Ot - Buy A Travel Mug

J.O.

Okay, I know this has nothing to do with aviation but I saw this interesting tidbit today and just had to share it. I've been using a travel mug for a couple of years now.

On average, Canadian adults drink over two cups of coffee every day. In a number of cases, the coffee is served in a disposable paper cup.

• Over 1.6 billion coffee cups are sent to Canadian landfills each year. That's over 940,000 trees.
  • Paper and cardboard make up over 40% of the solid waste buried in North American landfills. Of that 40%, a disproportionate amount is attributable to disposable coffee cups.
  • It takes about 20 years for a paper cup to decompose in a landfill.

As a community, we need to reduce our consumption of disposable coffee cups.

Drinking coffee, or any other beverage for that matter is not the problem.

It's what is used as the vessel to consume that beverage that is the problem. And it is up to us as individuals to make responsible choices in enjoying our beverages.

The best example of responsible packaging I can think of is beer bottles and cans. The bottles can be reused multiple times, and then recycled into new bottles. Same with the cans.

As well, I believe the major coffee chains also give a small discount on your beverage if you supply your own cup.

Yeah those old folks that messed up the planet eh? Milk delivered in reusable bottles, Cloth diapers that were laundered and the list goes on. What we have now is pollution in the name of convenience. I still cannot believe how over packaged some products are. The other day I bought a bottle of Reactine (because Allergy season has finally arrived). The small bottle came in a box 4x the size of the bottle. What a ridiculous waste of resources. Bigger box = Bigger case = Bigger Skid = Bigger load on Truck = More fuel used to ship nothing but air.

$1.84 for a tall coffee at Starbucks with my re-usable stainless mug. It's a actually a Grande size but they always charge for a tall. That's a $.40 savings every time.

Perhaps coffee companies should charge extra for disposable cups instead of discounting reusable ones, like most grocery stores do with plastic bags.

That's the same retail strategy that makes people hate airlines. Best to give a discount when people bring their own.

"It turns out that most recycling plants reject coffee cups for recycling because of the thin plastic lining that makes them waterproof — so even if you put your cup in the paper recycling bin it will most likely get thrown away."

I'd heard that as well but still tossed them in the bin. Ironically, Vancouver-area recycling has announced these cups will be accepted for blue bins as of 19 May.

Must have upgraded the machines.

Archived