Totally O. T. - Darwin Has Another Candidate For His Awards

They have no more control over it than we do. you know that. Our system is not by the people for the people it is by the government for the corporation. people be damned

There's no argument from here; the feds have gifted the nation's cops into believing they're a military force and we, the enemy. The consequences of this aggressive re-make is finally beginning to stand out to the public.

BTW, did anyone hear the news from three, or four days ago; a black cop shot an unarmed white 18 year old 'boy'? Probably not?

Guest longtimer

There's no argument from here; the feds have gifted the nation's cops into believing they're a military force and we, the enemy. The consequences of this aggressive re-make is finally beginning to stand out to the public.

BTW, did anyone hear the news from three, or four days ago; a black cop shot an unarmed white 18 year old 'boy'? Probably not?

Are you talking about the US or Canada? If Canada, I don't see any indication of that.
Guest longtimer

boestar

So in your mind a shooting in Toronto = all cops in Canada are running amuck? They are however and have always been considered to be "para-military" forces. I see nothing wrong with that.
If we take your isolated case as being the norm then I guess based on aviation accident data (pilot error) we should consider all pilots as ...................................... (fill in the blank). :biggrin1:

My point was that is does happen here. there are dozens of examples of excessive force etc by police in Canada. Even deaths at the hands of the police. I am not saying "ALL Police" at all as I have a very good relationship with several police officers. I just fear that we to are following that path.

Guest longtimer

In the category of Dumb and Dumber

Man hurt trying to ride on TTC bus bumper, police say

32 year-old-man taken to hospital with life-threatening condition

A man was seriously hurt falling from the back of a TTC bus after standing on the back bumper without the driver's knowledge.

At 1:47 a.m., a 32-year-old man was found lying on Eglinton Avenue East, near Markham Road, Toronto police said. He was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

A police investigation determined that the man had been seen standing on the bumper of a TTC bus and holding onto the vehicle minutes before.

Police said the bus driver didn't know the man was on the back bumper.

A portion of the man's journey on the bus bumper was recorded and shared on social media, police said.

Investigators want to hear from witnesses, including those who may have recorded the fall or the moments leading up to it.

Anyone with information is asked to contact 416-808-1900, or to call Crime Stoppers at 416-222-8477.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm another attempt to impede the evolution of our species. :Grin-Nod: Next we will be asked to fence off anything that might hurt anyone who does not read warning signs.

Many don't believe a barrier is needed to keep visitors safe at the iconic Peggys Cove.

Ray Bradshaw/Global News

PEGGYS COVE, NS – It doesn’t happen often, but every time someone is swept into the ocean at Peggys Cove, the question comes up; should there be some sort of barrier to keep people from going onto the black rocks where waves crash the shoreline? There is no question the iconic tourist sight is beautiful, but it is also tremendously dangerous.

“I guess you’re made aware on the drive in as the hazards that you can face along here,” said Lorna Barry, visiting the community today from Ireland. “As soon as you come into the interior of (the community), it dies down quite a bit, and it could definitely be increased, definitely closer to the rocks and coastline.”Thousands of tourists descend on Peggys Cove every year. There are signs warning people of the danger of walking on black rocks closest to the water, but after yesterday’s tragedy, many are wondering if more needs to be done to keep people safe.

Claire Lewis, also of Ireland, said a cliff in her homeland is fenced to keep people from getting too close, but it also has a negative effect. “It ruins the landscape,” said Lewis, “takes a bit from it, so like maybe a bit more signage when you come into the car park and a bit more round the rocks maybe.”

The operators of the Peggy’s Cove Bed-and-Breakfast doubt a barrier would work. “I think you would find that people would be climbing over the fence and the fence would ruin the natural beauty of Peggy’s Cove which is what it’s all about,” said Judy Cotterell.

Mark Quibell, the Manager at the Sou’wester Gift Shop said, “people always want to get a little closer – they’re looking for that big photo op or whatever the case may be and I don’t think putting up fences and barricades would work. I mean people can climb a fence, people can go under ropes and what’s that going to do to the beauty of the coastline as well.”

The minister responsible for tourism in the province said the situation will have to be revisited. “The discussion around fencing has taken place in the past,” said Nova Scotia Minister of Business, Mark Furey. “That would be very challenging. I think the site as we know it we want to maintain as accessible as possible.”

I haven't been to Peggy's Cove, but a few years back we toured the Aeran island of Inishmore. There's an old fortress there (500 BC) called Dun Aengus. It was built on a 100 metre high cliff overlooking the Atlantic. Tourists are free to walk around the fortress and right up to the edge where there is no barrier nor warning signs, just a straight drop in excess of 300 ft to the crashing waves below. People (my wife included) were walking right up to the edge and looking over with no fear at all. I couldn't muster the courage as my knees were collapsing in fear as I tried to get close. I did manage to lean against a wall that was about 20 ft from the edge to pose for a picture, but I was not comfortable doing it. Give me your highest fastest roller coaster and I'll laugh my butt off. Cliffs over the ocean - not my thing.

• Like 2

This story begins about twenty years or so ago in a small town called Port Stanley, which is located on the north central shore of Lake Erie. Here, a concrete pier extends 1/3 of a mile or so into the lake. The town was a summer tourist trap and the pier its most favourite attraction.

On graduation night a group of local high school students went to the end of the pier to celebrate. The weather was atrocious. Before long, a very large wave, something everyone is, or should be aware of washed over the pier and dumped the students into a boiling lake. Several were drowned.

Following the funerals of their friends several days later the students again went out to the end of the pier to give a so-long style toast. The weather was atrocious. Before long, a very large wave swept over the pier and washed the students into a boiling lake. Several more died.

The municipality responded by erecting a huge fence and closed the pier to all pedestrian traffic. The tourist traffic dropped substantially and has remained depressed ever since. The town is currently re-considering the closure.

I haven't been to Peggy's Cove, but a few years back we toured the Aeran island of Inishmore. There's an old fortress there (500 BC) called Dun Aengus. It was built on a 100 metre high cliff overlooking the Atlantic. Tourists are free to walk around the fortress and right up to the edge where there is no barrier nor warning signs, just a straight drop in excess of 300 ft to the crashing waves below. People (my wife included) were walking right up to the edge and looking over with no fear at all. I couldn't muster the courage as my knees were collapsing in fear as I tried to get close. I did manage to lean against a wall that was about 20 ft from the edge to pose for a picture, but I was not comfortable doing it. Give me your highest fastest roller coaster and I'll laugh my butt off. Cliffs over the ocean - not my thing.

It's simple, Jeff. About 30 feet (10 meters if you will), get down on your hands and knees, then flat on your belly and crawl your way to the edge.

Most people will agree it's much easier holding onto your heals than pushing you off!!! :Dancing-Chilli:

Apparently I have trust issues, because there ain't no one - my wife included (and I trust no one more) - who could convince me that your proposal is workable. To paraphrase Jim Croce,

I don't tug on Superman's Cape

I don't spit into the wind

I won't pull the hat off the ol' Lone Ranger

And I ain't hangin' off no cliff.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Dumb, dumber and stupid ... I feel for the driver of the car

Swedish man killed in Sydney shopping trolley crash
_86601060_gettyimages-76201713.jpgImage copyright Getty Images

A Swedish man has died and another has been seriously injured in a shopping trolley accident in Sydney, Australia.

Police say the men, both 28, found the trolley and were riding it down a steep hill in the eastern suburb of Randwick just after midnight when they hit a car coming the other way.

The man who survived had just arrived in Australia - he remains in hospital and police said he could face charges.

The trolley had reached speeds of up to 80km/h (50mph), said police.

"The male that was in the shopping trolley was catapulted out landing in a kerb," Det Supt Gavin Dengate told local media.

"Unfortunately we all know what shopping trolleys are like, and they are very difficult to control [it's] very very tragic."

He said riding in a shopping trolley "must be one of the most dangerous things you can do".

The 45-year-old driver of the car, who was not injured, tested negative for drugs and alcohol.