Incredible Film And Editing; "flugsnug"

If you don't have some time to waste, don't go any further :)

I've seen this person's videos posted before (crosswind ops at Birmingham), but never looked much further until just now...

Professional or amateur I'm not sure, but it's hard not to keep surfing through his stuff (for me anyways).

• 1 year later...

More interesting video. Of course the tight in zoom and camera angle add to the drama, but a few of these landings look brutally uncomfortable.

I have never flown a twin engine high wing turbo prop but it seems to me a lot of these guys should have a little more x-wind landing training.....

They appear to maintain crab until just about over the button but then don't lower the wing and use a lot of rudder to keep it straight.

Another thing that they seem to miss is the fact that all high tail aircraft will turn into the wind immediately after landing if proper rudder is not applied. That even happened in the "T-Rex".

I am open to correction regarding technique by those of you that fly the high wing turbo props.. :biggrin1:

I've got 20 years with Dash8-100/300's. Crab on approach then lower into-wind wing, opposite rudder to line up with runway, roll onto into-wind MLG, lower opposite MLG and nose wheel. Roll in aileron until gust lock engaged.

Easy-peasy. The Dash is a great a/c in a x-wind. Max x-wind is 36 kts. I've only encountered that once landing in YKA at night. Big fun all around. Got the a/c parked and then watched WJ land their '37 in the same wind.

Not sure if they had as much fun....

Watching a lot of the turboprops, it seemed the rudder was not being used after MLG touchdown. WTF?

Many years on deHavilland products. Can't recall the dozens of times I watched someone land then let go the control column to grab the tiller once the nose is on. Like that is going to keep you straight at 90 knots!

Ya gotta fly the beast down to taxi speed. Anyone who's flown the maritimes will understand that!

OTOH, the wing down prior to touchdown should not (IMHO) be used on a large swept wing jet. That's a tail strike in the making for some.

Agreed Moon The Loon.

Crosswind landings and takeoffs need to be handled correctly. Not having ailerons into wind, just because one is afraid of the rise in spoilers, is asking for an "uncomfortable" landing and takeoff. Put as much as need. The bird is certified to handle it. Besides, you would not be using reduced thrust for takeoffs in gusty conditions so you have the thrust needed to get the "puppy" off the ground.

IMHO.

They appear to maintain crab until just about over the button but then don't lower the wing and use a lot of rudder to keep it straight.

Another thing that they seem to miss is the fact that all high tail aircraft will turn into the wind immediately after landing if proper rudder is not applied. That even happened in the "T-Rex".

I am open to correction regarding technique by those of you that fly the high wing turbo props

Watching a lot of the turboprops, it seemed the rudder was not being used after MLG touchdown. WTF?

Many years on deHavilland products. Can't recall the dozens of times I watched someone land then let go the control column to grab the tiller once the nose is on. Like that is going to keep you straight at 90 knots!

Ya gotta fly the beast down to taxi speed. Anyone who's flown the maritimes will understand that!

It seems to me like some initial attempts are made to straighten the airplane out but as is often the case with some pilots, they don't carry it through the flare and landing as required. As they begin the flare they forget about all those basics of crosswind landing technique including the fact that as the process continues along, generally MORE input is required as the airplane is flared and slowed down. I noticed that to be the case in most of those landings above. In fact I think a couple actually had the downwind MLG touch down first ?

Moon you mentioned transitioning to the NWS tiller too soon; in point of fact Bombardier actually has a Service Letter published for Q400 operators that basically says to not even touch the tiller between gear extension and slowing through 50KT. This is due to possibly inducing a NWS failure if manipulated at the wrong time (basically). So ideally the Q4 has to be "flown" right down to taxi speed.

I've said it before, I'm thankful for my "northern" time where I really learned a lot about my own limits and was able to become a more competent pilot (in my humble opinion).

Rudder pedal induce steering of the nose wheel anyway. Approx 7Degrees I believe. There should be no need to touch the tiller anyway. If you need more than 7 degrees of nose wheel you landed really badly.

• 2 months later...

As much as we'd like to avoid this kind of drama, everyone get's to feel that great sense of relief and accomplishment after pulling off a fairly good landing during insanely dangerous X - wind landing conditions at various times over the course of their career. I can't imagine how an aircraft's spindly little gear legs can take all the twisting and other load forces they receive in circumstances like those shown. Maybe that explains Blues and so many other aviators apparent fascination with gear bogies, myself included? 

Considering the potential for disaster, it's interesting to note that even inexperienced pilots consistently pull off arrivals everyone can walk away from, while what may be the majority of serious landing mishaps appear to occur in fairly benign conditions, which is perhaps a demonstration of the danger complacency poses during 'routine' operating conditions.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Same airplane.  Did a go around on the first attempt, then put it off the runway the second time.

Avherald report shows winds of approximately 240/15G26. Total "amateur hour" and an embarrassment to the profession.

For the non-pilots on here, watch the rudder (and aileron) in both clips and you'll figure out why.

For the non-pilots on here, watch the rudder (and aileron) in both clips and you'll figure out why.

That is the first thing that popped out when I watched the "over the runway" sequence.....Looks like he/she had no idea of the  cross controlling landing technique...

Archived