Vintage Photo

DGP,

You and the rest of the restoration team should be very proud of the work you've done. One of these days I will get to the museum for a visit.

Are the engines still in the nacelles or were they removed and the props held on with magic? :)

I know all about the Lucas jokes. I have a particular fondness for British sports cars.

My personal favourite joke:

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because Lucas built the refrigerators.

VP

The engines are still in the nacelles, number three has been detailed and we leave the cowls open. My dad was an instructor at BCIT until 1985 I think it was shortly after that Rolls strongly suggested they stop running the engines due to corrosion.

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because Lucas built the refrigerators.

Sorry not true....while on exchange with the Brits, they had a snack (NAAFI) truck that came around to each squadron. I noticed that in the middle of summer they had a small electric oven to keep their Cornish Pasties warm.....and their pop/soda sat in a cardboard box on the floor of the truck...

Brits just don't get it...

Just like going to LHR for a layover in August...city temperatures are 28-30º...walk into a hotel room, as the couple in the adjacent room walk into theirs..."i hope you're not expecting an air conditioning..." they said. Worst sleep of my airline life....25-30º in the room, no a/c, the window opened about 3" inwards, on the inside wall of a courtyard...

Ask a Brit about Air Conditioning and they'll tell you that it doesn't get that warm in Britain :Furious:

VP

The engines are still in the nacelles, number three has been detailed and we leave the cowls open. My dad was an instructor at BCIT until 1985 I think it was shortly after that Rolls strongly suggested they stop running the engines due to corrosion.

Yup, we ran it early 1985 and I think we were the last class to do so. I think I might have been the last in my class to run it, making me possibly the last guy to have ever run that airplane. Cool!!

It was number three that we ran BTW.

• 3 years later...

This type of aircraft was in service to YPR when I joined Canadian Pacific. In addition to the pilots there was an onboard engineer to take care of fueling, ADI or deicing fluid top up or any problem that could be fixed without needing a hangar. Even a tire change was possible. On the ground, passenger agents guided them onto the ramp, set the chocks, connected the GPU , pushed up the stairs and opened the passenger door. While this was happening the bus and truck drivers did the loading / unloading of the belly compartments (all hand bombing).

Cockpit.JPG.2e9848b4e1257084122af3f5e17e5f7c.JPG

Great banter! I love old guys talking about old planes. With all respect, the comments here are important in remembering how we all got here and equally important as the equipment itself. I am looking forward to contributing to such a thread in a few more years - until then I will enjoy your contributions. Well done.

Archived