Duty Day Record? Probably Not, Unfortunately.

inchman

Loved dispatching the L10 to MIA on the early morning departure in the winter. When they hit the igniters you would get a rumble that you knew exactly where your schphinkter was :Dancing-Chilli:

They just don't rumble like that anymore!!!!!

:Clap-Hands:

And occasionally 'Drama Queen'

(FF to approx. 53sec mark)

Thats100% normal on a cold morning for an RB211. I have seen complete aircraft disappear.

Unfortunately when a plane is parked in the hangar it becomes an engineer's headache. Although it was full of advanced features, the systems were complex and maintenance intensive according to some who I know worked on it. Not a big seller for Lockheed with less than 300 produced. As mentioned already, the RB211 was a major problem and didn't help it's future. RR somehow got it right for the 757 series with the -535E versions. I've flown over 10,000 hours on them and not as much as ripple.

I also flew all three. DC8-61, -62 and -63. The -61 was an experiment with not enough engine or wing. Douglas got it right with the -62 and -63 combinations.

Yes the -535 is an awesome engine (even if it does spin backwards).

No for some reason (and I apologize to Mitch in advance) the DC10 was a better seller albeit an inferior aircraft in almost every way.

deicer, re, "They just don't rumble like that anymore!!!!!" - it was a wonderful sound! Nothing like it except for the Northstar's Merlins...entirely different than the Pratts.

The Lockheed was the first time I had ever heard of "turning everything off and 're-booting' ", (removing the generators from the aircraft network - the Oiler knew how to do that...), when there were inexplicable minor problems with some electronics.

But it worked - saved more than one RTG doing just that.

On rolling the airplane on like could with the DC8, (check forward slightly just prior to touchdown) - one only did that once with the L1011..., (if not forewarned!) I'll bet blues knows why.

Archived