Nav Charges, Airport Fees Etc...

Seeker

I was having a discussion with a passenger a few days ago and the topic of Nav charges and landing fees came up. The passenger, of course, knew nothing about this - didn't even know such thing existed. He thought that the airlines used the airports for free. I naturally tried to explain how it works but, although I know about the existence of the fees and charges, didn't know actual dollar values and don't know where to find them either.

I would like to find some place that gives actual dollar values to all the fees, charges etc that an airline would pay out for a typical flight, for example; YYC-YYZ. I'm not interested in internal costs just the fees paid out to Navcanada and the airport authorities so when/if the topic arises again I'll have some accurate info.

I was having a discussion with a passenger a few days ago and the topic of Nav charges and landing fees came up. The passenger, of course, knew nothing about this - didn't even know such thing existed. He thought that the airlines used the airports for free. I naturally tried to explain how it works but, although I know about the existence of the fees and charges, didn't know actual dollar values and don't know where to find them either.

I would like to find some place that gives actual dollar values to all the fees, charges etc that an airline would pay out for a typical flight, for example; YYC-YYZ. I'm not interested in internal costs just the fees paid out to Navcanada and the airport authorities so when/if the topic arises again I'll have some accurate info.

Virtually all airports in Canada publish their airport fees and charges.

http://www.yyc.com/Portals/0/BUSINESS%20AT%20YYC/Tariff%20January%202014.pdf

The charges are based either per passenger boarded or a function of MTOW.

Ahhh.......memories....

"Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice

Two percent for looking in the mirror twice

Here a little slice, there a little cut

Three percent for sleeping with the window shut

When it comes to fixing prices

There are a lot of tricks I knows

How it all increases, all them bits and pieces

Jesus! It's amazing how it grows!"

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lesmiserablescast/masterofthehouse.html

A lot more than Lading and Terminal fees these days. Loading Bridge, Common Use, TB Pre Clearance ect... Many exercises have been done to compare the cost at various airports and as I am sure you can imagine there are some airports who hate every time that comparison is done. Traditionally YYZ has been the most expensive of the majors but YUL has been catching up fast. YVR and YYC had always been pretty reasonable (it's all relative) but YYC will be under pressure with all the additional cost that will be coming online over the next few years. The effective per pax cost to the airline will vary by airport and airline and will range from insignificant to a vary material part of the trip cost. I agree with Hoot's reference to Nav Canada trip cost calculator in determining ATC charges. Don't be fooled by the cheap cost of ATC when flying inbound from the U.S. There is no Nav Canada terminal cost but the FAA ticket tax applies.

I'm more of a Stevie Ray Vaughn guy in this type of scenario...(yes I know it's the Beatles)

Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small

Be thankful I don't take it all

Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street

If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat

If you get too cold I'll tax the heat

If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

Archived