767 Tail Strike

blues deville

There may have been some windy conditions at YYZ contributing to this event but I do not understand the crew's analysis of the EICAS message and their decision to continue to destination, only to return later after discussion with maintenance.

http://www.aeroinside.com/item/6333/air-canada-b763-at-toronto-on-aug-19th-2015-tail-scrape-on-departure?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20150919

The 767 procedure for that EICAS message, as I recall, is to remain unpressurized and either continue to destination unpressurized or land. I don't expect that has changed.

EICAS was developed to eliminate the flight engineer's position. Crews need to believe in its messages and act accordingly. Some years ago, a senior engineer in Gatwick tried to convince me the BATTERY CHARGER (I can't remember the exact message) EICAS message was only advisory and not a true indication of a problem. I was supposed to go to the Carribean with this aircraft. On looking at the electrical page, the presumably fully charged battery was still charging. I asked him to go down into the EE bay to investigate. He came back, white as a sheet, having nearly burned his nand on the battery which was in the early stages of thermal runaway.

Believe in the messages; ACT on the messages.

The report (if accurate) states the EICAS message was "Tail Skid". Which according to the Boeing QRH means "not in the commanded postion". However a "Tail Strike" is a much more serious event with the knowledge of the tail hitting on the runway (or something) and requires immediate action and land asap. So I suppose their further discussion with operations resulted in a return to YYZ and investigating. Good call I think.

The QRH for a TAILSKID EICAS on the 767 just states that the tail skid is not in the commanded position. There is no further guidance or recommendation regarding pressurization or landing short. There is no expanded abnormal for this message.

I have been on a DC-8 when we hit the tail, and it was quite clear that we had done so. Nobody really thought anything about it at the time, though.

I would assume that the decision to land was out of an abundance of caution, and well thought.

edit.... posted at virtually the same time as Blues' post. Great minds think alike.

I'd be curious to know more about the details of their takeoff roll on 23. As many here know, this runway passes through the crowned ends of both 15L/33R & 15R/33L. Departing 23 at heavy weights for this type of aircraft usually has a Vr speed which coincides with the second hump. At least that has been my experience. Several times I've had to check my initial rotation because the aircraft has bounced slightly passing over this spot with high/heavy weight speeds. Add in a gusty crosswind condition and you have a nasty little threat before you're even airborne.

Archived