Vintage Photo

I did fly the Viscount (800 series). Usually the baggage went underneath. We had two baggage pits forward with 2 separate doors, and one in the tail.

The F-27, and some Convairs had a baggage rack forward upstairs. Maybe that was the case here.

The Viscount that I flew had a convertible interior. Full first class, all economy seats, all-cargo and a combination of these. In the case of sports teams and musical performers the equipment went in the front (upstairs).

Here is a WAG about the belt loader:

The Viscount only had a bucket for a lavatory system. The belt loader was so that someone (junior) could access the forward lav and retrieve the bucket without carrying it (and the contents) through the cabin.

I did fly the Viscount (800 series). Usually the baggage went underneath. We had two baggage pits forward with 2 separate doors, and one in the tail.

The F-27, and some Convairs had a baggage rack forward upstairs. Maybe that was the case here.

The Viscount that I flew had a convertible interior. Full first class, all economy seats, all-cargo and a combination of these. In the case of sports teams and musical performers the equipment went in the front (upstairs).

Interesting info. Thanks W5.

The Viscount had two under floor baggage doors on the right side. the baggage compartment aft of the cockpit on the TCA Viscount was in the space the original model used for a radio operator position. TCA made 250 modifications to the original design to " North Americanize"the Viscount with out these changes the aircraft would not have had a market outside Europe. TCA also added heated windshields, single point refuelling, two man cockpit, anti skid brakes and tank to engine fuel..... the Brits had two engines running off the same tank.

The Viscount had two under floor baggage doors on the right side. the baggage compartment aft of the cockpit on the TCA Viscount was in the space the original model used for a radio operator position. TCA made 250 modifications to the original design to " North Americanize"the Viscount with out these changes the aircraft would not have had a market outside Europe. TCA also added heated windshields, single point refuelling, two man cockpit, anti skid brakes and tank to engine fuel..... the Brits had two engines running off the same tank.

Those crazy Brits. I was told the radio equipment (avionics) on this aircraft were also a nightmare to maintain. For example, vacuum tubes held in place by springs.

The one I flew had few interesting things and quirks. It was one of the British models: alcohol for the windshield, heater flaps for wing de-ice (you closed them and used engine exhaust for de-icing the leading edge),. If you had been sitting in the snow, you better get up the horizontal stab and clean out the snow and de-icing fluid out of the curtain between stab and elevator. In turbulence you had to reduce engine power below 12500 rpm, as you could auto-feather all 4 engines.

Hydraulic cupboard: sight glass is full means system is empty and vice versa. Before setting park brakes on the tow you had to pump up the system via a large pump handle.

Parked in the rain you had to have garbage bags under the windows, in order to prevent all the water leaking into the electronics. Lots of windshield wipers that did bugger all.

Don't get me started on the overhead panel and centre pedestal; or some of the procedures and checklists.

blues, re, "I was told the radio equipment (avionics) on this aircraft were also a nightmare to maintain. For example, vacuum tubes held in place by springs."

&

W5 re, "Parked in the rain you had to have garbage bags under the windows, in order to prevent all the water leaking into the electronics."

Lucas...the Prince of Darkness

One of our guys who was/is very dedicated-to-airplanes-of-all-kinds brought a familiar Viscount across the Salish Sea to Victoria Airport where I believe it now resides, awaiting restoration. Don't know much more than that but I can find out if anyone wishes. Here's a photo of the operation:

i-gvhVdj5-XL.gif

For an old beast it appears to be in good shape.

A family friend (retired from Boeing) is involved with the Seattle air museum. He worked on the prototype 737-100 now parked with the Concorde, Air Force One 707, 727 and 747. Their latest addition for which he was team lead is a Super Connie repainted in classic TCA colors. It's the same machine that was parked at Toronto's old Constellation Hotel and then later on Derry Rd. They did a beautiful job of restoring this classic airliner.

Check out this photo

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/83316231.jpg

They are planning to build a covered structure to keep these aircraft out of the west coast weather.

You are correct, Don. That Viscount currently resides at the BC Aviation Museum at YYJ. I keep telling myself to stop in for a visit every time I overnight there but haven't made it yet.

The exterior has being repainted in original TCA colours. I can't comment on the interior but I'm sure it's been refreshed as well.

The restoration of THG started in the Spring of 2007 and took about four years to complete. The original group of 3 time expired AC pilots was joined by an eclectic group of very dedicated nut bars.

We had asked Air Canada on two occasions to help us with the restoration but no luck. To cover the cost of the interior we sold seats sponsorships to individuals, we had considered the traditional practice of overselling but thought better of it.

We are very proud of the end product and it is very popular with visitors to the museum. We all forget that this is one of the only opportunities people now have walk around and touch an airline aircraft........ even though she not state of the art by any measure.

One of the modifications TCA had Vickers agree to back in 1953 when the aircraft was ordered was that it have North American instruments and radios the only exception was the ADF's. Due to this requirement the original 724 models didn't have auto pilots because the only type available was the Smith's which was not compatible with the Collins equipment. Vickers tried very hard to get TCA to except the DECCA system....... "Dedicated Englishmen Creating Chaos Abroad". Think of a FMS designed by Lucas.

Dave

That's the old BCIT viscount. It was the first aircraft I ever ran when I was a student there.

Really happy to see the old girl preserved.

Archived