Overwhelming.......

Thebean

The word "overwhelming" has to be the most over used word in the history of airline press releases.

I notice a press release from a dubiously profitable airline used it again today.

If I had a dollar for every time some uninspired PR hack used that word in a press release over the past 20 years, I could make an overwhelming donation to a needy charity.

Many years ago, an analyst in the US came out with an "airline speak" translation guide for over used words in the airline business. I wish I had kept it. It was very funny.

As I recall, the word "overwhelming", when used in an airline context referring to loads was translated as "our loads suck".

When used in context of the overall fiscal success of the airline, "overwhelming" was translated as "we're on the verge of filing for Chapter 11".

There is a level of accuracy in these translations. Every time I see a press release with this adjective, its almost a sure bet the opposite situation is more than likely.

I always think of the "overwhelming evidence of weapons of mass destruction that requires us to invade Iraq".

Here is the actual quote from Colin Powell:

"There was no doubt in my mind as I went through the intelligence, and as I prepared myself for the briefing that I gave to the Security Council on the 5th of February, that the evidence was overwhelming, that they had continued to develop"

I always think of the "overwhelming evidence of weapons of mass destruction that requires us to invade Iraq".

Here is the actual quote from Colin Powell:

"There was no doubt in my mind as I went through the intelligence, and as I prepared myself for the briefing that I gave to the Security Council on the 5th of February, that the evidence was overwhelming, that they had continued to develop"

I've always wondered about him and that historical moment with the Iraq conflict. Did he really believe there were WMD or was he just being a good soldier?

While we're discussing overused words, I think "awesome" should be banned from adult vocabulary and only be used if under the age of 18.

Because we know to be 18 again would probably be overwhelmingly "awesome!"

Archived