Whoa !

Kip Powick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm I suspect it is something to do with funding the existence and operation of this site. It has been a long time since our hosts asked for any membership support (funding). Other forums use this method for all viewers and others exempt paid members (yearly membership fee).

“You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.”
Charles Portis, True Grit

More re ads, just noticed that there is a little > (adchoices) box on the top right hand corner that you can use to kill the ad and also rate it.

If the ads are there intentionally can the admin please change the dimentions of the ads to fit proportionally with the page. The large ads make the page distracting.

If the ads are there intentionally can the admin please change the dimentions of the ads to fit proportionally with the page. The large ads make the page distracting.

Isn't that the nature of all ads? :Grin-Nod:

Ads are not new, especially with free apps on our devices. The introduction of ads indicates that this site is looking for ways of monetizing our participation.

Will this site give us a choice, pay a fee for no ads or navigate around them?

If there is more to gain by having ads, I hope that the suggestion by boestar is considered.

Cheers

Ads are not new, especially with free apps on our devices. The introduction of ads indicates that this site is looking for ways of monetizing our participation.

Will this site give us a choice, pay a fee for no ads or navigate around them?

If there is more to gain by having ads, I hope that the suggestion by boestar is considered.

Cheers

Boney: with the exception of asking for once many years ago, our hosts have paid to run this forum out of their own pockets (see posters shown as Donating Member, which I was before I changed my ID). I think the ads are only a way for them to stop draining their pockets and still keep the forum running. I don't think they are looking to make a profit.

Site is back to normal for me now. I don't know if this was a planned change or if it slipped in somehow but it's a good opportunity to be reminded of how much we take this place for granted. I suggest a "contribute to the cost of running the site button" be added someplace conspicuous to make it easy to support the operation.

Dear Forum Members, First I would like to apologize for the oversized banners that were displayed yesterday that made it hard to view and navigate the forum. We are currently working on this to minimize the impact. Please pm or post any problems viewing the forum due to the current ads.

My wife and I took over this forum 14 years ago, as it was destined to cease operation and we felt it was important to keep it alive at all costs. Over the initial years we had donations to help with the financial burden and along with my flying career and our hosting company for years supplemented the website. Having sold off this company and moving out to the middle east to pursue my flying career we are and have been supporting the forum ourselves.

We feel that ads will help with the financial cost to keep AEF operational and will try and keep the annoyance to a minimum, and we have turned off any potential vulgar. We will run the adds for a period of time to see if this will be beneficial or not as it proved in the past to be minor. At this time we will not be accepting any donations but do thank you for all your support in the matter.

Regards,

Glen

We feel that ads will help with the financial cost to keep AEF operational and will try and keep the annoyance to a minimum, and we have turned off any potential vulgar. We will run the adds for a period of time to see if this will be beneficial or not as it proved in the past to be minor. At this time we will not be accepting any donations but do thank you for all your support in the matter.

Regards,

Glen

Thanks for running the forum and for giving us this place Glen. Personally, I'd choose paying dollars over viewing ads but maybe that's harder to administer. How much do the the ads pay and what do we need to do? If we all clicked an ad or two every time we visited the site would it actually earn you enough money to pay for the operation?

Thanks for adjusting the Ad sizes to be less intrusive. I know placing ads on a page to make the obvious but not intrusive is not an easy task. On my site I use ads as well, just need people to click em so google sends me a check.

Archived