Telemarketing Robocall

It's not WestJet.

Was getting up to six calls a day from these assholes. Fortunately for me it stopped after 2 months. There were two groups (or call centres?) - one in Mexico and the other in Belize. It got so annoying I figured I'd have fun with it and waste their time. I wasted my own, but at least I had some fun with it.

Upstream telco providers are at fault, they could block these lowlifes fairly easily but the call termination fees paid by VOIP providers to access the legacy telephone network are too lucrative.

One of the worst days of my life was when some scammers pretending to be Carnival Cruises spoofed my work emergency cell phone number. Boy did I hear from some angry people, I'm pretty sure that was the only time anyone has ever threatened to rape me.

The "WestJet" scammers started calling my work mobile when I was in Calgary last fall. They lasted for a couple of months then stopped. Now, we get frequent ones from someone pretending to be representing Marriott hotels. They call home, both of my mobiles, my wife's mobile and work. None of these numbers are registered with Marriott. It's very, very annoying. I've tried reporting them but so far to no avail.

I used to get both the Marriott ones and the Westjet ones. They finally Stopped when I yelled at the guy and told him he was calling an Jazz Business Phone.

I got lots of calls as well.

Blocked the number right away - now have about a dozen numbers blocked and the calls have pretty much stopped.

Get them both too. They show up as the same exchange as my cell number. Easy enough as I don't know anyone with the same exchange as me... so I just ignore (almost always).

The problem is that to some people, the number displayed on their phone is MINE. So the other day I get a call from a guy who says I called his phone; I had answered as I was going to see if I could get a live voice asking for my Visa # or something- bad day at work... in a moment of weakness I wanted to yell on a phone at somebody ;)

I explained that it's not the case and we actually had a little rant together about these low life scammers. In the end we had a chuckle about it.

Same places for me... "Westjet" or "Marriott". I know WJ has a page about it on their website.

Very annoying.

Was getting up to 3-4 "Westjet" calls a day for a couple of weeks. Then "Mariott" hotels quickly followed by "Hilton" hotels. Again at least a couple of calls a day. Then they stopped, however they started up again last week, this time with the added call promoting Disneyland offers.

Have worn out my fingers reporting these calls to the Do Not Call website, but they seem unable or unwilling to do anything. At least the free cruise calls have abated as of late.

Coincidentally, I was in YVR. A couple of weeks ago and that area was being targeted by these calls. Got 3 in one day while staying with a relative.

In the past I have received calls from Air Canada shortly after a trip on a pass. They were wanting to thank me for recently traveling with them and offering travel vouchers. Coincidence? Or did someone get access to passenger list and info?

It is not at all uncommon to get a call from someone you recently received service from. It also exploits a loophole in the do not call legislation where in you have dealing with the business in question. If they call you within (not sure how long) then the do not call is not in force. Happens to me all the time. took my car in for an emmision test at CT and 3 days later got a call from CT.

They are using spoofed number from an IP routed phone system. Good lick finding them. My home phone system is IP and I can spoof any number I want any time. I can also route numbers to a "This line is no longer in service" message which serves me well with telemarketers.

I received a robocall call yesterday from Air Canada. Since I was such a good customer they were offering a free trip.

I thought this unusual since I have not flown AC in 18 years...

"...they were offering a free trip."

Did they also offer money from a relative in Nigeria?.... ;-)

In truth, to preserve my decision to answer the phone (or not), I don't answer either my mobile or the home phone if I don't know the number. That's what answering services or machines are for. When answering, I expect the caller to identify him/herself before asking for someone; it is rude for a caller not to identify themselves. If they must be prompted, I ask who's calling and some questions regarding the purpose of the call, if answered at all. Often the ringer will be off on the mobile and it just does the dance on the local hard surface...once in a while I may look at it.

Don

I used to do the same except I got tired of having to listen to the messages left by these pinheads so that I could clear my mailbox out.

Now I just pickup and hang up if I don't like what I'm hearing.

For the record , I've received the WestJet robocall many , many times. It was the first time for an AC robocall and I was surprised to see that they are now targeting AC but I suppose I shouldn't be.

Hi airt - wow, that many...I can see how that'd be a pain. There must be a way of making the mobile "dark"; I know that once I created a small business, Google and everyone else got the number because Telus provided/sold my (one-person) business # to uncountable lists and the unlisted feature became academic. The conversation I had with Google regarding their wanting to "advertise" my business was "direct", and they were actually offended. Courtesy and manners are sales techniques now, instead of merely a social grace.

Privacy is a joke. Why is it so easy for someone foreign to one's daily life to get one's number yet it is so difficult to block same?

So we are all getting the same calls over and over again. They must be dialling millions of numbers daily.

One not so nice side effect is that they spoof using local numbers. So I often get calls now from folks saying "Hi, why did you phone me?" I didn't! So I suspect their random spoof number generator is coming up with my phone number every now and then. Agggg. :angry_smile:

Wow. I suppose one of the reasons we don't get more of these types of calls (we still get one or two a day from one place or another) is we don't use any of the social media other than a once-a-month or so looking at Facebook. No tweets, no readily identifiable personal data online.

In that regard, anyone that "takes advantage" of this new Cloud computing, especially when banking matters are involved, is setting themself up for disaster once their account is hacked. Not "if" but "when".

These calls have nothing to do with social media. They are dialing EVERY number combination in a particular area code. They use a random spoof number in that area code to make it seem like a local call as more people will tend to answer it. Also using high profile companies like Westjet, Marriott and Air Canada will get the attention of the i want something for nothing crowd. They are playing right into the hands of the gullable and oddly it does work on occasion.

My solution was to answer the call and confront the person on the line as directly as possible and control the conversation. Then tell them to simply bugger off. I no longer get the calls. I was at one a day for a while on 3 seperate phones on 3 different carriers.

That works too

My voip system allows me unlimited lines so I can park calls and still use the phone and receive calls. Pretty handy for stuff like that. There is even music

What really angers me is that the human race could free itself of these parasitic hassles if it really wanted to. Imagine a life free from scam phone calls and scam email - wouldn't that be great! One country could not do it by itself but if we all got together we could trace the phone calls back to the boiler room in Mumbai or the emails back to the basement in Scarborough and pull the plug on these "people" who provide no useful function to society.

Archived