Mad Hatters

blues deville

One of my mentors as a young engineer was actually involved in the court case that alloewed us to use the term engineer. The professional engineers took offense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the objections of those who hold an engineering degree. I doubt though, that they have to work any harder, or longer at their studies, yet that degree is so much more $valuable$ than our licence.

I stopped caring what label was put on me some while ago... but AME's often have a bit of a complex about it.... I suspect that's sometimes driven by jealousy and the lack of "glory" when he/she compares his/her own lot to that of the pilots.

Can someone please explain to me when the glory is supposed to arrive? After 28 years, I'm still waiting! LOL. :)

Some of the glory comes with making it in the 6 figure salary range. Few AMEs ever make it to that level. ;)

Defcon, I was contemplating posting a picture of a Jazz Pilot going through the bypass in YYC who did, indeed, have a Ponytail out the back of his hat. I don't believe it would be ok to do that here.

As to the earring, AC does have 1 EMJ Captain in YYZ who wears (or did) a diamond stud.

I believe both of these individuals are seeking a fight which they can probably win with damages and then take early retirement.

The thing which really boils me when I see this is I'm sure on initial interview day there were no visible earrings, ponytails, nose rings, and tattoos. They were covered up and hidden, just waiting till probation was over so that the lawsuit fight could begin.

That particular Jazz pilot grows his hair so that once per year he can have it cut to be used for wigs for cancer patients.

So while to some it may seem unprofessional, I give that individual top marks for caring about someone other than himself.

That particular Jazz pilot grows his hair so that once per year he can have it cut to be used for wigs for cancer patients.

So while to some it may seem unprofessional, I give that individual top marks for caring about someone other than himself.

I'm probably going to get myself in trouble for saying this but are you sure the "wigs for cancer patients" isn't just an excuse to have long hair for eight months out of the year? I get the sacrifice when a woman cuts her long hair to make a wig 'cause it's a big deal for a woman to get her hair cut real short but for some dude to get a short haircut doesn't really seem like a sacrifice. Meanwhile he gets to prance around like Fabio for most of the year.

fabio-shills-for-plug-in-america_1003323

@Mitch. IMO there is no comparison between the amount of work required to become a Mtce engineer vs a professional engineer.

There is a lot more school and studying on the professional side. I say this not to denigrate any Mtce folks who I have always referred to as engineers, just no comparison in what it takes to do the schooling.

I'm probably going to get myself in trouble for saying this but are you sure the "wigs for cancer patients" isn't just an excuse to have long hair for eight months out of the year? I get the sacrifice when a woman cuts her long hair to make a wig 'cause it's a big deal for a woman to get her hair cut real short but for some dude to get a short haircut doesn't really seem like a sacrifice. Meanwhile he gets to prance around like Fabio for most of the year.

&

Yep, it sounds a bit scammy to me. There are lots of ways to contribute, maybe next year Rich could introduce him to the joys of running. ;)

Tough crowd. ;) I took Rudder's comment at face value, & really, whatever the guy's reason, who should care? I suppose, within bounds, that employers feel entitled to set some sort of male-hair-length guideline, even if a few might find it irrational, intrusive, and discriminatory, but if somebody has a ruse that provides a benefit for afflicted people, and gains a waiver, where's the problem? As for any suggestion of dishonesty, is there any grounds for that?

Cheers, IFG :b:

A ruse that provides a benefit for afflicted people is still a ruse. I was being tongue in cheek about it, but what's the difference between you calling it a ruse, and me saying it sounds a bit scammy? ;)

A ruse that provides a benefit for afflicted people is still a ruse. I was being tongue in cheek about it, but what's the difference between you calling it a ruse, and me saying it sounds a bit scammy? ;)

Hi, cp fa - Truth to tell, it wasn't the 'scammy' that struck me, it was the admonishment to seek another way to contribute.

IAC, I don't think 'ruse' and 'scam' are absolutely synonymous (I tend to think of it more in a context of a kind of cleverness, rather than a kind of fraud), but I'm certainly no etymological authority, so I'll drop the use of 'ruse' entirely. How about:

... if somebody has a proposal that earns a waiver, that provides a benefit to afflicted people, where'e the problem? (regardless of whether that proposal also fulfills a personal vanity, which is speculation anyway) ...

As I said, I took Rudder's comment at face value, I'm just curious about why an apparently identifiable individual is having his motives called into question on such a trivial (IMHO) matter. :stirthepot:;)
Cheers, IFG :b:

I'm just curious about why an apparently identifiable individual is having his motives called into question on such a trivial (IMHO) matter.

I've never met the guy and, for all I know, he might be the most selfless, giving and altruistic person in the country. There. Am I covered?

It just seems odd to me; a guy in a profession that normally demands short hair growing his hair long in order to donate it to a charity. I guess am just a skeptic.

I can appreciate your concern Seeker and I don't know anything of this individual, but what if someone close to him had passed before he ever thought of being an airline pilot and during an emotionally trying period he made a personal commitment of some kind to a process that he now honours? Anyway, I don't know and your suspicions may be accurate?

Here's the thing about pilot uniforms... A lot of people are scared of flying, and the way you wear your uniform in public can either inspire confidence, or reflect badly on you, your company and your profession. If you're schlepping through the terminal, hat tucked under your arm, tunic wide open, shirt looks like you washed it with your new jeans and your iron is broken, your tie is a veritable Petrie dish of your last few crew meals, pants that make people wonder why you have a long haired dog if you can't afford a lint brush, and/or dusty black running shoes, you're not inspiring confidence. You're making people wonder what kind of a job you'll do in the flight deck if you can't get it together enough to show up for work looking like a grown up.

And, as an added side bonus, the hat makes you look handsome. :)

Here's the thing about pilot uniforms... A lot of people are scared of flying, and the way you wear your uniform in public can either inspire confidence, or reflect badly on you, your company and your profession. If you're schlepping through the terminal, hat tucked under your arm, tunic wide open, shirt looks like you washed it with your new jeans and your iron is broken, your tie is a veritable Petrie dish of your last few crew meals, pants that make people wonder why you have a long haired dog if you can't afford a lint brush, and/or dusty black running shoes, you're not inspiring confidence. You're making people wonder what kind of a job you'll do in the flight deck if you can't get it together enough to show up for work looking like a grown up.

And, as an added side bonus, the hat makes you look handsome. :)

Exactly. All good points. However, still waiting for the "handsome" thing to kick in.

u·ni·form
ˈyo͞onəˌfôrm/
adjective
  1. 1.
    not changing in form or character; remaining the same in all cases and at all times.
    "blocks of stone of uniform size"
  2. 2.
    denoting a garment forming part of a person's uniform.
    "black uniform jackets"
noun
  1. 1.
    the distinctive clothing worn by members of the same organization or body or by children attending certain schools.
    "airline pilots in dark blue uniforms"
    synonyms: costume, livery, regalia, suit, ensemble, outfit; More
  2. 2.
    a code word representing the letter U, used in radio communication.
verb
  1. 1.
    make uniform.

The emphasis is mine.

The Uniform is one way to differentiate one organization from another it is a signature of sorts. the Uniform is a direct representation of the company. A poorly worn or maintained uniform reflects badly on the company you, as a pilot, are representing.

Along with the uniform there is the matter of "Short" hair. This is a military throwback that enhances the neat appearance of said uniform but in reality does not have much to do with appearance at all. the short hair came into play as a way to minimize head lice infestations among soldiers in the trenches.

Along with the uniform there is the matter of "Short" hair. This is a military throwback that enhances the neat appearance of said uniform but in reality does not have much to do with appearance at all.

I disagree. A bunch of guys with short hair all look the same - uniform - a bunch of guys with long hair look like this:

lynyrd-skynyrd-4fa710b6f3b63.jpg

I was thinking about the benevolent guy who grew his hair long for charity.

We all have charities or causes. If everyone in uniform wore a symbol of their charity or cause it wouldn't be very uniform. Some would wear ribbons, others armbands, others might wear a head wrap to show support for someone undergoing chemotherapy. If we let a guy wear his hair long, what's to stop a guy from wearing "John 4:12" pinned to his back?

It's great that people have causes. At work, in a uniform, is not the place to display it. There are other ways to provide support for cancer victims without growing your hair long.

And, the hat is part of the uniform. It should be worn. There is no reason not to except for conceit.

I am sure that is a battle neither party wants to fight. Women can have long hair as long as it is worn up or in a pony tail. Why not a man? Let the fireworks fly.

Just so you know. I am a proponent of the military style of crisp uniform and short hair.

One of my mentors as a young engineer was actually involved in the court case that alloewed us to use the term engineer. The professional engineers took offense.

You guys should go to the UK...everyone there is an "engineer"....the Professional Engineer, the AME, the guy who repairs your refridgerator, your lawn mower etc....

I asked about this and I was/am surprised that UKProfessional Engineers don't object to the common use of the term Engineer...

It was actually a court case in Canada when the Professional Engineers sued [someone] over the use of the term. AMEs were allowed to keep it but others were not.

Some definition here.

MECHANIC is a Trade recognized by the government as such.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer is NOT a recognized trade in any form.

AMEs have a College requirement as well as an experience requirement to fulfill before becoming Licensed. Once licensed you still cannot release an aircraft (Transport Category) without further training specific to type.

Typical training for a new aircraft type ranges from 4 weeks to 6. but the learning doesn't stop there because there is no way you can "KNOW" an aircraft in that amount of time.

Mechanics have a schooling requirement of a few weeks a year during their apprenticeships and once they are licensed there is no further mandatory training although manufacturers do offer training for new technologies.

AMEs don't get as dirty as mechanics. :Grin-Nod:

Archived