Weight Restriction Ex-Hnl

props2you

What kind of aircraft, where to, what time of day?

Example - B767, HNL>YVR, any time of day, I can't see any weight restrictions at all, same airplane HNL > SYD or NRT, perhaps. B737, OGG>YYC, hot day, perhaps restricted due weight-temperature-runway length, (tho' not altitude of airport !...;-) Have there been problems before? I don't recall seeing the topic posted/discussed before. Seating restrictions due WAT limits is pretty rare - seen it once out of Nairobi in a B747-200 destined to LHR.

Hi J.O. - yeah, that's why I put the B737 in the response...it could be limited depending upon factors mentioned. However, HNL has long runways so lift isn't the problem; - if it's a long destination the restriction would be on the ZFW to carry fuel instead of passengers, and that in turn is affected by winds aloft, whether significantly or not one can't tell until the flight plan is created.

Hi Kasey;

Re, "I have flown empty seats out of HNL many times on the 767 due to the increased weight in the hold"

To YVR? I can see restrictions due freight or fuel on long-haul but on a six-hr flight?

That said, your advice is excellent! We routinely purchase Z fare alternatives on any routes that could be questionable and return them after the trip - works well.

Kasey - okay, thanks!

It says something when freight pays better than passengers on certain routes.

I can recall asking for 4T more fuel on YVR > HKG; to do so on that day would have meant the deplaning of that amount of freight...very expensive, so I went with a different alternate and it worked.

Innuendo...could be eh? Depends upon how the ZFW is divied up!

Kasey, You mentioned flying with open seats when hauling pineapples. Was that recently? I know that was a problem years ago with the 767-200. Since then, there has always been an alert even if it is unnecessary. I guess the higher density Rouge 767-300 might have a problem but I do not believe Rouge goes to Hawaii right now.

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified it's the AC 767 and yes there is a weight restriction alert. I was just trying to get an idea of how any seats went out empty on average. Is it really due to pineapples? I recall even the A340 showing weight restricted out of HNL back in the day.

Archived