My Next Big Adventure ;)

cp fa

Any of you expats working in Asia, or anyone that's been there, have any sightseeing tips or restaurant recommendations for Siem Reap, Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, Busan, or Beijing?

Thanks! :)

Shanghai- the French Quater is excellent for bars and food. Outside teh city there are several 'water towns', as seen in teh first Mission Impossible where Cruise jumps from house to house around teh canals.

Beijing - for the Great Wall do some reading on some of the parts that are not touristy. It might take 2 hours to get to these sections but, imo, worth it.

Singapore- wow, lots to do. Raffles for an expensive Singapore Sling, All along the RIver for great food, Fattys Restaurant, local favourite near teh computer mall.

cp fa

Did the Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh river boat last October. Went to Siem Reap 2 days early to do tours and glad we did. We set up a tour with Tours by Locals - www.toursbylocals.com - and it was excellent. Our guide was Sophy Chhay who speaks very good English and has an extensive knowledge of the area. He (and his driver) met us at the airport and we were touring ruins within an hour and that was after checking into our hotel. Air conditioned van with lots of bottled water. We stayed at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort because the boat trip started there and also its a Sheraton property and gives a bit of a discount. Excellent hotel.

Siem Reap is wonderful, but it is hot and humid most of the time. We were too exhausted to venture into town for the local restaurants, but those that did had a great meal. Our guide did take us to local restaurants for lunch and recommended some excellent dishes.

Most of what we read in travel blogs etc was correct.

cp, thanks for starting another one - we were looking in that direction!

Hi Warren - great advice, thank you. Would taking camera gear, (camera bodies, lenses, laptop/iPad, accessories) be a problem? Would there be need for greater than the usual cautions one always takes?

Don

Same security issues as any foreign country. The Temples are very photogenic so take lenses etc. Remember that some of the temple sites are quite large, so carrying large heavy stuff could get awkward in the heat. Also, at Angkor Wat, the largest site, one has to climb some fairly steep stairs. But I'm in terrible shape and made it. We had a cheap little camera and got some great shots, so with proper equipment the pictures would be excellent. We were able to leave stuff in the van as the driver stayed with it at all times. Do take extra batteries as the tours are all day and there are so many things to take pictures of.

2 Days is the minimum time to spent there. We were there during a flood, so some things were inaccessible. Made for great pictures driving down the main street in 6 inches of water. They just ignore it and go on doing what they are doing.

Siem Riep is a great place. I spent 3 days driving around Angkor Wat (driver was $20/day). You can rent a Tuk Tuk but get a car - you'll need the AC driving from spot to spot. I'll have to ask my wife if she remembers which spots we visited; there were 4 that stood out at me for various reasons but I can't remember the names. Warren is right, it's ridiculously hot and humid in the jungles there so don't pack heavy. I found Cambodia to be very safe - never harassed, never felt uneasy.

Thank you very much Warren - good to know. The gear is heavy but the work is well worth the effort. The greatest challenge is on-board with restricted luggage.

Thanks too, CanadaEH - humidity's a problem alright - will do some reading on your suggestions.

Archived