The Definitive Once-And-For-All Answer Of Why Some Say "air Canada's 844"

While we are on radio topics please explain why pilots use "oh" as a number. It is not a number it is a letter!! It is "zero". Having said that the media continue to say "oh" as well instead of zero.

People, just not pilots, are lazy.............easier/shorter to say "oh" instead of "zee-ro".

Look at how we have shortened the English language........Television = TV.....Refrigerator = Fridge........Brassiere = Bra...... Veterinarian = Vet ......Telephone = Phone................... and the list goes on :Grin-Nod::Grin-Nod:

Less syllables=easier to say.

Do you say Highway four-zero-one or four-oh-one?

As for the use of "ahhh" in communicating; I always thought it was a sub-conscious reaction telling the speaker to slow down their communication. Gives the brain time to catch up to what's being said. Probably not a bad thing to engage brain prior to opening mouth in some circumstances...;)

Apparently the use of "Ahh" and "Umm" are "filler words" (if you can call them words).

Or, when one has to say something over the PA that is not the usual script, then Umm's Ahh's occurs. Lol.

My English teacher said phrases like "Umm" and "Ahh" are 'word-whiskers' and are used by the speaker to allow the brain to figure out how to continue the conversation prior to opening ones mouth to speak. :103:

Certainly not everyone has the 'gift -of-gab' and while in the Forces in 412(T) Squadron, which was tasked with much VIP flying, if I sensed the FO was having trouble with clear and concise PA's I had him use a 'spit-board'.

(A pre-made PA enclosed in hard plastic with blank spots in the PA where the speaker could write in specific details with a grease pencil and erase it after use)

Many times after using the 'spit-board' many of the young fellas managed to forget about the board and were able to wing a good PA...just takes practice.

Some things you never forget..especially if you had a great teacher

(((PS..the same teacher, as above, advised against ever giving a speech with your hand(s) in your pocket(s), especially if the pocket(s) contained any coins because as soon as the speaker started to move the coins around, he would lose about 50% of his audience because the listeners would be trying to guess...how many coins and what were their denominations (nickels, dimes, quarters???) :Grin-Nod: )))

Archived