Breaking News! Westjet To Charge Travellers For First Checked Bag

The thing that I find confounding is the, perhaps contempt isn't the right word but, disdain maybe, that some of you seem to have for those who bring baggage. "People will learn quickly" and "that'll teach people" etc. This is a service business, shouldn't we be approaching this problem from the point of view of the customer? How can be allow people to bring what they want whatever that is, in a manner that is efficient, covers the cost and a profit, while still making the entire experience enjoyable. So much of this talk views the passengers and their baggage as a hindrance rather than the entire purpose of the enterprise itself. As I said above, no wonder everyone hates flying.

But flying can be very pleasant. AC has nice pods on its intercontinental fleet. A few airlines still have a luxurious intercontinental first class. Anyone who wants to fly in terrific comfort can select one of those products when they book. Likewise, people who want to fly at far below an airline's cost can often do that too, but they crack me up when they whine and moan and get all dramatic about how horrid the experience is.

• Like 3
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Passengers need to be trained not to bring 7 pair of socks, underwear, shirts and pants for a 7 day trip. They don't need 5 pairs of shoes. They don't need to bring their giant cans of hair spray and

But flying can be very pleasant. AC has nice pods on its intercontinental fleet. A few airlines still have a luxurious intercontinental first class. Anyone who wants to fly in terrific comfort can

There's cost involved in providing a checked baggage service. Asking those who use the service to pay for it isn't nickel-and-diming them in my opinion. Air travel was usually more pleasant before th

Posted Images

Nonsense. I've put a soft roll-on in a Q400 bin today and Mrs Bean's acoustic / electric roadie guitar, (in a soft sided case), has no problems either.

Nonsense right back at ya. I'm telling you my experience not what I thought happened. Gate checked on both WestJet and Alaska.

Yea. I guess I forgot Godin makes a fold up acoustic electric. Silly me. It'd never fit in a Q400 bin. Half

a dozen times........

I'll be on a WS Q400 on Thursday with my soft roll on that holds everything I need for a couple of days in the overhead bin.

Not a problem.

Someone made an absurd claim that nothing larger than laptop would fit in a Q400 overhead bin.

I've flown in both a AC Express and Encore Q400's in the past couple of weeks with my roll on with no issues at all.

If you want to believe unmitigated nonsense, that's your business. I choose not to.

Well that was a bit of an exaggeration, taking literary license and all, but our medium sized bags were gate checked.

But while we are at it, we had to wait two and half hours in YVR for a pilot to come in from YYC so they could fly the 15 minute flight to YYJ.

In retrospect I wish they hadn't. Apparently WestJet hasn't figured out that you have to fly the Q400 on to the runway, you can't chop the power and make a smooth landing.

I have never experienced a landing that hard, I expected emergency crews to be picking us up off the runway. In contrast the Alaska flight we took to SEA a couple of days later was smooth as silk, but we still had to gate check our bags.