Union Station-Pearson Train, Discount For Employees

Seeker

From my observations, you will be able to cut out the ticket purchase - you'd have a monthly pass or carnet - and the YYZ rail station is at departure level, while the buses stop at the very lowest level, 2-4 floors below arrivals/departure. As for the time it would take you to get to YYZ on the UP, that's largely irrelevant to a discussion about price. If it takes you almost as long to use the UP as it does other transit, you wouldn't take the former even if was priced at $10 per journey. For those who wouldn't save time taking the train, the price is meaningless. The point of the train was never to serve every airport user, any more than other airport services around the world are trying to offer the fastest service option to every airport user or employee. The point is to create a fast train service to the city centre for those who would otherwise have to shell out for a cab or prefer not to spend so long on the transit system. Many of those who shell out for a cab today are submitted the receipt to their employer anyway. And employers aren't going to fret when the cost of the train is half that or less than the cost of a cab.

All good points, but I have trouble imagining that there's a market for a $30 one-way rail service that the majority of people who arrive and depart YYZ will find either useless or too expensive to use. It will be a great way to get to the Financial District during rush hour, but otherwise I just don't see it. A family of 3 arriving YYZ at 8PM on a Saturday can pile into a limo and be dropped off at the Intercontinental for $50 bucks or so. Or, they can pay $90 plus cab to use the train to Union Station and get to their hotel no sooner.

I see the purpose of it in Tokyo where you can be in Shibuya or Shinjuku in about 70 minutes instead of 2.5 hours. The Heathrow Express get you to Paddington Station in 15 minutes which is so much faster than the alternatives, yet so much cheaper than a taxi that it's worth paying for in my view. At YYZ we'd be better served by something like what Chicago (both airports on CTA lines), DCA, PHL, ATL, SFO and other places have with their existing transit services having extended rail lines to the airports. But I agree with you that we're unlikely ever to see that here.

I wasn't aware that the UPx station was going to be on the departures level. That does make it more convenient than I had expected. For some reason I thought that access was to be across the bridge to the parking structure and up from there

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't aware that the UPx station was going to be on the departures level. That does make it more convenient than I had expected. For some reason I thought that access was to be across the bridge to the parking structure and up from there

You are correct - across the bridge and up the escalator, similar to taking the train to Term 3 and to employee parking.

• 2 weeks later...

Again...On the SAME LINE I can Go from Georgetown to Union and Back for $18 EXPRESS. So for more that double the price I can travel HALF the distance. ON THE SAME BLOODY LINE.

GOUGING

Again...On the SAME LINE I can Go from Georgetown to Union and Back for $18 EXPRESS. So for more that double the price I can travel HALF the distance. ON THE SAME BLOODY LINE.

GOUGING

Please stop while you're behind. From Georgetown to Union Station, you have six trains a day, all in the morning, and only on weekdays. Every other departure is a bus. A BUS!

The products are not comparable. The airport train will depart every 15 minutes. That's a premium service.

I have a TTC express bus at my corner that goes downtown for double the regular fare - or a fare top up on top of the metropass. I also have a regular bus that goes to the subway. I have never taken the express bus even once. I don't need to pay double. It's not worth it to me.

I am not writing my councillor demanding that the express bus have a comparable fare, or smaller premium, just to suit me. It suits some people, so bless em, let them use it. That express has been around for many years. So people must use it.

I suggest you adopt the same mindset. If this service isn't for you, if it isn't worth paying the premium, if you'd rather sit in traffic in a bus or taxi, please go ahead. I do it. I can't remember the last time I took a cab or limo to the airport. For day trips, I go by car and pay the day rate which is what, $24? (No, I don't use the long-term lot or Park N Fly, it suits me to pay the premium for the convenience of being close to the terminal). I often take the TTC #52, which can take 70 minutes or more to make the trip to Pearson. That's my choice. I can afford a limo, but I choose to spend my money on wine and travel.

Please stop while you're behind. From Georgetown to Union Station, you have six trains a day, all in the morning, and only on weekdays. Every other departure is a bus. A BUS!

The products are not comparable. The airport train will depart every 15 minutes. That's a premium service.

I have a TTC express bus at my corner that goes downtown for double the regular fare - or a fare top up on top of the metropass. I also have a regular bus that goes to the subway. I have never taken the express bus even once. I don't need to pay double. It's not worth it to me.

I am not writing my councillor demanding that the express bus have a comparable fare, or smaller premium, just to suit me. It suits some people, so bless em, let them use it. That express has been around for many years. So people must use it.

I suggest you adopt the same mindset. If this service isn't for you, if it isn't worth paying the premium, if you'd rather sit in traffic in a bus or taxi, please go ahead. I do it. I can't remember the last time I took a cab or limo to the airport. For day trips, I go by car and pay the day rate which is what, $24? (No, I don't use the long-term lot or Park N Fly, it suits me to pay the premium for the convenience of being close to the terminal). I often take the TTC #52, which can take 70 minutes or more to make the trip to Pearson. That's my choice. I can afford a limo, but I choose to spend my money on wine and travel.

Metrolynx is upping the Kitchener line to all day service like the Lakeshore line. Not sure of the time line but it is iin the pipe.

Looks like the TTC is going to take on Metrolinx. By pushing this, it will be more cost effective and easier to get anywhere downtown. The problem with the express train in my opinion, is that you still have to get on the TTC to get where you want to go downtown.

This eliminates that....

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2014/12/11/ttc_rebrands_its_airport_bus_the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

Looks like the TTC is going to take on Metrolinx. By pushing this, it will be more cost effective and easier to get anywhere downtown. The problem with the express train in my opinion, is that you still have to get on the TTC to get where you want to go downtown.

This eliminates that....

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2014/12/11/ttc_rebrands_its_airport_bus_the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

I think the TTC wants to remind people the Rocket isn't going away. Still different markets, but I am glad employees will still have an express service from the subway to the airport so they don't have to be prisoners of the UP Express. :)

• 6 months later...

This is what we got from CUPE:

As you may already know, airport employees receive a discounted fare when riding any one-way UP Express ride between an origin station and a destination, including the new Up Express transit to Toronto Pearson Airport. The reduced fare is $10 one-way for airport employees (including airline crew members), but to be eligible for this reduced fare, you must first register as an airport employee on the UP Express website. Once you are registered, discounted fares can only be purchased online.

The steps to register are as follows:

1) Take a picture or scan of the front and back of your RAIC, then save it to your hard drive.

2) Click this LINK http://accomponent.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f6750312d5&id=c8c058fcdc&e=aad41163f8 to register on the UP Express website. A PDF webform will open - fill it out (you will need to input your RAIC number found at the bottom of the front of your RAIC)

3) Click “Save” to save the form to your hard drive as directed (LastName FirstName.pdf)

4) Click “Submit”; your default email will open automatically with the webform attached, remember to attach the 2 photos of your RAIC then send the e-mail.

5) You should receive a response in 10 days or less.

To log in and purchase tickets (once you are registered), click http://accomponent.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f6750312d5&id=8b43465964&e=aad41163f8.

For more information about the UP Express airport employee discount, click http://accomponent.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f6750312d5&id=ce8901f52a&e=aad41163f8.

If you have any questions about this program, please send your queries by email to: airportemployees@upexpress.com

Anybody here using it on regular basis and if so, pros and cons?

I've taken it a few times and it's a great service.

From my end of downtown since I use TTC to get to and from Union Station, the downtown-airport trip is only about 10 minutes faster by UPx than by TTC via Kipling subway station. It is, however, a lot more comfortable. No faffing around with bags on crowded busses or jostling to get on or off. Max wait for a train at either end is 15 minutes.

The connection to the subway at Union Station isn't ideal. The walk from the UPx station to the subway platform is nearly 10 minutes, and involves several short flights of stairs (no escalators), and a set of doors that would be awkward for people carrying luggage larger than a roll-aboard. It's a primitive layout for a transportation hub, but will probably improve once the renovations at Union Station are complete. The UPx station itself at Union is very nice. There's a coffee bar, a convenience store, and AC and WS have check-in kiosks on the platform. Power ports and for wifi on the trains.

The service hasn't yet been very busy, but I hope it does well. The standard one-way fare is a bit of a rip-off, but the Presto fare is reasonable for what you get. There's also a family fare where 2 adults and I can't remember how many kids can ride for $55-ish, I think. We employees are getting a steal at $10 IMO.

For the same price as a cab. Where is the advantage except maybe a 15 minute difference in travel time? And the cab drops me at the door not way up in the parking garage.

I still maintain that the price for the line is too high.

My son used the UP train yesterday. His apartment is across from the ACC so it's a easy walk to Union Station. Limo rides to YYZ used to be $80-90 so this is a major savings. However, as with much of Toronto's transit system, only a limited number of people get to take advantage of this method of transportation.

For the same price as a cab. Where is the advantage except maybe a 15 minute difference in travel time? And the cab drops me at the door not way up in the parking garage.

I still maintain that the price for the line is too high.

I agree that the fare is too high for individual fares but I don't see a family of 5 getting into a cab with 5 suitcases, especially if the trunk is full of a propane tank. Even 4 would be difficult.

The 5 person limit on a family fare is actually a poor decision from a revenue perspective.

It would make sense to charge $15-$20 for individual fares if they want this to be a truly good example of successful public transit.

From a guaranteed delivery perspective, getting on a dedicated train from downtown Toronto is a lot more guaranteed to get you where you want to be ON TIME than getting into a cab. Anyone who has tried to get out of downtown during rush hour or after a baseball, football, soccer, hockey game in a car knows that nobody has any idea how long the trip to the airport will take.

Inchman: not knowing the present day Toronto or the number of familes with children that live downtown, I am surprised that any service from downtown Toronto to the airport would have any large number of family travelers to draw upon. Has the downtown area changed into a family friendly residential area?

Archived