Any Word On The W S 767's

manwest

Someday it might just be WJ 787's.

We will have more info mid March on firm delivery dates. So far the plan is to have the first one flying in July with the next one coming in October then possibly another in November.

firm delivery dates in march and the first one up and flying in July. Sounds like an aggressive training schedule. New aircraft type, new destinations etc.

Just curious how will the crews for the new aircraft be selected? Seniority, appointment etc?

firm delivery dates in march and the first one up and flying in July. Sounds like an aggressive training schedule. New aircraft type, new destinations etc.

Just curious how will the crews for the new aircraft be selected? Seniority, appointment etc?

The standing bid just closed and was awarded via seniority. (lots of senior types bidding on it)

There were 3 standards pilots (A authority) previously selected. (not included in the bid)

The 767 CP Along with one of the standards pilots - have been working on the project for a while now and have completed their PPC in Miami last month. The next two standards pilots are scheduled for training later in the spring along with the first two crews of regular line guys. I'm hearing approximately 40 crews will be the total trained (for now) pending a/c utilization.

The next bid will have the majority of crews being selected and assigned training dates for this summer.

The 4th 67 is scheduled to arrive in the spring of 2016 for flying in that summer.

Cheers

Was WJ's expansion planning a little too conservative back when the opportunity to order 787’s was present?

Competing against AC’s 787’s with old 763’s is certain to increase WJ’s overall CASM in a big way.

Was WJ's expansion planning a little too conservative back when the opportunity to order 787’s was present?Competing against AC’s 787’s with old 763’s is certain to increase WJ’s overall CASM in a big way.

Maybe when it comes to fuel cost but not lease payments.

Was WJ's expansion planning a little too conservative back when the opportunity to order 787s was present?Competing against ACs 787s with old 763s is certain to increase WJs overall CASM in a big way.

Just like competing with 25 year old 737-200's vs 5 year old Airbus narrow bodies, eh?

WJ has a pretty good handle on how to run between the competitions legs.

Every 787 used to chase lower yield passengers is one less 787 available to compete head to head against other 787 operators chasing high yield passengers needed to support the high cost structure.

I guess it comes down to how you want to manage high capital cost assets.

I doubt Nordstrom at Chinook Center will be focussing it's business on recapturing the Sears crowd that shopped in that same real estate for decades.

WestJet to operate Boeing 767 on Alberta-Hawaii flights

Wednesday March 04 2015 - News Release

Mr. Chris Avery reports

E KOMO MAI (WELCOME) ABOARD WESTJET'S BOEING 767

Flights between Alberta and Hawaii beginning in December are available for
booking on WestJet Airlines Ltd.'s newly acquired Boeing 767 wide-body
aircraft. The Boeing 767, the first in the WestJet fleet, will operate
between Calgary and Honolulu, between Calgary and Maui and between Edmonton
and Maui.

"Offering non-stop, wide-body service between Alberta and Hawaii represents
an important next step in our international strategy," said Chris Avery,
WestJet vice-president, network planning, alliances and corporate
development. "This December, WestJet guests who choose the popular routes
will benefit from our comfortable 767s. Additional on-board products and
services, such as hot meals and unique in-flight entertainment options, will
continue to evolve as we get closer to launch, with an eye to providing
excellent value and a fun, friendly, people-driven guest experience."

The Boeing 767s are configured with 24 seats in Plus, offering wider seats
with more recline in a two-two-two configuration, meaning each set of two
seats is separated by an aisle. There are 238 seats in the main cabin, and
all seats have access to power for personal electronic devices such as
tablets or phones.

"These aircraft will be redeployed in summer 2016 to new and exciting
international destinations that will be announced later this year," concluded
Mr. Avery.

I see the AC 767-300 (config 1) is saying their config is:

Number of Seats 25 166 Configuration 1-1-1 2-3-2 Rows 1-9 12-3

and Rouge is:

AC 767 config 2

Premium rouge(Premium Economy cabin) rouge Number of Seats 18 246 Configuration 2-2-2 2 - 3 - 2 Rows 1-3 12 to 47

So I guess Westjet is configured to take on Rouge and not AC.

WJ's WB's were in the plan long before Rouge was tantalizing the neurons of anyone in Montreal.

The last paragraph is very intriguing, wouldn't you say?

If so then they sure took a long time to materialize while farming the flying out to TC. it will be interesting to see how the one aircraft handles the flying necessary to serve the city pairs shown in the list. I wonder what will be used as a backup in the case of a mechanical?

It took WJ, what, close to 5 years to make an appearance in the largest market in Canada.

WJ does things the, slow, methodical way. The strategy has yet to fail them.

The international destinations mentioned will be launched the summer of 2016. By that time, they'll be operating 3 + 1.

That sort of redundancy should make life tolerable.

If so then they sure took a long time to materialize while farming the flying out to TC. it will be interesting to see how the one aircraft handles the flying necessary to serve the city pairs shown in the list. I wonder what will be used as a backup in the case of a mechanical?

The plan is to have 2 by December. Same setup as Thomas Cook. 3&4 will come early 2016 I believe.

I've been away from the ETOPS world for a number of years now. Perhaps a question out of ignorance of current requirements: Does not a company need to demonstrate a maintenance reliability record in order to receive the OC for ETOPS? It used to take up to a year.

As an aside, for all 763 operators, tail strikes occur mostly on landings.

Soyez prudent!

I've been away from the ETOPS world for a number of years now. Perhaps a question out of ignorance of current requirements: Does not a company need to demonstrate a maintenance reliability record in order to receive the OC for ETOPS? It used to take up to a year.

As an aside, for all 763 operators, tail strikes occur mostly on landings.

Soyez prudent!

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but ... Safety Criteria for Approval of Extended Range Twin-Engine Operations (ETOPS)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/Publications/en/tp6327/pdf/hr/tp6327e.pdf

3.2 OPERATIONAL APPROVAL CONSIDERATIONS 3.2.1 BENIGN AREA OF OPERATION a

• 3 weeks later...

Archived