Whoa !

Kip Powick

Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this forum Glen. I would certainly miss it and the ads aren't really any problem at all on my PC.

Cheers

Greg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rich,

You should be able to see the site in Switzerland but I still have all site access blocked from China. We have been hit hard with hacker traffic from that part of the world.

Don't mind the ads so much but the dating service stuff seems a little over the top. This taken on the morning of 25 March

Some sites use your browser history to help them target which ads to display to you. Hope that's not the case here. :103:

Some sites use your browser history to help them target which ads to display to you. Hope that's not the case here. :103:

Wouldn't affect my computers, don't think. Meticulously clean out all cache/history/etc after each session. Nice try, though!

So are you saying that not everyone is getting ads for weight loss scams and wrinkle cream? ?

In GVA now. Wasn't working yesterday nor earlier today without VPN, but now it is. Did you flip a switch or is my battle with lunacy being lost?

No, not loosing your mind, I just happened to turn this off yesterday. Stats are in and a click here and there on the ads will definitely pay for the site.

Thanks for the support.

So are you saying that not everyone is getting ads for weight loss scams and wrinkle cream?

No comment! I'm getting an ad for cheap flights; one from AC Vacations on Kissimmee, FL and one for unlimited music streaming. Makes sense based on my browsing history (whew!). ;)

The ads are targeted by the add supplier (google adsence most likely) All the admin does is tell him where he wants them and google does the rest.

Interesting. I'm using Adblock Plus and I see nothing but a band of grey on the right.

I also use adblock and normally just see a gray box/border. I have turned it off just for this website and plan to click an ad or two on every visit to provide the revenue stream for our hosts.

I'm with JO and boestar on this one, my adds are all travel related, (hotels/flights/cruises) because I did a ton of research before I booked a hotel/ booked my flights and chose a cruise line a couple of months ago..

The 'ozoners' keep track of where you go with your browser...and I could really care less but it is interesting to see what pops up.

Geminoid; sorry, I forgot the smilie thing. It doesn't matter if you, or I, are Aboriginal or not. It seems you were being mis-directed, or hi-jacked. (Never say "Hi, Jack!" In an airport!) :)

If the ad server detects no cookies on you computer it will default to the subject matter ralated items to the site you are currently on which likely served you a cookie (mmmmmmm, Cookies).

When you surf the net and gather cookies the ad server sees them and displays ads related to your surfing or interests.

Travel sites use cookies to determine if you are surfing for the best price on a flight and will alter the results based on that. That is why a limited time airfare is gone when you get back to the site. Clear your cookies and it magically comes back. To me this is unethical marketing but it seems to work. When surfing for the best price ALWAYS clear you cookies before moving to the next travel site.

I'm getting a lot of photography related ads. Which is okay, as that is a hobby.

Question: if we click on an ad how much does the web owner get? Is it hundredths of a penny?

In other words - when we are about to leave the computer is it worth out time to click on an ad and then close both windows?

Here's another way of looking at it: these tactics by google, and others, to track your browsing history and serve up tailored ads actually improve your internet experience. The ads I get on this site are for travel luggage (Redd Oxx), synthetic motor oil and for a university. I get these ads because I was recently shopping for travel luggage, motor oil and was getting information on a university for one of my kids. I decided not to buy the luggage and the fact that I continue to get banner ads for it is kind of pointless but at least it's something that had some meaning to me rather than getting hit with random ads about flyfishing, maternity bras and study-at-home courses in appliance repair.

Archived