print of that wonderful omnibus security bill. :glare:

A simple bar code on each voter would simplify the process even further AND eliminate any concerns over the identification of anyone who wished to cover their face. Welcome to the next century. Resistance is futile.

Subcutaneous chip, just like the one my dogs have would be fine with me. No need then to carry any identification for driving, voting etc. Just a simple scan.

Billions of dollars are transacted daily by individuals around the world on internet based retail and banking platforms. Just how much of a challenge would it be to develop an online voting system that would offer a similar level of accessibility, ease of use and security?

Quite a significant one it would appear: The Future of Voting: End-to-End Verifiable Internet Voting

• Like 2

Well folks, you have been duped by Trudeau. You know, the man who says how incompetent the government was to run deficits after being forced into deficit by the liberals and who at the same time campaigns on deficits and admires his father who had endless deficits and of course at the same time accuses Mulcair of double speak in a debate.

Anyways......He hasn't even got his majority yet and his campaign co-chair is sending emails to companies on how to lobby the government. This is the party that says that they want to clean up the corruption in Ottawa from a few minor scandals.

Folks, I have said it before and I will say it again. If you vote based on the normal trickle of scandals that have been happening your entire life, you will be voting for a new party each time. It always amazes me how people are easily tricked by what people say but then again, the Nigerian scammers do quite well don't they.

If you are voting for a party because you believe in their general policies be it liberal, NDP, or conservative, well that is respectable thing to do. If you are fooled by the leaders(regardless of which of the big three are saying it) claiming that they are cleaner than the others, I know of a few Nigerian princes that would like a word with you.

Vote for lower taxes, smaller government, holding down the unions, supporting cultures in the Middle East that actually believe in freedom instead of cheering on 9/11, stability in Europe, less government waste than the other parties, reducing taxes to unemployment scammers in various regions, more oversight of your money being directed toward the natives, not allowing artificial language barriers dictate who is on our supreme court, less racist affirmative action policies, not implementing stupid ideas like proportional representation leading to gridlock and more frequent elections, not spending your money on the man made global warming scam, and not being stupid enough to vastly increase the terrorism risk in this country with their refugee policy.

• Like 3

Almost all politicians are liars.

All you can do is pick the one whose lies you have a faint hope they might follow through on.

On the other hand, if you pick the one whose lies are opposite your values, there is at least a small chance that they might accidentally do what you really want them to do.

:glare:

I believe Trudeau. He will return us to deficits. And wait until he has "seen the books" as he claimed he was going to wait until he had done that for financial decision-making. Then he will say..."Gee, things are so much worse than forecast", I need to do something that I didn't campaign about(ie. raise more money from you).

I believe that he will restore spending your money on a bunch of unnecessary funding. Wait until we hear of the huge amount wasted on unnecessary construction projects. I believe that he will let in a large amount of risky people. Wait until people start dying. I will sleep quite comfortably knowing that I did what I could to prevent it.

Harper campaigned with Ford, quite a clown but Trudeau campaigns with Wynne, a complete financial disaster resulting in two downgrades in financial performance and huge debts. It amazes me that people are stupid enough to repeat the same thing but I guess there are enough in this country that are willing to put their short term financial gain ahead of the country(unemployment insurance, union government contracts). I call them the parasites of taxpayers money. The ones that have been screaming the loudest as the cuts take hold.

Oh well, I can mitigate things for myself in the short term by accepting being based in a province out west with lower tax rates and still come out ahead. Time to stop thinking of my country first if that is the way the majority behaves.

Vote with your pocketbook.

.... Time to stop thinking of my country first if that is the way the majority behaves ....

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? Can't begin to fathom such a reprehensible sentiment - Do you think for a nanosecond, flyinghigh, that it's the slightest bit persuasive?

• Like 1

I have thought about this, and I think that Trudeau is the only one coming close to a truth.

He says he will run deficits, and I believe that will be the case.

The difference to me, is that he says he will be building roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, stuff that benefits us all as Canadians and makes the country a better place to live in, in my opinion.

Whether he does it or not is to be seen. I hope that it will be the truth.

The other option is to vote for a proven track record of tax cuts for corporations that do nothing for the general population, as well as a degradation of the role of democracy in our country consolidating power in the hands of a small minority.

We just can't be continuing down this path of environmental and societal destruction.

Change has to happen.....

On Monday get out to vote for which ever party you will place your "faith" in.

And in the meantime, try to ignore "unbiased" reporting :Clever:

eg: From Oct 07, CBC

With opinion polls suggesting no party is likely to form a majority government on Monday, the question widely asked at this point in the campaign is, "What happens if Stephen Harper wins the most seats but does not reach a majority?"

There is much evidence the other parties would move to prevent him from continuing as prime minister, and Canadians appear to support the idea.