Totally O. T. - Darwin Has Another Candidate For His Awards

J.O.

How could anyone expect a physically weak child to control a weapon in full auto fire; that's just nuts? I guess the so-called instructor apparently didn't have much of a knowledge base when it came to firearms?

There's another way to look at this...people are always going to involve themselves in all kind of risky behaviour and sheet will continue to happen. Life is full of risk; it's the summer vacation period and people are engaging in all sorts of activities with their kids that are dangerous and questionable, but only in the aftermath of disaster.

How about white water rafting? Archery? Go Carting? Zip Lining?

I don't think he is (he can answer for himself) but there is a part of society that is and will continually push the envelope for risk/reward. I think the parents of this little girl are irresponsible but that's just me. They've got to live with the fact their little girl killed someone.

Any reference to this little girl killing anyone is absurd. She should not have a that moniker hanging around her neck.

She had no more involvement in the death than she would if someone had held her hand around a knife and stabbed someone with it. She was no more than a passive participant and had no idea of the physics involved and the miriad of things that could, and were about to, go wrong.

Her parents, the instructor and the shooting range are certainly complicit. But the little girl's involvement throughout the process was simply that of an observer.

The Americans have a completely different view than Canadians on the Gun thing but that's a different discussion.

In Many places in Canada, guns are placed in the hands of young kids. Maybe not an Uzi, but certainly a .22 or the like. In many rural parts of Canada hunting is taught to kids at a very young age. These kids are taught how to properly handle a firearm safely (for the most part). There are generally very few accidents that are firearm related in this context.

In the USA this "training" is for sport not hunting. Americans still believe in the 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms even though the likelihood of a British soldier occupying their town is extremely unlikely. This mentality is increasingly being spurred on by the threat of the government imposing more restrictions on gun ownership. With that MANY more people are joining the ranks of Gun owners. In fact in a town in Georgia it became LAW to OWN a gun.

The act of target shooting with a firearm like an Uzi is not inherently dangerous for the operator but I seriously think some better judgment with regards to the ability of the individual to control the weapon was warranted. I am not against kids shooting guns, I Started shooting at a young age and began coaching in my teens. I still shoot once in a while but no longer actually own any firearms (although a Crossbow is on my Christmas list). As a former shooting coach and Range Safety Officer I would never have allowed this girl to fire fully auto until it was actually demonstrated that she could handle the recoil.

My first post accurately reflects my instant reaction to the news and the position I maintain; letting a little kid 'play' with a weapon like this with the intention of blasting away at human silhouettes is nuts and something that I would never let my kids be involved in.

After some re-hashing in my mind I thought; 'but that's only my opinion. After all, people do all kinds of things with and to their kids that I never would, so what the heck....

Legislation can and will never protect the world from stupid.

The topic of guns is a tough one because you are either all in or all out. There really is no grey area to speak of. They do have a place but that place is not for everyone. Hunting is a good place but not everyone agrees with hunting either. Recreational shooting is a take it or leave it sport. Personally I quite enjoy it. Where I shoot there are no human shaped targets only round ones. We do not teach how to shoot to kill only how to hit the centre of a circle (or at least as close as possible) I leave anatomy to the doctors.

Handing a small child an Uzi simply requires no comment as it is an insane action.

The US gun-craziness continues apace - from Bloomberg News:

People Aren't Buying Guns
By Kyle Stock August 27, 2014

Coming off a year of record sales, the gun market is cooling off. And overeager gunmakers are still struggling to dial down their expectations.

In the recent quarter, Smith & Wesson (SWHC) sales dropped 23 percent, to $131.9 million, and profit plunged 45 percent, to $14.6 million, according to a report late yesterday. Long guns and “modern sporting rifles,” in particular, lost favor among shooters, but handguns cooled off as well. Smith & Wesson shares slumped almost 15 percent on the news.

Sturm Ruger (RGR), another force in the industry, had similarly weak numbers at the end of July. Sales for Sturm dropped 13.4 percent, to $153 million, in the latest quarter, while profit slid by almost one-third, to $22.3 million.
Story: NRA Scolds ‘Weird’ People Brandishing Guns in Coffee Shops: Four Blunt Points: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-03/nra-scolds-weird-people-brandishing-guns-in-coffee-shops-4-blunt-points

The problem, according to both companies, is too many guns. Executives are grousing about “high inventory,” stubborn retail partners, and a glut of guns in such stores as Cabela’s. They are less eager to acknowledge that high inventory in any business comes from only two places: low demand and/or too much supply.

This week, Smith & Wesson’s chief executive, James Debney, went so far as to suggest that stores were just clogged up with the wrong guns—an “unfavorable mix” of “lesser brands and hard to sell products.” Sturm Ruger, meanwhile, took a similar tact, blaming itself for not producing enough cool new firearms.

What the industry really needs is a few lawmakers advocating a gun-control bill. That’s what pushed the gun business to record highs last year in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shootings. Those fears, however, have largely abated, and gun sales have gone with them. Even reports of ammunition shortages are dying off.
Story: Guns Allowed All Over—Except Near Politicians: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-15/guns-allowed-all-over-except-near-politicians

The National Shooting Sports Foundation argues that the industry is just returning to “a new normal.” The number of background checks processed by the FBI this year, while way off last year’s pace, still reflects a decade-long rise in gun interest. “The sky certainly is not falling,” Steve Sanetti, CEO of the foundation, said in a statement. “Like a rocket ship, we’ve returned to Earth, but we haven’t gone back in time.”

Meanwhile, gun executives are taking aim at hunting season, their best time of year, while trying to hold their fire on production. “We’re hitting the brakes, and we have the most desirable products, and we are coming into the busiest season,” Debney at Smith & Wesson said. “I think we are going to be in a great spot.”

Story: Why 'Smart' Guns Won't Transform the U.S. Firearm Industry: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-28/why-smart-guns-wont-transform-the-u-dot-s-dot-firearm-industry

boestar, re "in-or-out" on guns and gun control, that could apply to the US but not necessarily in Canada and certainly not in nations where gun ownership is almost as high as the US: Switzerland.

It is a matter of national psyche and national culture. "For sport" or for "defence against one's government and the boogeyman" characterizes the difference. One is non-controversial, the other is most certainly contentious, some of which fits the definition of insanity as may be assessed from outside their borders.

Don:

In light of some of the actions that have been portrayed in the media of Police overstepping their bounds and opening fire on unarmed individuals (On Several occasions) or beating a guy in the head while trying to arrest him. The american public is becoming more and more concerned with exactly who is looking after their safety.

Part of the reason for the second amendment (which is definately up for debate) is to defend ones self from a rogue and tyrannical government (and the British :) ). Certain actions of the American government as well as private corporations are leading the population down the path to an inevitable revolt or so a great many people believe.

There are an awful lot of people taking a lot of time, money and energy in preparing for that revolt should it ever come. Part of that Preparation is learning how to shoot. Teach 'em young and teach 'em well so they are prepared when the time comes.

I think what we are seeing in the US over the last several years is the contagious nature of that paranoia (if it is paranoia).

The Sport is not mutually exclusive of Defense.

If the Ebola nightmare takes off as the CDC has predicted, watch out. We could easily wake up one of these days to find news the disease has arrived within our own borders. Should that day come and if you believe the CDC it sounds like it's going to, country wide panic will push everyone into some kind of personal lockdown situation and at that time, many will be wishing they had a gun and some ability to defend yourself and family.

boestar...well expressed. Given the vast and institutionalized gulfs between haves and have-nots particularly today but as a founding characteristic of the United States, I am somewhat surprised such a widespread revolt has not already occurred. In fact the United States is a failed state, or rather in the process of becoming one; open revolt (citizens against their "protectors", super-arms against citizens) would complete that definition. Their hatred of blacks is in their DNA and while they're are by no means alone in such internal divisions in other advanced western nations, they are unique in murdering them with impunity, as an insitutional reality.

I came across a news item yesterday which claimed that only 2% of black gun related deaths were attributable to police, the other 98% a product of black on black violence. This reality is not a fault of the whites no matter how some would like to spin it.

I came across a news item yesterday which claimed that only 2% of black gun related deaths were attributable to police, the other 98% a product of black on black violence. This reality is not a fault of the whites no matter how some would like to spin it.

In a town like Ferguson and indeed many others where the racial balance of the police force doesn't come close to matching the that of the local population, do you really think the locals will see the police as serve and protect types. Many won't and with good reason so how do the locals protect themselves when the law won't? Black on Black gun play is inevitable and whites have to share at least half the blame for creating the situation and even more for continuing to ignore it .

What about south Chicago Specs?

How can it be the fault of the whites that black gang members would prefer to engage in drug dealing where they can be gun toting tough guys that drive fancy cars, live at the clubs and buy all the chics they want as opposed to going to school and working at a part time minimum wage job?

Even taking the race out of it, I have seen 3 seperate occurrances this week of a White guy getting beaten with a Billy club or choked or punched in the face by the police. These actions by Law enforcement are the things that WILL start a revolt. The government of the USA has let the people of the USA down and that will come back to haunt them.

Archived