Yyc New Runway

Pivot

Thanks for the link.

My thinking is that the physical characteristics of a runway certified to Category 4 under TP312 would meet the requirements under TP1490. (If we're just talking about the surface itself).

You're right in that the pre-threshold terrain is a huge factor. Were you thinking of 15R though? 15L is pretty flat all the way to Derry.

The exits to the east just clear about 100 feet then end in dirt. We thought perhaps it's so hangars could be over there.

I think these are probably just future proofing and are designed to tie in to future taxiways.

The reason they're there today is so that a taxiway can be built with no/limited impact to runway operations. If they had to build the fillet for each of these and tie them in to the runway while it is use it would be more disruptive to operations and would require closures.

Plus, the incremental cost of adding these today was probably pretty inconsequential to the total cost of the project.

On page 8 of this document, you can see that a full length parallel is planned for the west side of the new runway.

15L. You're correct that area north of the runway is quite level. I think (and again I could be wrong) it's the rapid change in runway elevation which prevents it from being more than CAT I. The problem is that all CAT III approaches must be flown by autopilot, so Radio Altimeter issues have to considered.

15R is actually a relatively overall flat runway with a slight dip near the midpoint.

A lot of the new man made island airports (HGK, ICN, for ecample) are super duper even with regards to elevation from end to end. I guess they have the luxury of making them that way from get-go.

I think these are probably just future proofing and are designed to tie in to future taxiways.

The reason they're there today is so that a taxiway can be built with no/limited impact to runway operations. If they had to build the fillet for each of these and tie them in to the runway while it is use it would be more disruptive to operations and would require closures.

Plus, the incremental cost of adding these today was probably pretty inconsequential to the total cost of the project.

On page 8 of this document, you can see that a full length parallel is planned for the west side of the new runway.

Some definite forward thinking by the folks in YYC.

Archived