Terror In The Skies

anonymous

Is it just me???... I'm not sure I would do a quasi-emergency landing just because of an in-air chute deployment. Pop a hole in it and carry on. The pressure from the chute would be miniscule compared to normal cabin pressure differential. To descend and land in "10 minutes" at a possibly-but-not-necessarily-but-certainly-not-planned-for airport is a lot more dangerous than taking stock and making a rational decision after the slide was deflated.

There would probably be less danger landing in a few hours at normal destination after everyone had calmed down than people in #emergencydescent mode. The door area could be cleared and there wouldn't be any less chutes available than there was at the diversion airport.

Not that I disagree with your thinking but I was wondering about the slide - if it's slashed up with corkscrew to get it to deflate I would assume it's going to be trashed, is there a way to deflate it slowly and get it re-certified or in a case like this is it beyond repair anyway?

So... if that's the criteria, leave it inflated and continue to destination or leave it inflated and land early. Same thing from a safety perspective, but a rushed landing is certainly less safe.

I'm thinking that a slide could be repaired as long as it wasn't a multiple slash/slash attempt at deflation. If you have 2 hours to deflate it, a small incision is all that would be necessary.

Almost all slides have an "aspirator" or eductor type augmentation device such that the high pressure inflation nitrogen draws in ambient air for additional volume. It's a flapper valve arrangement about 4" in diameter. In this case, all one would have to do is get to the aspirator and hold open the flapper....might be easier said than done getting to it though.

I once saw a 330 F/A discharge a door chute into the open front of a ascending commisary truck...guy in the truck was forced out the back of the truck at some altitude rather guickly.

Archived