Boeing 787-9 At Farnborough

manwest

For two or three days a year being a Boeing test pilot would be a fun job.

Lots of fun. However, it always makes me nervous when they do these kinds of "special" maneuvers for these events. But I'm sure those selected to fly have done it before.

Love the proportions of the -9.

Here's

of the preparation flight for Farnborough. Almost looks fake but some great perspectives from the air.

Yes the -9 does look good.

I should have watched the video link you posted. It appears Boeing were well prepared for Farnborough.

Not to rain on the Boeing parade but..................

.............the Farnborough show was certainly nice but here's the "rub".....I would bet that over 97% of the pilots lucky enough to get to fly that aircraft on the "line" will never do any of those eye-catching maneuvers. The real thrill in being a "directional consultant in a high speed aluminum tube" is being able to 'bend" an aircraft just on the edge of its limitations and we all know that in commercial aviation that seldom, if ever, happens.

On the other hand, in Military flying the vast majority of flight attitudes one sees at an airshow can be done, and are done, by the Military pilots qualified on type.

I was extremely fortunate to have had both the "yank and bank" flying and the enjoyment of airline driving................... and for that I am eternally grateful.

Tin hat on, respirator in hand, and back to the bateau. :Grin-Nod::biggrin1:

Not to rain on the Boeing parade but..................

.............the Farnborough show was certainly nice but here's the "rub".....I would bet that over 97% of the pilots lucky enough to get to fly that aircraft on the "line" will never do any of those eye-catching maneuvers. The real thrill in being a "directional consultant in a high speed aluminum tube" is being able to 'bend" an aircraft just on the edge of its limitations and we all know that in commercial aviation that seldom, if ever, happens.

On the other hand, in Military flying the vast majority of flight attitudes one sees at an airshow can be done, and are done, by the Military pilots qualified on type.

I was extremely fortunate to have had both the "yank and bank" flying and the enjoyment of airline driving................... and for that I am eternally grateful.

Tin hat on, respirator in hand, and back to the bateau. :Grin-Nod::biggrin1:

Yes you are fortunate to have down all that. However, from what I've heard "bending" a commercial airliner is generally frowned upon. Especially by maintenance. And the ATP's I hold issued by three different countries all indicate "pilot". But I do have a licence to operate motorized vehicles which does say "driver". :)

Morning Blues,
Yes, I see the smilie and I would agree with you that perhaps the word ”bend” was a poor choice of a word to express the fact that I was always thrilled to fly an aircraft to the edge of its legal and flight tested limitations and sometimes just slightly beyond during an authorized air-test

Pilot/driver??? I won’t bore you by listing the myriad of documents and diplomas I have which do have the word ‘pilot’ and not ‘driver’ in them but after years of sitting in a tube, and upon serious reflection I began to realize that I was merely a person who was lucky to have been able to have the training ,supervision and a dash of skill which allowed me to gain that illustrious , (to some), title of “pilot”. However, in the real world I was, for the most part, just ‘driving’ a motorized vehicle in a three dimensional space . As well, I would not be doing my driving without the help of all the people on the ground, AMEs, Ground crew, Operations Staff, many others as well as a variety of crew members in the same tube I was driving.

This not to say that one should not be proud to be a pilot, nor should one demean that profession …..anyone who is a pilot has certainly worked to attain that goal but hopefully “a pilot” always remembers he/she is not God’s gift to aviation but rather an individual that made choices, had the desire, honed their skills and always had the continuing assistance of others to maintain their position as a airframe “driver”.

Morning Blues,

Yes, I see the smilie and I would agree with you that perhaps the word bend was a poor choice of a word to express the fact that I was always thrilled to fly an aircraft to the edge of its legal and flight tested limitations and sometimes just slightly beyond during an authorized air-test

Pilot/driver??? I wont bore you by listing the myriad of documents and diplomas I have which do have the word pilot and not driver in them but after years of sitting in a tube, and upon serious reflection I began to realize that I was merely a person who was lucky to have been able to have the training ,supervision and a dash of skill which allowed me to gain that illustrious , (to some), title of pilot. However, in the real world I was, for the most part, just driving a motorized vehicle in a three dimensional space . As well, I would not be doing my driving without the help of all the people on the ground, AMEs, Ground crew, Operations Staff, many others as well as a variety of crew members in the same tube I was driving.

This not to say that one should not be proud to be a pilot, nor should one demean that profession ..anyone who is a pilot has certainly worked to attain that goal but hopefully a pilot always remembers he/she is not Gods gift to aviation but rather an individual that made choices, had the desire, honed their skills and always had the continuing assistance of others to maintain their position as a airframe driver.

Good morning and that's an interesting point of view. And yes I was just kidding. :)

However, having a "pilot's licence" has gotten me out of getting a ticket on my "driver's licence" on more than one occasion. My most recent was near YYZ when I had a Peel Region officer hardly get out the words "Do you know how fast you were.....?" And then I heard "oh never mind" as he walked back to his car. Phew!

Archived