Travel Telemarketing Scam

I get phishing emails from "Banks" all the time (several a week). I enjoy the spelling mistakes and the half baked attempts to disguise their email addresses. I used to forward them on the bank fraud department but no longer do. People need to realze that this is NOT how banks communicate with customers.

It's amazing though how these scam artists continue to pray on innocent people. Especially seniors. Back in the early 80's I had a grandmother who I found out was giving a lot of her money to TV evangelist Jim Baker and his PTL clowns. We got her to stop but it wasn't easy as these people had her convinced she was donating to a good cause. A few years later Baker was caught in a huge money/sex scandal and sentenced to 45 years in prison, however, he only served a fraction of that and is now back in the TV evangelist business.

This topic always reminds me a saying - you can't cheat an honest man. That goes for the Nigerian 419 scam, not for the phishing scam, obviously.

I do have some sympathy in certain situations, scammers who target the elderly are particularly loathsome but any person who gets scammed because they thought they could profit illegally doesn't get much sympathy from me.

In my inbox this week. There's gotta be a fortune waiting to be made in the "How to Make Your Scam Sound Authentic" business....

mic

Greetings;

I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner; I found your name listed in the Trade Center Chambers of Commerce directory here in Iraq, I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business. I only pray this time that your address is still valid. I want to solicit your attention to receive money on my behalf.

I am Sgt. Pyros Stephan, officer from US Army; i am one of the U.S. Army deployed to Iraq in the beginning of the war in 2003, and also a West Point Graduate presently serving in the Military with the 82nd Air Borne Division Peace keeping force in Baghdad, Iraq. I am on the move to Syria from Iraq as the last batch just left, and i really need your help in assisting me with the safe keeping of two military trunk boxes which has just arrived the USA from Iraq. I hope you can be trusted? Though, I would like to hold back certain information for security reasons for now until you have found time to visit the BBC website news below to enable you have insight regarding what I intend to share with you, believing that it would be of your desired interest in one way or the other.

Click on this BBC news listing to confirms what I want to share with you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

Here is another BBC news listing which has more information; Click to open http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm

if you can be trusted, I will explain further when i get a response from you. Get back to me having visited the above websites to enable us discuss in a more vivid manner to the best of your understanding? I must say that I'm very uncomfortable sending this message to you without knowing truly if you would misconstrue the importance and decide to go public.

In this regards, I will not hold back to say that the essence of this letter is strictly for mutual benefit of you and I and nothing more. I will be more vivid and coherent in my next email in this regards. Meanwhile, could you send me a mail confirming you have visited the site and understood my intentions? Am standing by for your urgent response now that we are leaving Iraq to Syria.

You can get back to me via e-mail: sgtpyross@zing.vn

Thanks.

Best regards.
Sgt. Pyros Stephane
US ARMY
E-mail: sgtpyross@zing.vn

Was just reading the new Freakonomics book this weekend and they had an interesting section about these types of scams. To most of us when we look at the overall premise it’s bad enough, but then to add on the spelling mistakes and outlandish sums of money makes seem so outrageous we wonder who in their right mind would fall for it.

Apparently that’s part of their plan, if it sounds halfway reasonable they will suck in a lot more people who will eventually fall away through the scam as more details come to light. If you’re gullible enough to buy into it even with how outlandish it seems they will have a much higher close rate with you and don’t waste their time on people they won’t end up getting money out of.

Archived