Flight Pattern Changes For Yyc

April 29, 2015 Updated : April 29, 2015 | 9:59 pm Adjust Text Size
Calgary Airport Authority hopes flight-pattern changes will calm noise complaints
By Jeremy Nolais
Metro
Share this Article
Jennifer Friesen / For Metro The Calgary Airport Authority is introducing new measures to clamp down on noise caused by airplanes travelling along new flight paths.
Airport officials believe some flight-pattern changes coming into effect Thursday will help throttle down on noise that’s been lamented by residents for months.
Complaints began to pour into call lines at Calgary International in late June after a parallel runway opened and, as a result, the flight paths used by aircraft shifted.
In 2014, the airport said it received 1,500 complaints about the racket planes were causing.
But now the venue’s governing authority has received approval from Transport Canada to have aircraft departing from runway 17L reach 1,000 feet before deviating and even then the angle of the turns pilots make will be reduced from 15 degrees to 10.
The move will see the aircraft travel over less-populated areas while at lower altitudes.
“The aim for these changes is to keep aircraft over as much of the industrial areas as possible and as high as possible in order to decrease some the impact on surrounding communities,” airport spokesperson Jody Moseley said in a statement Wednesday.
John Arnold, president of the Whitehorn Community Association, was among those who have complained about the noise. He said, initially, the planes were so loud they would drown out basic conversation in his home.
Lately, however, he’s noticed some changes. The airport, he said, has cut back to use just one runway for late-arriivng and early-departing planes. He’s also noticed a change in flight patterns that have cut down on the duration of noise created by each passing aircraft.
“The duration of the event gone down to 20 seconds because they’re off to the side,” he said.
Moseley said the airport would continue to evaluate the new flight-pattern procedures and discuss the matter further with affected communities.
More from metronews.ca

Defcon,

The property value adjustment for new runway noise will not be known for several years.

The value the city assigns to your house for property taxes is relative to recent house sales on your street. If your neighbour sells for increase of 10%, the city will assign an additional 10% to your house assuming both are equal value. Additionally if you complete and addition onto your house that requires a building permit, the city will assess your property with the value of the improvement included.

The city then adds up all the new property values across the city as part of the mill rate determination. The aggregate sum of property value makes the gross property increase revenue neutral to the city. Therefore if your property value goes up by 10% and the city overall has 10% increase property value, there is no change to property taxes under the theoretical situation of no overall increase in property taxes.

Putting this all together, the residents living under the runway would have to see their property values increase substantially less than the rest of Calgary for there to be any impact on property taxes.

How much have, or will property values drop following the new runway's entry into operation? Are residents compensated by a reduction in property taxes or by some other method?

Compensated? The airport has been there for decades. I have no doubt that the price of the building lots in the area near the airport is lower than those further away so, IMO, those people have already been "compensated."

Compensated? The airport has been there for decades. I have no doubt that the price of the building lots in the area near the airport is lower than those further away so, IMO, those people have already been "compensated."

You are partly correct but of course the new runway was not and it appears to have a def. impact on those living under the new flight path. In the south where I live, in the past year we have seen a large number of (teal tailed) 737s turning short coming in from the west over Sundance and Midlake on their way to line up with the river. Of course we know that isn't happening as they are apparently still turning over the unoccupied area south of Calgary and then following the river north in their descent (yeah sure)... Of course we suspect that the corner cutting does save time / fuel . :icon_anal: But I don't think there have been very many complaints about that..... the North South runway (34/16) was there from day one..... :Grin-Nod:

The new runway has been planned for and protected by airport zoning regulations since 1977.

There you go. That's the factoid I was looking for. Anybody who buys a house without visiting the planning office first shouldn't be surprised when a shopping mall gets built across the street or an airport gets expanded. Right now there are hundreds of new houses being built along the eastern edge of runway 17L/35R - I bet some of those new home owners will be complaining about the noise and demanding changes before the sod gets laid in their backyard!

I think the salient point here is that, with simple changes, quality of life can be improved for neighbours. Bylaws in my town allow me to cut my grass at 7am, but just waiting a couple of hours or not cutting my grass when he's got people over sitting in the backyard or putting a muffler on my lawnmower makes me a better neighbour. I could argue that my neighbour knew I had a lawnmower when he moved in. Or, with simple changes that don't cost anything, I could be a good neighbour.

Changes to STARs in YYZ 3 years ago put traffic over areas previously not overflown and at ridiculously low altitudes more than 10 miles from the airport in all quadrants. The group I am working with in YYZ is making recommendations that would reduce noise AND SAVE FUEL AND TIME for the airlines without just shifting the problem to another neighbourhood. Yet the GTAA and Nav Canada have made no attempt to date at improving the situation. In fact, until I got on board, Nav Canada was doing everything it could to obfuscate and deflect. Now that they have someone to call their bluff, that has reduced, but still, nothing has happened. There is nothing harder to change than bad policy.

Calgary has done a good thing here. If airports and Nav Canada ignore these problems, it will eventually result in much more onerous restrictions, which can only be bad for the industry.

Simple solutions to reducing noise, especially when it saves fuel, time and greenhouse gases should not be deflected. They should be embraced.

I live not far from the approach path of RW 06///departure end of RW 24, (most used RW at YTR) and I don't hear the "noise".

When someone visits and comments on the noise I just say "Hey Man, that's the sound of freedom !!" :Grin-Nod::Grin-Nod: :Grin-Nod:

When someone visits and comments on the noise I just say "Hey Man, that's the sound of freedom !!"

What do you say when you're standing near a runway in YYC? "Hey Man, that's the sound of a bunch of people flying south to golf in Phoenix!" Doesn't have the same impact, unfortunately.

It's a sort of recycling - collecting and converting dangerous natural deposits of petrochemicals for useful and productive purposes.

"collecting and converting dangerous natural deposits of petrochemicals for useful and productive purposes."

or perhaps...removing dangerous deposits of petrochemicals from natural safe storage sites and converting them into other dangerous chemical substances which are then redistributed and deposited across the planet?

or perhaps utilizing natural resources to provide fuel for transportation thus allowing movement of goods, people and providing employment for tens of thousands.

Immigrants and babies need water, food, jobs and a place to live and poop. Never ending expansion in the human herd means there'll be less and less of everything available to individuals and everything else currently in existence on this planet. The pursuit of wealth, motivated by greed and protected by corruption shapes the never ending model of 'growth' we continue to pursue with reckless abandon.

Consider the rather poignant message contained within the following video.

n

Archived