Westjet 767 Operation

Scuttlebutt is that its a paperwork issue, in that there is not the proper paperwork that Transport would like to see on mods done on the aircraft, and neither Boeing or Quantas are able to provide such paperwork.

Was there a similar issue on the 737's when WJ started up in 96?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks thinair

Sound like a major issue, as they are still selling the 767 nonstop to Hawaii in Dec. I guess they will be hunting for a short term wet lease.

We always hear of 3rd world mtce and bad record keeping, I wonder what the heck happened here. Afterall the aircraft was only recently retired by QF.

This is now sounding very similar to what the Skyservice engineering team discovered during their investigation on some former Qantas 767s. Missing paperwork and logbook entrees. The suggestion after several weeks of Victorville was to walk away.

Interesting that Boeing would not do their own due diligence before taking them back.

Here is a goto to a site that shows the full history of the aircraft.

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-767/vh-ogj/vhogj.html

Great review of the aircraft's previous life and really didn't spend much time sitting in California. However, I think Boeing leasing is a completely separate animal from the airplane builder.

In actual fact it appears that they are a key component of the Boeing Corporation.

http://www.boeing.com/company/key-orgs/boeing-capital/#/sale-or-lease

Yes but its a leasing division. This part of Boeing has taken over airline's Airbus equipment to sell customers brand new Boeing's. So they are dealing with all sorts of previously owned airplanes and in this case, The Boeing Company is not responsible for ensuring these airplanes meet any TC's standards. That would be up to the buyer.

It's too bad. Until WS gets this sorted out, I bet the early morning WS maintenance meetings in YYC are not much fun. :(

These situations can become really stupid in a hurry. If the Aussies could fly that plane into Canada on scheduled ops, what possible reason / justification could there be to deny a Canadian CoA now?

These situations can become really stupid in a hurry. If the Aussies could fly that plane into Canada on scheduled ops, what possible reason / justification could there be to deny a Canadian CoA now?

Not sure if that aircraft did fly into Canada but if so it would be operating on the basis of it's Australian C of A. As far as justification, once the aircraft is to be given a Canadian C of A then all records pertaining to the aircraft are vetted by our authorities, it appears in this case that there is some missing paperwork for the mods done to the aircraft.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/certification/guidance-beforejanuary2003-pl-acpl19-1309.htm

Thanks Malcolm.

Having been there, I am intimately familiar with the process; it’s all about crossed ‘Ts’ and dotted ‘Is’.

My point; the aircraft could easily have come to Vancouver, picked up Canadian travellers, crossed the Country and went on to wherever. If TC believes the aircraft is sound enough for it to come to this Country and load Canadians as described above, why is the problem so big and unsolvable now that the aircraft sits idle costing tons and may yet end up becoming Reynolds Wrap?

Defcon, real simple when under the Australia C of A then that rules, once we take over and if the paperwork is not complete and anything happens then we are liable. So good work by Transport Canada!!!!!

In a nut shell, what items would you think TC should ignore when issueing a C of A..... bad engines, landing gear, pressure bulkhead repair or ??????

Malcolm & Zan Vetter

I'd like to offer a hats off to Malcolm for his detective work in being the first to notice there was something unusual going on back in early Huly.

ZV; that might be the position WJ would take; my question from the previous post was rhetorical.

I can’t get my head around the costly insanity that comes with most efforts to change national registrations.

Question; considering the financial magnitude of the 767 purchases, wouldn’t WJ borrow someone knowledgeable from TC to attend and participate with their team when they went out to investigate the aircraft and its history pre purchase?

Malcolm & Zan VetterZV; that might be the position WJ would take; my question from the previous post was rhetorical.I can’t get my head around the costly insanity that comes with most efforts to change national registrations.Question; considering the financial magnitude of the 767 purchases, wouldn’t WJ borrow someone knowledgeable from TC to attend and participate with their team when they went out to investigate the aircraft and its history pre purchase?

Keep in mind TC is not a consulting firm. However, there are many engineers in this country who have been involved with the importation of foreign registered aircraft. It can be a complicated process and having experienced people helps. More than once I was advised a simple patch repair had no paperwork and would have to be completely re-done to satisfy the regulator, delaying delivery of an aircraft.

We do need to remember, so far there is / has been no official announcement of any problem. Perhaps all we are dealing with is rumour. Cheers

I have no info on how or why the delay, but I can say this. Not all civil aviation authorities and operators are as stringent about the care and custody of documentation for aircraft components and modifications as they should be. I've seen this result in delayed aircraft imports into Canada many times.

I have no info on how or why the delay, but I can say this. Not all civil aviation authorities and operators are as stringent about the care and custody of documentation for aircraft components and modifications as they should be. I've seen this result in delayed aircraft imports into Canada many times.

Nail. Head.

Thanks JO, that is the case for certain and everyone in the business knows it. That being the case, if WJ didn't lease a TC expert to investigate the paperwork in advance, they're now going to be spending a lot of dollars getting the ac up to specs. This sounds a bit like Canada's after the purchase experience with the used British subs.

We do need to remember, so far there is / has been no official announcement of any problem. Perhaps all we are dealing with is rumour. Cheers

Really ??? That is why a multi milliion dollar aircraft sits on the ramp for a month ??? Just rumour ??

Really ??? That is why a multi milliion dollar aircraft sits on the ramp for a month ??? Just rumour ??

Until we see a press release saying the operation is delayed I guess we need to view it as rumour... The current silence is quite different than the usual "good news" press releases that we normally see streaming out of WestJet.

Archived