Wj Being Sued.

AIP

There should be some reports on file from WJA Crews about 'conditions' at the hotel. A lawsuit is a two-sided sword, things might come out in the defence the hotel would prefer stay under wraps

I'm curious- does their pilot association (and/or cabin crew association) play a part in the accommodation selection process, such as an audit of the facilities?

In the lawsuit the Victoria Inn alleges it entered into the deal with the Calgary-based airline and LJK Companies of Minnetonka, Minn.

I'm wondering about LJK? Is this company something like API which Air Canada uses? I know some would say that API is nothing but a bunch of thieves and bandits (not me of course since that might be slanderous). I have personally heard from some of our owner/drivers at a few stations about really, really, despicable business practices from API, especially in regards to trying to strong-arm price reductions to previously negotiated rates mid-contract. Sounds like the same thing happened here.

My all time favorite crew hotel story was when a female FO and two female cabin crew were swept up in a police raid and spent most of the night on a police bus with about twenty toothless prostitutes and junkies. When they were finally allowed to return to their rooms one of the flight attendants found a homeless woman wearing her uniform and rummaging through her bag.

My all time favorite crew hotel story was when a female FO and two female cabin crew were swept up in a police raid and spent most of the night on a police bus with about twenty toothless prostitutes and junkies. When they were finally allowed to return to their rooms one of the flight attendants found a homeless woman wearing her uniform and rummaging through her bag.

Where was that?

What it sounds like is a contract was signed and another hotel came back with a better rate. Wj wanted to back out of said contract and couldnt so found another way. Obviously it didn't work

What it sounds like is a contract was signed and another hotel came back with a better rate. Wj wanted to back out of said contract and couldnt so found another way. Obviously it didn't work

That's what it sounds like but that's not the reason.

There was a night at this hotel in TBAY where just after we signed the contract and started staying there that the hotel decided to fill it up with displaced band members from the northern communities due to fires - the crews no longer stayed there after a hellish night of no sleep while the northern guest practically destroyed the place ran wild causing multiple police visits and fire alarm bells -

Debauchery in the hallways, bottles being thrown around, domestic fights and kids running wild with no respect to the needs of others to sleep.

This hotel in its contract would have had to ensure a "quiet area" for crews not near elevators and with certain amenities - i.e. in room fridges etc and certain security agreements specific to flight crew needs.

While the Hotel did a poor job and exercised poor judgement mixing the sleep needs of flight crews - with the displacement needs of northern band members I actually blame WestJet for trying once again to nickel and dime us to death by selecting a poor hotel.

Anyone who lives in Thunder Bay could tell you this is not the hotel to book if you are requiring security and rest.

As for the crews input regarding hotel choices - there is a committee that ensures certain things are met - prox to food - safety - other items but the ultimate choice lies with the company.

There was a night at this hotel in TBAY where just after we signed the contract and started staying there that the hotel decided to fill it up with displaced band members from the northern communities due to fires - the crews no longer stayed there after a hellish night of no sleep while the northern guest practically destroyed the place ran wild causing multiple police visits and fire alarm bells -

Debauchery in the hallways, bottles being thrown around, domestic fights and kids running wild with no respect to the needs of others to sleep.

This hotel in its contract would have had to ensure a "quiet area" for crews not near elevators and with certain amenities - i.e. in room fridges etc and certain security agreements specific to flight crew needs.

While the Hotel did a poor job and exercised mixing the sleep needs of flight crews - with the displacement needs of northern band members I actually blame WestJet for trying once again to nickel and dime us to death by selecting a poor hotel.

Anyone who lives in Thunder Bay could tell you this is not the hotel to book if you are requiring security and rest.

I actually hope that the hotel wins - a costly lesson for WestJet on being cheap.

As for the crews input regarding hotel choices - there is a committee that ensures certain things are met - prox to food - safety - other items but the ultimate choice lies with the company.

An honest summary. I agree this is definitely not the hotel for crews who need quiet and security. I also agree that this stems from an office person far removed from the front lines looking at saving a few pennies while forgetting the primary need. Put the crews over at the Valhalla were they belong already!

Thanks Seeker,

We were at the Valhalla - when the contract expired the company put it out to tender as the article explains -

Like you said a office person sitting on a desk counting beans does not fully appreciate the difference of a good hotel and a poor hotel - the committee advised we were happy at the Valhalla but changes took place regardless.

WestJet has a long history of being ruthless with its outside vendors - thats a good thing - watching the bottom line so to speak -

In this instance however the few dollars saved per night per crew member were quite quickly erased when the flight the next day was cancelled and passengers displaced and the cost of returning to the Valhalla.

Like I said - you get what you pay for and this is a case of nickel and diming from a person with a perspective that doesn't work the front lines.

This will end up costing way way more than the few dollars saved - given the lawyer fees and possible settlement costs.

This will end up costing way way more than the few dollars saved - given the lawyer fees and possible settlement costs.

Based on your description it sounds like the hotel didn't hold up it's end of the contract and Westjet will likely avoid any settlement. In your earlier post you suggested that it might be a good thing for Westjet to get it knuckles rapped financially for making a bad economic decision. I don't disagree with that but the flip side is the hotel knowingly signed a contract with airline-specific clauses that they couldn't or wouldn't honour - "ain't nobody got time for that" (as Kimberly "Sweet Brown" Wilkins would say)! I hate that - "sure, we'll give crews rooms on the quiet floor" - works fine for a week or two until the first pee wee hockey tournament rolls through town. I don't mind seeing an airline cancel a hotel contract in these cases.

Cant disagree with you on any of those counts.

Its two fold…. the hotel failed to delver the standard that both the crews and most likely the contract required, but the whole thing could have been avoided should WestJet had not tried to save a few bucks and move the crews away from the Valhala in the first place.

Only the lawyers win this one - and like you said "aint nobody got time for that."

Sweet reference btw

J

Cant disagree with you on any of those counts.

Its two fold…. the hotel failed to delver the standard that both the crews and most likely the contract required, but the whole thing could have been avoided should WestJet had not tried to save a few bucks and move the crews away from the Valhala in the first place. . . .

"Most likley" in the contract? Does anybody posting here know waht the contract actually says?

There may be no mention of the items being discussed. For this other hotel's owner to launch the lawsuit he must think his chances of getting a result are much better then fifty-fifty.

There should be some reports on file from WJA Crews about 'conditions' at the hotel. A lawsuit is a two-sided sword, things might come out in the defence the hotel would prefer stay under wraps

Westjet puts its crews in some of the most luxurious fancy suites and hotels that can be found in the carribeain & hawaii the usa thunderbay and st. johns..

Archived