Culture Or Gun Driven Or Perhaps Culture And Gun Driven?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JO

I'm not angry, or much of anything else emotionally speaking, but I do admit to being bewildered by the anti gun crowd's apparent inability to at least acknowledge the true source of their fears.

For instance; do you really believe public safety is going to be enhanced in any meaningful way if someone like Wolfhunter was to be denied of his hobby?

I trust you aren't missing the real threat to public safety, the sort demonstrated in the news story posted a couple times above?

Seriously then; what makes an examination of the 'facts' so absolutely distasteful to you that you would rather turn on your law abiding neighbour and fellow citizens than face up to real demons?

13 hours ago, Rich Pulman said:

Really? I'm sure there are hundreds of hobbies we could discuss. I'm standing by......

23 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

start looking for real solutions and not a “ban the pit bull logic”. The pit bull crowd have lots of options, by that I mean breeds of dogs that you probably have never heard of before. Cheers

Maybe I could raise puppies for the Toronto market… watcha think?

Private Members Bill S-223 is attempting to do exactly what Wolfhunter is saying.  take the guns out of the homes of the owners and move them to a central storage facility and restrict access.  This would affect MILLIONS of law abiding Canadians including farmers who lawfully use guns to protect livestock from wolves, coyotes and other predators.  There is more to the bill but all of it is a waste of time and resources because it does not fix anything it only adds red tape and BS as well as costing a fortune to the tax payers.  All the while the government continues to allow illegal firearms to enter the country through our boarders.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

....All the while the government continues to allow illegal firearms to enter the country through our boarders.

Well that's it then!  If we don't take in boarders, we won't have any illegal gun issues!  

'Course, if we're talking skate-boarders then it won't matter whether we take them in or not - those 'boarders' being notoriously peaceful types, more interested in hangin' out, having fun and tagging any and all available flat surfaces.

Sorry....it was a gimme!

It's impossible to conclude anything other than the obvious; the US has a bit of a problem when it comes to firearms, but rather than getting upset and making all sorts of emotionally misguided regulatory mistakes, why not stop and examine the reasons people perceive there's a genuine need to carry a weapon in the first place?

Americans are inherently paranoid.  Paranoid of EVERYTHING, hence the notion that they should all be armed.

Every time I go down there it amazes me how skewed their perception of the world is.  Apparently every is out to get them

Back when I was involved in deer hunting I used to visit a couple of US States for the purpose. After 911 the American security apparatus went nuts and decided Canadian tourist hunters were potential terrorists. The regulations that were enacted were so onerous against us that my group decided to quit going.

I think 911 marks the point in time at which the psyche of crazy & paranoid logic that Boestar is referring to probably began to really take-off?

I have life long friends over in Farmington Hills Michigan, but to visit requires crossing Detroit, which means, I'm staying put over here. Just last week I invited my friends over to my place, but they can't bring their guns to Canada and because they don't even feel safe crossing Detroit without them, they're staying put too. Paranoia perhaps, but the fear of becoming a victim of crime in a big almost dead city like Detroit isn't all that unreasonable either.

This bill will not likely survive to become law.  Private members bill rarely do.  This one in particular is so poorly written it should be tossed immediately

What a tempest in a teapot - Right-wing columnist gets a twofer:  column-inches shilling for gun-nut NRA wannabes and getting in a couple of oblique kicks at the Government. Sen Hervieux-Payette's bill will likely go nowhere, & the PM does not even consider the Liberal Senators as a Government caucus. Not that people can't speculate about nefarious manipulations. tho'.

It would increase Gunter's credibility if he didn't simply regurgitate NRA fantasies: "As has been pointed out many times in the past, in Switzerland every adult male is required to have a powerful long gun (usually an automatic or semi-automatic) in his home for defence of the country’s neutrality against invasion. Yet Switzerland, like Norway, has a very low rate of murder and other gun violence." Not a word about the real regulations and restrictions. If the proponents of indiscriminate gun ownership, particularly those South of the 49th, want to push for Swiss-type gun (& ammo) rules, they probably have no clue what they're actually wishing for.

Cheers, IFG :b:

I hung up my six-shooters many decades ago. Being largely useless & illegal for hunting purposes, or personal carry going forward, there didn't seem to be much purpose in continued ownership and so I gave them up. Handguns are also quite useless to the notion of home defence in all but the most skilled hands and always prove to be downright dangerous in the grip of the majority, but they are fun to shoot at the range, a 'controlled' environment.

Should they be banned altogether? Would doing so further the objective of public safety? Overall, I think not.

Besides, knowing the bad guys can and will acquire handguns to serve their purposes does seem to make the exercise of disarming the law abiding populace a little disingenuous, not to mention expensive and big brother like.

At the time I sold off my handguns I felt safe going pretty much anywhere in this Country, but I don't anymore, so while I did feel quite comfortable going naked back then, I would feel much better if I was packing today.

All that aside, the laws that 'restrict' the ownership, handling, transportation & use of handguns have been in place in this Country for as long as I can remember and they have always been more than adequate to regulate the related activities of the law abiding citizen.

Criminal deterrence would appear to be becoming another matter altogether and that is where the misguided fear mongering largely ignorant of the facts politician ought to be focusing his efforts!

IFG - I’m very likely more of a gun and ammunition control advocate than most (from either camp) who comment (or are likely to) on this particular thread. 

Canada is a victim of geography in that we live next door to the US; we  can’t even stop the importation of illegal smokes. Polarized opinions on the subject are, in my opinion, too often heard and of little practical value to solving the problem at hand. Zero guns = zero gun deaths is about as helpful as plaid wearing gun nuts in baseball caps that say “from my cold dead hands”. 

We discussed statistics and causal relationships in another thread and apart from a series of analogies about regulating (or how to regulate) other illegal uses of illegal products (or illegal uses of legal ones) I see no way to further the debate. Since you can likely guess the analogies I might come up with… impaired driving, illegal prescription drug sales, texting while driving etc. etc. I will withdraw from further debate on the subject… I think it’s a dead issue. Cheers.

PS

Year after year, politicians that are obviously absent of any knowledge when it comes to firearms, crime, or public safety knowingly advance falsehoods in respect of auto-loading long-guns to an unwitting & scared sh!tless constituent mass. The people need to understand I think that the politicians advocating against auto-loading long-arms are only doing so to further a personal objective, usually their time at the teat, when they know full well that 'all' their anti autoloader proposals are absolutely useless to the furtherance of the stated public safety objective. 

I am assuming you are using Autoloader as a replacement for Semi-Automatic.

None of these clowns has a clue when it comes to weapons.  Reading that bill is difficult because it is based on so much incorrect information.

4 hours ago, DEFCON said:

At the time I sold off my handguns I felt safe going pretty much anywhere in this Country, but I don't anymore, so while I did feel quite comfortable going naked back then, I would feel much better if I was packing today.

I am glad we cant "pack" here. Just imaging the road rage incidents that would turn into shooting, arguments at work turning deadly. No thanks, I always want a chance to walk away and let things cool down.

I am not uncomfortable enough anywhere in this country to see the need to carry a gun.  In MOST places in the US I feel the same.  I just do not see the need to carry a handgun open or concealed.

The Americans are returning to an 'old west' styled society; I only hope that we can somehow learn from their mistakes and avoid becoming an armed camp too.  

• 2 weeks later...

As thugs take over control of local neighbourhoods, civic & social order breaks down and gives way to anarchy as we can see is the case in this area of Toronto. Experience has shown that politically correct policing is not an effective deterrent to the spread of this form of contagion. Accordingly, everyone should expect to experience a taste of gang related violence as their influence grows across the City. The high rollers living in the new condo over by the Skydome probably thought they were insulated from it all, but practical reality intervened recently and provided residents with a solid demonstration of their vulnerability.

Archived