Westjet Pilots Begin Union Vote — What's At Stake?

Lakelad

:closedeyes: If the Front Door is closed then perhaps another entrance will work.

WestJet Airlines Ltd pilots turn to international union for help winning over co-workers

Kristine Owram | October 17, 2015 | Last Updated: Oct 17 8:00 AM ET
More from Kristine Owram | @KristineOwram

Chris Bolin for National PostA majority of WestJet’s pilots rejected unionization in a secret ballot in August.

Pilots at WestJet Airlines Ltd. have given up on trying to form an independent union and have instead turned to a major international association for help.

As WestJet shows, new federal law requiring secret ballot is making unionization more difficult

Pro-union pilots at WestJet Airlines Ltd. are undoubtedly disappointed by their colleagues’ no vote, but they may take some solace in the fact that it’s not just them: It’s becoming more difficult to organize across Canada as a whole.

Continue reading.

A majority of WestJet’s pilots rejected unionization in a secret ballot in August. Since then, the pro-union WestJet Professional Pilots Association (WPPA) has been evaluating its options and is now talking to the Air Line Pilots Association International (ALPA) about potential representation, according to a post on the WestJet association’s website.

The ALPA is the largest pilot union in the world and represents workers at major carriers such as Delta Air Lines Inc. and United Air Lines Inc., as well as Canadian carriers Jazz Aviation LP and Air Transat, among others.

The WPPA cited a lack of financial resources due to “legal attacks and challenges” from WestJet and the non-union group that currently represents its pilots.

“Whereas the WPPA is strong in its members’ dedication to the common goals we all share, the association is weak financially and lacks resources in comparison to the anti-certification forces we face,” Capt. Rob McFadyen wrote in the post.

On Oct. 6, members of the WPPA visited the ALPA’s headquarters in Herndon, Va., and were “warmly welcomed,” McFadyen said.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 6, 2015?

I remember that I bought a round after I lost a bet that WestJet pilots would join ALPA a few years ago.

Rumor was that some some WestJet pilots were having talks with ALPA and I just figured that there would be very little downside for them .....

There is no mandatory cool down period. You just can't have another certification vote within 6 months of the last one.

Speaking of the CIRB, I was hoping that they would have ruled by now. Or is that phalanx of corporate lawyers still on the job?

I for one would be extremely impressed if the WJ pilots took the decision of ALPA representation. I believe that it would be a benefit for the WJ pilots and for ALPA. And it would leave pilot groups like Air Canada, CargoJet, Sunwing, and Morningstar as the outliers using either 'boutique' representation or non-pilot specific representation.

A union does not define a pilot group - it is the pilot group(s) that define the union. I see a lot of valuable perspective and concepts that the WJ pilots could bring to ALPA and its other member pilot groups. And hopefully before the dust settles the ALPA Canada Board will be able to resurrect the former CALPA (or call it ALPA-C) where all airline pilots in Canada speak with one voice.

Airlines compete. Pilots should not be competing with one and other.

Thanks for the clarification E-HANDLE.

I agree that after the "no" vote, the CIRB should have ruled on the remaining questions of the WPPA as the WJPA is still hamstrung in that anything they say can be held against them.

The WJPA is still to present their "structure" to the pilots but, I do wonder if they need to run everything by their lawyers first, to ensure the above doesn't come back and bite them, thus the delay in their presentation.

The lawyers will always win.

Boney not all the old official WPPA people are involved with the alpa union drive. I hear a lot of them have stepped back after the vote after 2 years of working toward wppa.

I don't think wppa even exists anymore. At least their website has been gutted and it sounds like wppa is dead.

• 2 months later...

i didn't know that the Encore Pilots were considered to be a separate bargaining unit.

WestJet Encore pilots approve five-year agreement

CALGARY, Dec. 20, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet Encore announced today its pilots have voted in favour of a new agreement with 93 per cent of eligible pilots voting.

The tentative agreement was negotiated between WestJet Encore and the WestJet Pilots' Association (WJPA), the association representing its pilots. Voting on the agreement began on December 12, 2015 and ended December 20, 2015.

Nearly 275 WestJet Encore pilots are represented by the WJPA, a subgroup of WestJet's Proactive Communication Team (PACT), the wholly-elected employee association representing WestJet's more than 11,000 employees. This is the first ratified agreement between WestJet and its Encore pilots.

"We are pleased to reach a successful conclusion to this interest-focused negotiation process," said Ferio Pugliese, President, WestJet Encore. "The agreement reflects the diligent efforts of our teams and I thank WJPA, the WestJet Encore negotiating team and the Encore leadership team for their work on this agreement and genuine commitment to our business and our people."

The new agreement begins January 1, 2016 and expires on December 31, 2020.

i didn't know that the Encore Pilots were considered to be a separate bargaining unit.

WestJet Encore pilots approve five-year agreement

CALGARY, Dec. 20, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet Encore announced today its pilots have voted in favour of a new agreement with 93 per cent of eligible pilots voting.

The tentative agreement was negotiated between WestJet Encore and the WestJet Pilots' Association (WJPA), the association representing its pilots. Voting on the agreement began on December 12, 2015 and ended December 20, 2015.

Nearly 275 WestJet Encore pilots are represented by the WJPA, a subgroup of WestJet's Proactive Communication Team (PACT), the wholly-elected employee association representing WestJet's more than 11,000 employees. This is the first ratified agreement between WestJet and its Encore pilots.

"We are pleased to reach a successful conclusion to this interest-focused negotiation process," said Ferio Pugliese, President, WestJet Encore. "The agreement reflects the diligent efforts of our teams and I thank WJPA, the WestJet Encore negotiating team and the Encore leadership team for their work on this agreement and genuine commitment to our business and our people."

The new agreement begins January 1, 2016 and expires on December 31, 2020.

Since they aren't certified under the Labour Code, I'm not sure they have been defined as a bargaining unit though I could be wrong. Maybe as a seniority list.

Since they aren't certified under the Labour Code, I'm not sure they have been defined as a bargaining unit though I could be wrong. Maybe as a seniority list.

Of course then there is the What IF, What if they rejected and went out on strike, who would honour their picket lines etc.? A problem I guess that all spin off, lower wage groups might face in the future..

Archived