Sign in to follow this  
Mitch Cronin

Is This Your Canada?

Canada was one of just three nations to vote against a resolution at the United Nations last Friday to fight the "glorification of Nazism."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/26/canada-united-nations-nazism-resolution_n_6228152.html

Do you really still think this guy is your man? Really????

• Like 1

Canada was one of just three nations to vote against a resolution at the United Nations last Friday to fight the "glorification of Nazism."

But a spokesperson for the department of Foreign Affairs says, despite the vote, Canada remains "strongly opposed" to all forms of racism and concerned about the rise of neo-Nazism in different parts of the world.

The resolution was brought forward by Russia at the UN General Assembly's Third Committee, which deals with human rights. It calls on nations to combat "glorification of Nazism and other practices that contribute to fuelling contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance." It also urges countries to take legislative measures to end all forms of Holocaust denial.

The United States and Ukraine joined Canada in voting against the resolution, but 115 other countries — including Israel — voted in favour. There were 55 abstentions.

Foreign Affairs spokesperson François Lasalle told The Huffington Post Canada via email Wednesday that while Canada has a "longstanding and consistent record" of protecting the rights of all persons, the resolution contains references "counterproductive" to that goal.

Lasalle said the resolution seeks to "limit freedom of expression, assembly and opinion," but did not elaborate on those infringements.

The resolution calls on countries to "improve national legislation aimed at the prevention of hate speech" and expresses concern about the use of the Internet to propagate racism. It also cautions against advertising "aimed at exploiting the suffering of victims" of the Nazi regime during the Second World War.

Lasalle also said Canada did not support the resolution because it referred to the "highly politicized and anti-Semitic outcomes" of the 2001 World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa.

The timing is interesting - this occur in 2014.

Still, I no longer understand my country and what it is intending to be and do on the world stage.

The above "justification" speaks out of both sides of the government's mouth.

"Canada has fallen behind in a global ranking on international development initiatives and ranks last when it comes to environmental protection."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/canada-dead-last-in-oecd-ranking-for-environmental-protection/article15484134/

So now you are posting another article that is dated 2013..... Lots of MORE current articles you Could post instead.

Perhaps this one also dated 2014 (like your original post) that says Canada ranks 24th out of 178 countries.

Country Rankings
See how all 178 countries rank on the 2014 EPI. Click on a country's name to go to its profile page and learn more about its performance. Use the gray control bar to sort the table alphabetically by country name, by rank, by score, or by ten-year change.

http://epi.yale.edu/epi/country-rankings

• Like 1

Remember Godwin's Law.

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Nazi analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1(one)" that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

I am surprised that it took so long on political subject on this forum.

• Like 2

What happened in the last 9 or 10 years?

• Like 2

What happened in the last 9 or 10 years?

In Canada, a long list of things that aren't good. Where've you been? If you take off your money coloured glasses and look with your eyes, you'll see.

Mitch,

I appreciate that you have some concerns. But you have not made any of them known here on this thread. It is difficult to understand the things that you feel are happening with virtually no information provided.

I accept that you gave a link to a vote in the UN. I have to admit that I was not aware of this vote but I would say that it appears that Russia was using it for some sort of tactical advantage in their maneuvers with the Ukraine.

While that may not be a convincing argument for many "progressives", the leader that is very popular with "progressives", Barack Obama appears to have voted against it as well. I doubt he is a Nazi sympathizer but using your logic, it would appear that we should support the Republicans in the US now that Obama has shown his true political beliefs.

Mitch, it's call progress / improvement/ etc. Or should we dial back to Du Temple?

That's pretty funny!

Which part of having all sorts of research papers destroyed is "progress / improvement/ etc."?

Which part of completely ignoring good science is "progress / improvement/ etc."?

Which part of turning our government into a house of liars and thugs, is "progress / improvement/ etc."?

Which part of trashing our worldwide reputation is "progress / improvement/ etc."?

Which part of not giving a rats ass about what probably 65% of the population wants, is "progress / improvement/ etc."?

Which part of all Harpers lies????

Well, Mitch I am glad that you at least have you mind made up not to vote for the Conservatives, but if events in the past are what you are making that decision on, I guess you will not be voting for any party......

Don't need the past to know what a sickening liar Harper is...

Just look at his stupid attack ads.

Have a ponder over the ramifications for the small folks from the TPP....

consider what's wrong with a man stifling the reporting from publicly funded scientists?!?! Are you really that thick that you're just ok with that? Can you not see how dangerous that sort of behaviour is?

Do you really think Harper's 'down sides' are even in the same ball park as any previous government in Canada? Do you really not see how low the man has crept?

Not sure why you think I am defending our PM, that being said I may vote for the party once again but still waiting some answers back from the both of the other major parties that may help me make up my mind re which party I will end up voting for. Re the TPP, what exactly is the impact on "small folks" vs the rest of the Canadian Population?

Re attack ads etc, I don't find any of the parties exactly blameless there and then there are of course "attack posts", attack tweets etc. to consider. :Grin-Nod:

The rest of the country seems to agree Harper has turned up the volume on attack ads by a bit too much. But that's just my read, I have no back-up for that comment.

Do you like the idea of paying more for drugs now? "small guy"? Do you like the idea that some foreign pharmaceutical company could now sue our government for any legislation that hurts their profits? Can you point to a single part of the TPP that I should be happy with?

Re Drugs, no change in Canada it seems

Next-generation pharmaceuticals, including cell-based biologics, will have patent-style protections for eight years. That’s in line with Canadian policy, but will disappoint some countries who declared anything beyond five years would be unacceptably expensive for patients and taxpayers.

Re things to cheer about, how about these:

The flip-side is greater access for Canadian producers to other Pacific-Rim markets. Canada’s agriculture, fish, seafood, forestry, metal and mining sectors will benefit most as producers see tariffs on their exports to Asian markets like Japan dropped immediately or over a period of time. The tariffs on fish/seafood will be gone within a decade, for example, and maple syrup will no longer be subject to a duty in Vietnam.​

There are new rules protecting the digital economy, and practices like cloud computing. National governments will be prevented from cutting off data flows, laws that require local storage of data will be limited

http://globalnews.ca/news/2257824/what-canadians-should-know-about-the-tpp-deal/

Everything you always wanted to know about Drug Patents in Canada.

Here is one point that did surprise me in light of the comments about the TPP changing the game to 8 years. If I did not misread the document, the change to 8 years could result in a cheaper generic drug being available sooner along then with the possibility that the price would go down. (at least in My Canada).

http://www.pmprb-cepmb.gc.ca/about-us/frequently-asked-questions#1395

What is a patented medicine​
?

A patented medicine is a drug to which a Canadian patent pertains. A patent provides exclusive rights to the patent holder to use the invention for the duration of the patent.

What is a patent?

A patent is an instrument issued by the Commissioner of Patents in the form of letters patent for an invention that provides its holder with a monopoly limited in time. It gives the patentee the exclusive right to make, sell, or otherwise exploit the invention for the duration of the patent.

What is the duration of a patent?

20 years from the date of filing.