Memo To Ac: Just Sell The Yvr Hangar Already!

props2you

What we call the North Hanger (old CP Hangar).

props2you, are there some negotiations going on that you can fill us in on?

(personally, I think we should keep it & get rid of the South hanger...if anyone will have it.

Don't know about the north hanger but the south hanger may be owned by YVRAA and leased to AC. That's how it works with the Jazz hanger next door.

I'm guessing the north hanger is under the same agreement.....but that's just a guess.

I believe AC owns the South hangar, and YVR owns the land. It's probably the same on the north side. We've had a lease sign on the north property for ages.

Fido??

Why pay a lease on something not being used.

Well...to deny someone else the use of it of course. I personally know of two small business owners in two different cities who paid leases on business properties that would have been ideal for a competitor - if they had been available.

AC medical is still in that building, among a few other small parts. There is defiantly room at the big hangar for them and everything else needed. As seeker says, perhaps leaving medical there shows ownership intent, and avoids "squatting". I suppose if WJ or and other operator wants a really big hangar, they can spend the millions to build one.

AC medical is still in that building, among a few other small parts. There is defiantly room at the big hangar for them and everything else needed. As seeker says, perhaps leaving medical there shows ownership intent, and avoids "squatting". I suppose if WJ or and other operator wants a really big hangar, they can spend the millions to build one.

If WJ wants to build a hangar at YVR, which has been in off and on discussion for over 10 years, they certainly have the means to do so. Last I heard, the Airport Authority wanted to put it on the north perimeter, miles from WJ's domestic terminal space.

There are not a lot of buyers / lessors out there for the size of faciity we are talking about.

I would think that a business that has excess capacity and that chronically reports profit margins near the bottom of the pack would be more interested in shedding costs rather than worrying about such a faciity getting into a competitors hands when said competitor can simply build a hangar elsewhere.

We didn't see WJ refuse to sell SWA aircraft, even those aircraft, at least theoretically, could be flown into Canada in competition with WJ the next day.

If this is indeed what's going on, it povides a fascinating insight into the corporate state of mind at both airlines.

However, it could also be a simple matter that AC needs the hangar for its own use, either now or in the foreseeable future.

AC medical is actually Ultima Medical which has a facility on the south side of YVR (as most of us know). This operation could move into the north hanger or just have the pilots go to the south facility.

I used to have my medicals done in the "Canadian" hanger so it wouldn't be a new idea.

Out of curiosity, what does WJ do now in YVR should they have the need for covered facilities? Rent space from London Air?

As C'EH mentioned we do indeed have the old Canadian Pacific/Pacific Western/BCIT hangar. It's more than enough for our needs right now. We've had 3 NG's in at once and could probably put 4 in if required. It's a cool old hangar that actually has the best lighting of any hangar I've worked in.

Hotter than hell on summer days though!

Archived