Well Done Ac

I'd also give Robert Palmer of Westjet kudos for defending Air Canada, in the media, against the initial claims of gouging. I think there is growing sensitivity to the randomness and unfairness of a lot of social media commentary. A lot of people spouting ignorance, and generally running their mouths in the hope of grabbing a few minutes of fame.

I'd also give Robert Palmer of Westjet kudos for defending Air Canada, in the media, against the initial claims of gouging. I think there is growing sensitivity to the randomness and unfairness of a lot of social media commentary. A lot of people spouting ignorance, and generally running their mouths in the hope of grabbing a few minutes of fame.

FWIW Palmer is a person who "gets it" and is a great guy. It is a good day when his methods and ideas win out.

I think there is growing sensitivity to the randomness and unfairness and stupidity of a lot of social media commentary.

I think there is growing sensitivity to the randomness and unfairness and stupidity of a lot of social media commentary.

Not to mention a few people likely hoping to get some hush money, i.e. compensation.

When did "Social Media" ever qualify as any kind of responsible journalism? Some of these people haven't got a clue.

dagger, seeker, blues, social media has significant deleterious effects on the work of accident investigation as well. The process of getting information out immediately after an accident is designed to be done so at a measured, considered pace and based upon known facts at the time. Social media destroys sober thought and keen observation by supplying in its place an immature, inexperienced shrillness which is almost always incomplete, wrong and almost invariably harmful or at least hurtful to those involved and their families, friends and colleagues. I have seen incidents where the opposite is true but tweets from those who know what they're doing are rare.

While I think social media can be a serious democratizing force when and where government and other equally powerful private interests are involved to the detriment of ordinary people, the effects are the opposite when it comes to letting the public know what happened in an accident. The results can mislead, cause mis-steps by leading investigators to or away from an important aspect of the event and materially and irresponsibly affect those involved without ever shouldering the burden of evidence.

Such social side-bars rob sparse resources from those organizations whose responsibility it is to do the actual investigating; instead they must spend their own energies and limited resources countering stupid tweets. It is to the point now where such pressures have forced investigators and their management alike, off-task while they "deal" with social media. It becomes a challenge then to counter the idiocy while supplying what is available and palatable so as not to attract false charges of "hiding evidence", inevitably offered by those who have no clue regarding the investigative process. It can readily be seen how complicated life becomes fighting rear-guard actions like social media while the real work might possibly be delayed.

Social media does explain one thing however...it explains why television, newspapers and internet blogs are so popular despite their factual incapacity and bottomless willingness to say something in the face of nothing to say.

Archived