Ac 787 #2

moeman

Did my "circuits" today in 801 back and forth between YOW and YMX. Had to have sectors longer than 49 miles to count, apparently.

Beautiful machine to fly. Good transitions through flaps and gear (not quite as nice as the A320, I must admit... but the computers don't get quite as involved on the Boeing).

As usual, all phases much nicer than the sim.

Even had nice legs today for all three of us. :biggrin1:

Did my "circuits" today in 801 back and forth between YOW and YMX. Had to have sectors longer than 49 miles to count, apparently.

Beautiful machine to fly. Good transitions through flaps and gear (not quite as nice as the A320, I must admit... but the computers don't get quite as involved on the Boeing).

As usual, all phases much nicer than the sim.

Even had nice legs today for all three of us. :biggrin1:

Inchman: I bet that was a fun day. What is the reason for doing circuits in the actual aircraft after having completed Level 'D' simulator training? Is this a TC requirement? And a 49 mile sector?

Inchman,

Sorry we had to take you around the south side leaving CYOW. :-) Too busy north of CYUL. Were you on the radio or on the yoke?

Felix

I was just hanging on for my share ... too busy to fly and talk. I wanted to get as much "hands on" time as I could so radio work was pretty much out of the question. I kept the Boeing instructor pretty busy by doing that... spinning dials and talking, but I figured that's what he was getting paid for.

Whatever flight you were working, you were most likely talking to the Boeing guy. When I was in the jump seat I was going to ask him to ask if you were on but backed off. I was on the morning flight and that terminal crew was very accommodating :Grin-Nod: and let us go where we wanted. It was pretty stable air in the morning so the gliders weren't up yet. The afternoon flight was FO's.

Our Flight

F/O flight

Inchman: I bet that was a fun day. What is the reason for doing circuits in the actual aircraft after having completed Level 'D' simulator training? Is this a TC requirement? And a 49 mile sector?

By doing the "sectors" instead of circuits, it counts towards the 6 sectors required for Line Indoc. With the long legs and routes on the aircraft, it would take a LOOONNNG time to get 6 sectors in given that the aircraft only arrived a month ago... and they need almost 30 crews ready by mid-July.

If the aircraft does a single overseas a day, it can only provide 2 pilot-legs per day. With 8 legs (including the final IOE line check) and 60 pilots plus check pilots to check out. Total of over 500 legs by mid-July. So they're combining these circuit-sectors with some YHZ turns and overseas. We had 3 skippers on our flight and they had 4 FO's in the afternoon, so they killed 21 sectors in a day... 10 days worth.

Once we have 3 aircraft and get ahead of the checkout curve, they won't do the circuits anymore. Too bad for those guys, really. It really is a blast, and being on an ultra long-haul aircraft, for me that's a full month of takeoffs and landings in 75 minutes.

I was just hanging on for my share ... too busy to fly and talk. I wanted to get as much "hands on" time as I could so radio work was pretty much out of the question. I kept the Boeing instructor pretty busy by doing that... spinning dials and talking, but I figured that's what he was getting paid for.

Whatever flight you were working, you were most likely talking to the Boeing guy. When I was in the jump seat I was going to ask him to ask if you were on but backed off. I was on the morning flight and that terminal crew was very accommodating :Grin-Nod: and let us go where we wanted. It was pretty stable air in the morning so the gliders weren't up yet. The afternoon flight was FO's.

Our Flight

F/O flight

:Grin-Nod: Come back anytime. We'll make it interesting, I promise!

Enjoy your time on the Dream Machine!

By doing the "sectors" instead of circuits, it counts towards the 6 sectors required for Line Indoc. With the long legs and routes on the aircraft, it would take a LOOONNNG time to get 6 sectors in given that the aircraft only arrived a month ago... and they need almost 30 crews ready by mid-July.

If the aircraft does a single overseas a day, it can only provide 2 pilot-legs per day. With 8 legs (including the final IOE line check) and 60 pilots plus check pilots to check out. Total of over 500 legs by mid-July. So they're combining these circuit-sectors with some YHZ turns and overseas. We had 3 skippers on our flight and they had 4 FO's in the afternoon, so they killed 21 sectors in a day... 10 days worth.

Once we have 3 aircraft and get ahead of the checkout curve, they won't do the circuits anymore. Too bad for those guys, really. It really is a blast, and being on an ultra long-haul aircraft, for me that's a full month of takeoffs and landings in 75 minutes.

Interesting. Sounds like a Chief Pilot's scheduling nightmare. Good luck with the program and have a great summer on your new machine.

Sorry, I don't have anything for you, SB.

Our instructor from Boeing was a widebody instructor so, while he did talk about some of the differences between the 787 and the other big birds, the only thing he said about the 737 was that he used to fly them.

I assume that #2 was doing the touch and goes here in YOW yesterday. I am stunned at the flex in the wings, it is a very impressive view.

Everything on the aircraft seems to be curved. Windows, wings, fan blades, panel bezels... even the flaps and flaperons have camber (didn't know that until we did a walkaround Monday).

Even the Maintenance guys are a little bent. :)

I think I saw 802 today... I enroute from Trois Rivière to Lachute and just a few miles north of Mirabel at 4500' and saw what must have been 802. The call sign was something like Air Canada 7082??

Are they doing touch and goes for a while with that one too?

What a beautiful machine!

I think so too.

What I've also noticed is the perfectly round fuselage versus the conventional top and bottom shapes like the 707, 727, 737, and 757. I guess when they make this new composite fuselage it's slowly "rolled" into shape.

Boeing quiz. Anyone know what previous fuselage jigs (top and bottom) were used to build the 757 airframe? Major initial savings for Boeing when they first designed the airplane.

Archived