Porter Looking To Sell, Lease Back Toronto Island Terminal

dagger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The contracted ground handlers at the bigger WS bases are unionized - YYZ, YVR. YEG was unionized back in the late 90s but I think the strike was broken. I do not know if there was ever an actual resolution to the strike. Logically I want to think there must have been but I know most of the strikers gave up.

At the time Canadian was till around and the majority/loudest picketers were CAW or IMAW (can't remember which) guys trying to keep everyone unionized on the ramp in YEG.

A huge reason that WS won't self handle in YYZ is they do not want to give the unions a wedge into the company.

TAC - turn around crew.

At the time YYC went self handle it was WS biggest base by far. WS had goner through contracted handlers and just finally decided they could do it themselves. See above for why they do not self handle in other bases along with the fact that in a mid size base, like YWG or YUL for example, there is not a compelling enough reason to self handle. The operation is not so big that handlers can't do a decent job.

ETS - YMM is self handle as the economy there is so hot that handling companies can't keep staff. Most of the TAC guys have other jobs and work at WS for flight bennies.

Archived