Attacked!?

UpperDeck

I couldn't tell you the difference between Japanese, Chinese or Korean lettering.

However, yesterday above the address bar on my browser (Firefox) there appeared lettering which appears to be of "foreign origin".

I immediately conducted a CC scan for malware and thought I had eliminated this "intruder" but this morning, it re-appeared but not as extensive.

Assume for discussion that my "network" has been compromised and that it has become part of a much broader network used for nefarious purposes. To what agency can one report the attack? Obviously, if a helicopter landed in my back yard and armed soldiers disembarked, I'd be calling the army or provincial police. If a computer attack has worse possible consequences that a physical armed attack, preparation for same should include dissemination of contact information to the public.

And---for the nonce---how do I eliminate this invader?

There is a fix - do you know anybody in North Korea?

Just kidding!

It could just be corrupted fonts.

A quick google and you'll find this

Heading/Bold font comes up as gibberish
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/702002

You can test that by zooming out (View > Zoom > Zoom Out, Ctrl -) to make the text smaller.

Sometimes a system restore to an earlier date than when you first noticed the problem will work. I've used hijackthis with success a few times as well, but if you're not careful you can do more harm than good as it's fairly powerful:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

I run Malwarebytes on my PC and it seems to work pretty well too.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

14 day trial of the premium version: https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/?gclid=CjwKEAiA2dSkBRCX8KmK5YrFviwSJACeYweCd8TrTMruGUs1Gw3qTm-5xZbuiPfzLhYS6HWoJ8Z5NxoCA9nw_wcB

Good luck, amigo.

Another quick thing to try is to go to My Computer and click Uninstall or Change a Program. Sort the programs by date installed and you may have inadvertently installed some kind of browser helper on Firefox that can be easily uninstalled from there.

This whole Interview/NK thing has been mishandled from the beginning at every level, probably starting with the writing of the script.

I wonder what the US's or Great Britain's reaction (both social and political) would be if a high profile Russian movie house put together a movie promoting the assassination of Barack Obama or David Cameron (or the Pope) on home soil by the Putin's FSB. Or how South Korea would react if North Korea produced a movie promoting the assassination of their President.

We consider Kim Jong-un a joke, but in North Korea he is considered a virtual God. I can see why they might be upset about the whole thing. It's one thing to poke nasty fun at his dad a la Team America, quite another to promote his assassination.

Threatening terrorism against the general population may have been a bit much, but Sony probably got what they deserved thinking that they could kite such a storyline without repercussions, especially since their servers appear to have been not well protected.

Once the movie was produced, though, movie theatres and Sony caving was probably the pinnacle of a whole bag of bad ideas. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks that the terrorists have won every time I go through security at the airport or a hockey game. But when we let them interfere with freedom of speech or choice, there's no more thinking. They have won. A whole new layer of terrorism opportunity has been exposed. It's not just North Korea that will decide what we can watch; it's anyone who doesn't like what's playing and willing to threaten terrorism ,and that applies to internal and external terrorists, for both political or religious reasons.

My bet is that it will get released at some point, probably with airport/arena style security at the theatres where it will play and, maybe, that will become the new standard. The good news is that going through airport security will seem just another normal daily routine.

:icon_anal:Get used to it.

Sony was perfectly willing to release the movie but no movie house would play it. They are looking at other methods of distribution such as streaming.

North Korea has now stated it wasn't them that hacked Sony and they want a joint Korean/US investigation and are threatening trouble if they don't get one.

Hmmm, wouldn't that just be more manipulation by them?

I don't think the movie should have been made at all, especially when it shows Kim's head blowing up at the end, I don't find that very comedic.

The US studios have produced many movies about attempts to kill the president so I don't think they are sensitive that way, although IIRC they were all fictional presidents, with the exception of JFK.

Who knows what movies have been made in Iran, Korea or Russia that may have shown similar violence to a sitting president, I sure don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that they haven't been made and or viewed.

Archived