Drones And Planes

Dropzone

So this morning I go out to my backyard only to find a drone hovering overhead (there are no other houses close)....really really creepy !

I think it reasonable to assume there will be "drone driver dorks" out there, who are or will try to deliberately crash their drones into aircraft.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How high/far from you?

About 50'......directly overhead for about 2-3 minutes. By my non-expert assessment.... to maintain line of sight I don't think you could be more than about 1/2 mile away. It was gone before I had a chance to get a picture with my cellphone........I had left it in the kitchen.

I just had my house photographed (for listing) and the photographer and I talked drones. He is getting more and more into the drone photography business.

He told me it's the next 'big thing' for real estate photography, especially in West Vancouver where the houses are large and the views worth millions. He told me that his wife, who is a stay-at-home mom of a young son does the flight plans, a perfect job for her. He also said that every flight requires a flight plan and sometimes other notifications. I don't know but perhaps you ought to let the neighbours know?

Anyway perhaps Dropzone's next door neighbour has her estate for sale and that's why the drone was there.

Anyway perhaps Dropzone's next door neighbour has her estate for sale and that's why the drone was there.

None of the houses close by are for sale..... two of three neighbours claim they weren't aware of any drone activity. The owners of the third house are away.

Line of sight allows you to operate under RC aircraft rules as long as you are directly controlling the vehicle. Drones are capable of some autonomous operation which changes the rules a bit. The other thing is that it is advisable to carry MAAC insurance in case of an accident or injury. Its cheap and carries 1 million liability coverage for model aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

Does one own the airspace above one's (private) property?

Nope...But one has to have a permit to extend CB/Ham Radio Antennae etc above a specified height according to Municipal, Provincial and Federal laws. The only valid reason for reporting a drone is a noise complaint or if an individual feels they are being personally harassed.

Many municipalities are now formulating bylaws that restrict drones over residential areas unless they have a municipal permit.

"Many municipalities are now formulating bylaws that restrict drones over residential areas unless they have a municipal permit."

An attempt to protect privacy perhaps? Does the municipality even have the lawful authority to regulate / restrict the use of airspace by vehicles?

"Many municipalities are now formulating bylaws that restrict drones over residential areas unless they have a municipal permit."

An attempt to protect privacy perhaps? Does the municipality even have the lawful authority to regulate / restrict the use of airspace by vehicles?

I really don't know that fact but I do know that noise by-laws are in effect, here in Dotland that do not permit ANY noise prior to 7:00am and none after 11:00pm and no excessive noise between those hours..

My brother in Manley, (Sydney, Oz), sometimes has a drone flying around the apartment complex they're in - not flown by anyone in the complex but by off-property people and it's truly an invasion...noise, visual, privacy - all the above and more. There's nothing they can do either as the laws have not caught up there, (and Tony Abbott, the Australian erstwhile PM probably thinks a drone is something to do with bees). And yesterday I watched (for a moment only as it was sickening), a video, which did not look computer-generated, showing a large, home-made drone equipped with an assault weapon firing on dummies and cars in an abandoned quarry.

You can smell the mid-air coming between a commercial aircraft and a heavy drone but this variation on the home-made drone, while taking significant skill and application, takes the problem of drones into a new area.

Don

I've seen that video, and several of a similar nature and even if it is a CGI product (which I agree it probably is not) it's only a matter of time before someone actually makes one. The regulations worldwide are either sadly lagging behind reality or they are non-existant with regards to drone operations. Canada is, in my opinion, not even close to addressing the issue properly, and as has been indicated by other videos, is not immune from aircraft/drone operations in close proximity. Again, only a matter of time...

Robert - I've consulted with a friend and he assures me that something that powerful would have a recoil that would place anything that small and light enough to fly, in the next county with less than five rounds off, so yes, likely CGI and an actor. But most science fiction, isn't...it just takes time.

Archived