Wasn't That A Party!

cp fa

Last night was the Air Canada pilots retirement party, honoring those pilots who retired from YYZ base in 2013, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record...record...record... (I hope I'm not the only one old enough to understand that reference!)

Again, the most prevalent topic of conversation was how fast it all went by. One minute you're a second officer with young kids, the next your kids have grown up and flown the coop, and you're setting the parking brake for the last time, and it seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye. So enjoy it while you can, make the most of it, and from the guys who medicalled out and didn't make it to retirement age, don't take it for granted.

One of the highlights of the evening for me was when the MEC chair, who had relatively little time to prepare, delivered a very moving and heartfelt tribute. In all the years we've been participating in this event (27? 28? Too long to remember) it was one of the best speeches I've heard.

A big shoutout to the longtime chair of the retirement committee, as well as the ACPA secretary who I swear has magical superpowers, and is the brains behind the operation. Their hard work over the years has made this party such a great send off for the retirees. For me, it has also been great to be able to reconnect with some of my favourite pilots from my CP Air and Canadian 737 days.

So, many thanks to all the retirees and their families for all of their contributions and sacrifices. Congratulations, and all the best in your retirement!

Archived