Air Canada 777Hd Business Class Review

upgraded

Thankfully the seat change is being made on the HD 777 - it's simply atrocious versus the money charged for it. After 5 years as an AC SE, I will lose my SE status this year because of it - I just don't fit and I've been flying CX to HKG and onward to connections in Asia. Lots of AC frequent flyers to Sout-East Asia will welcome the new 787 J pod seat - which is the same seat used on CX. From my travels alone, AC has lost some $30K in revenue in 2014 because of the poor J seat to HKG. AC has been making a lot of good decisions lately, the current J seat on the HD 777 was not one of them - it never makes sense to disenfranchise so many of your loyal customers.

Thankfully the seat change is being made on the HD 777 - it's simply atrocious versus the money charged for it. After 5 years as an AC SE, I will lose my SE status this year because of it - I just don't fit and I've been flying CX to HKG and onward to connections in Asia. Lots of AC frequent flyers to Sout-East Asia will welcome the new 787 J pod seat - which is the same seat used on CX. From my travels alone, AC has lost some $30K in revenue in 2014 because of the poor J seat to HKG. AC has been making a lot of good decisions lately, the current J seat on the HD 777 was not one of them - it never makes sense to disenfranchise so many of your loyal customers.

Maybe you can clarify this, but wasn't the choice of J seats for these planes determined by the airline for which they were originally intended? As the story goes, they weren't originally meant for AC, and AC picked them up at an aggressive discount given as compensation for 787 delays.

Moe, I agree that the seats need to go, and They are but here's a little snippet to explain why it still is a big financial decision.

"Back in the '90s, he explains, airplane "seats were large, and they reclined, but they looked more like dentist's chairs than like luxury furniture." Design firms like the London-based James Park Associates are responsible for those glorious premium trappings of the modern first class flight—spacious seats that fold out flat into a bed and boast personal entertainment consoles, closets, and more. Those first-class seating units can cost A HALF MILLION DOLLARS EACH. In part, that's because airplane interiors are regulated with such intense scrutiny, every single facet of the design has to undergo rigorous testing and conform to standards of "delethalization," the technical term for when an object probably won't impale you/set you ablaze during a crash:"

The article later says that each screen has a rule of thumb of about 1000 dollars per inch. 20 inch screen 20000 dollars time 40 = nearly a million per airplane.

I'm aware that the current Pods are around that price. Pulling out 20 million dollars of seats per plane and putting in another 20 million dollars plus another million in IFE, requires some careful planning.

Not sure who was meant to receive them - they are the same style as SWISS but not the same colour. Anecdotally, I heard they were meant for Asiana but I can't confirm that. Who ever they were meant for, AC added it's new premium economy seats and economy seats - so they took the time (and cost) to do those. Maybe it was a down time issue or a supplier issue but I'm glad all the 777's are switching over to the new pods which are a very nice seat in terms of length, turning over while sleeping, and shoulder width at sleep (the armrest depresses downwards for additional upper body/shoulder space).

• 4 weeks later...

According to the F/A's I know there is not a lot of love for the Y-seat with pax or F/A's working the Y-class section on the HD. This high density aircraft should be on Europe flights of less than 9 hours not on YVR-HKG and 13 plus hours. In My opine.

Archived