Travel Telemarketing Scam

I recently received a call with a recorded message saying I had won $999 of Westjet travel. Having some cash on account with WS and thinking they wouldn't be involved in any kind of scam, I stayed on the line to hear more details. When a live person (US/American accent) finally came on the line I stopped her to ask what this has to do with Westjet. She mentioned some travel group name and advised I was eligible to receive $2500 off of a vacation package. I told her I was now "hanging up".

This had nothing to do with Westjet.

Just in case anyone should know that a reputable company name is now being used by yet another phone scam.

From an internal message a little while ago:

...Air Canada Corporate Security is aware of these, and advises they continue to alert authorities about these incidents.

If you receive such a call, hang up. Remember, never provide your personal information over the phone! Also, if it appears to be good to be true, it probably is!

If you receive such a call, the incidents can also be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre who can be contacted at:

1-888-495-8501 (PHONEBUSTERS)
info@antifraudcentre.ca
www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website above has additional information on how to recognize different types of scams. While there are many known scams such as the telephone prize calls, new ones are invented every day. Be aware and stay safe!

I've been getting these call on my cell for some time now. I block every number they use; and it's growing to quite a collection.

I wonder how many number they have for calling out because, now that I think about it, I have not had a call for a couple of weeks.

Between these travel scams, credit scams, and offers to fix my computer, we get quite a few calls. I don't answer any more unless I recognize the number. If it's a legitimate caller, they'll leave a message.

If you answer the phone, only say "hello" once. If someone doesn't say "hello" back right away, either hang up, mute the microphone (if your phone has that option) or place a finger over the microphone. That's the Robo-dialer that called. If you say "hello, hello" or allow any noise for more than a few seconds, the Robo-dialer patches you through to a live person to complete the call. Not sure if it makes any difference but it does tie up their line for up to a minute (especially if you put the microphone on mute and wait until they hang up). If enough people did that, their productivity would go down and any way you can mess with them is good. Back in the pilot house days, we'd answer and listen to the script, and when it was time to close the deal, we would politely decline the offer but say maybe my roommate would be interested. Put the phone down and go away for 10 minutes. Then the next person would get on the line and go through the whole speech again. We managed to keep one telemarketer busy for almost an hour. Or you would answer and pretend not to hear them well. Pick out something they would say and "miss-hear" it. Then proceed to be offended by whatever they hadn't said. Fun games to play waiting for the pager to go off. Always wanted to speak really faintly so they had to turn up the volume on their headset and then give them a blast of an air horn. But that would have been mean and rude; sort of like calling right as you sat down to eat dinner.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/security-travel-alert/travel-alert.shtml

Phone scam alert

Telephone scammers are impersonating WestJet in an attempt to steal your personal information. WestJet does not use telemarketers or share guests' personal information. If you receive a call indicating that you've won "WestJet points/miles" or are a "preferred customer" please contact the RCMP Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, info@antifraudcentre.ca, or visit their website. For more information about possible scams related to WestJet, please visit our email and telephone scams page.

Many people complain about telemarketers and tell the callers that they are breaking the law because the recipient is on the Do Not Call list.

Many if not most of these calls are coming from out of country...they are not the least bit concerned with Canadian law.

A simple fix for this is either waste their time on the call as already suggested...or even better....if you get a call for duct cleaning, book an appt, and when they show up, tell them to get lost...

The big problem isn't the telemarketers....it's the companies that hire them. Shame any Canadian company that employs these hacks.

IMO

Between these travel scams, credit scams, and offers to fix my computer, we get quite a few calls. I don't answer any more unless I recognize the number. If it's a legitimate caller, they'll leave a message.

This particular call was on my cell phone while at the cottage. I just happened to be stepping into my truck and didn't look to see who was calling. And I totally agree. The calls at home always get screened. What threw me was the mention of Westjet almost immediately by the caller. Who sounded 'live' by the way.

I got taken in hook, line and sinker. And then said goodbye.

I also have had the WJ call on my cell. Nobody other than my wife has my cell number so they are random dialling I imagine.The number is a local exchange number that is not in service when I do a reverse look up.

WJ say they are not involved and it is telemarketing using spoof phone numbers.

Pain in the proverbial.

Edited to say that I should not have called it "the WJ call" as they are not making it, just to be fair to WJ.

I agree with p.o.p.

The only currency we have is to waste their time.

I have had them hold for a time as I'm finishing dinner or whatever. My kids know immediately when I do this because I will answer in whatever accent they have (I do a killer Indian accent, killer!) and mock them but subtly enough they don't realize immediately.

It's been fairly effective, I used to get the Microsoft support message daily or more and haven't had it for a long time.

I used to mess with the fake Microsoft guys, but don't bother anymore. Last time I told them I knew it was a scam, they put the supervisor on the phone. The conversation quickly turned into a barrage of poorly used obscenities, culminating in a threat to rape me and cut off my husband's penis. Yes, really.

They are a highly excitable bunch, and they don't like to be challenged.

Just got this in my inbox. Not sure what to do. I could really use the money. Any advice?

Dear Friend,

Good day to you and your family,I hope my email will get you at good time.
My name is Mr Najib Rahman Mualla from Homs Syria,I am 60years old and retired former personal investor &financial consultant advisers to a top politician here in Syria.

I am in desperate need of a foreign partner due to the war I my country kindly, tell me necessary steps to invest in your country, our capital is US$12,000,000.00 million and I am willing to order the transfer of the money to you for any good profitable investment in your country. in my next mail I will explain the full details of the project and interest shall tell you more about myself when I read from you.You may as well tell me little more about yourself
When replying.

I look forward to read from you at your earliest convenient time.
Regards.
Mr.Najib

:biggrin2:

If you answer the phone, only say "hello" once. If someone doesn't say "hello" back right away, either hang up, mute the microphone (if your phone has that option) or place a finger over the microphone. That's the Robo-dialer that called. If you say "hello, hello" or allow any noise for more than a few seconds, the Robo-dialer patches you through to a live person to complete the call. Not sure if it makes any difference but it does tie up their line for up to a minute (especially if you put the microphone on mute and wait until they hang up). If enough people did that, their productivity would go down and any way you can mess with them is good. Back in the pilot house days, we'd answer and listen to the script, and when it was time to close the deal, we would politely decline the offer but say maybe my roommate would be interested. Put the phone down and go away for 10 minutes. Then the next person would get on the line and go through the whole speech again. We managed to keep one telemarketer busy for almost an hour. Or you would answer and pretend not to hear them well. Pick out something they would say and "miss-hear" it. Then proceed to be offended by whatever they hadn't said. Fun games to play waiting for the pager to go off. Always wanted to speak really faintly so they had to turn up the volume on their headset and then give them a blast of an air horn. But that would have been mean and rude; sort of like calling right as you sat down to eat dinner.

I took your advice the other night when one of these robocalls came in. I only said hello once, then set the phone down and continued having dinner. Four hours later I noticed the phone sitting on the bar, and realized I had forgotten to hang it up. There was still no dial tone. So are you telling me that I inadvertently kept their lines tied up, maybe even with long distance charges, for four hours? Because if so, I really like this new game.

I took your advice the other night when one of these robocalls came in. I only said hello once, then set the phone down and continued having dinner. Four hours later I noticed the phone sitting on the bar, and realized I had forgotten to hang it up. There was still no dial tone. So are you telling me that I inadvertently kept their lines tied up, maybe even with long distance charges, for four hours? Because if so, I really like this new game.

"at a girl...

Archived