A320 Down In France (Germanwings)

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/they-had-a-chance-to-maybe-stop-this-u-s-declined-to-clear-german-pilot-who-deliberately-crashed-plane

"...Lubitz went on to complete his flight training in Arizona and became a pilot for Germanwings, a regional airline owned by Lufthansa."

I did not know this! History repeats itself. I competed for a job a few years back with a former American Airlines Captain who had alerted the FBI in 1999 about some shady characters that wanted to train on the 767 at the DFW facility. For some reason, they had told AA they didn't want takeoff or landing training, just "flight training". They were denied training and the FBI did nothing. Instead, these characters showed up in Florida, got the training they wanted and today, we have the freedoms and privacy of pre-1940's Europe.

I still get sick to my stomach when the media refer to the "911 terrorist pilots".

POST-SCRIPT before I end up editing the above:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_Aviation

The two principles did in fact do ab initio flight training. Did not know that either!

There's a lot I don't know....:huh:

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the above, regarding privacy issues:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/30/suicidal-germanwings-pilot-was-promoted-despite-failing-key-test-fbi/

Suicidal Germanwings pilot was promoted despite failing key test: FBI

WASHINGTON — The German pilot who deliberately flew his airliner into a mountainside last year had struggled with learning to fly and had failed a key test of his skills during training in the US, according to FBI interviews with his flight instructors.

Cont'd . . .

• 7 months later...

German airlines drop safety rule prompted by Germanwings crash

• 1 hour ago
  • From the section EuropeI

German airlines are dropping safety rules brought in after the 2015 Germanwings plane crash which require two people in the cockpit at all times.

Andreas Lubitz killed 150 people by crashing the plane - apparently on purpose - after the plane's captain left to use the toilet.

Airlines now say the two-person rule has no safety benefits.

Eurowings, which merged with the Germanwings brand, is one of the airlines now dropping the requirement.

The German airline association BDL announced the change, which will come into effect by 1 June, on its website. It said its airlines will be re-introducing their original cockpit safety procedures.

The European Aviation Safety Agency, which was behind the original rule change, relaxed the requirements last year to allow individual airlines to evaluate their own safety needs.

BDL said that its airlines had "independently" reviewed the rules and decided that the two-person rule had no safety benefits - and could actually be more dangerous.

The group said the changes caused "more frequent and predictable" opening of the cockpit door and expanded the number of people with access to the cockpit.Image copyright Getty Images

Image caption Safety rules about cockpit access were enhanced following the 2015 crash

It also said that the risk of a similar incident to the Germanwings crash was extremely low, and the risk of criminal or terrorist activity was much higher.

Lufthansa, the country's biggest airline, is one of the groups removing the requirement. Its airlines include Austrian Airlines, Swiss Airlines, and Eurowings - which was merged with Germanwings in 2015, a process which had begun before the company's high-profile crash.

However, other airlines in Europe have said they will be maintaining the two-person rule.

The investigation into the 2015 Germanwings crash found that co-pilot Lubitz locked the plane's captain out of the cockpit when he left to use the toilet, before putting the plane into a dive.

It struck the mountains at 700km/h (430mph) an hour, instantly killing everyone on board.

Investigators later discovered he had been suffering from psychiatric issues he had hidden from his colleagues. He believed he was losing his sight - although he was not - and had been taking psychotropic medication which made him unfit to fly.

Since the Germanwings crash, additional screening measures for mental health have been introduced for pilots.

Archived