Can Ac Ever Overcome It's Negative Image?

props2you

I will jump into this dog fight with an observation of my own.

If you want to know why YYC Media (particularly Global Calgary) give such good reviews to WS, then research the LinkedIn page of their reporters.

Doing the above will reveal the part time reporters who moonlight as Flight Attendants for WS and WS Encore.

Cathy MacDonald is one such reporter, there are others.

Interesting that the say this under their journalistic principles and practices section:

"We will not formulate news content based on our own personal cultural beliefs, opinions, corporate influences or those of anyone else engaged in its preparation or delivery."

http://globalnews.ca/pages/principles-practices/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have all observed those that exude the impression that for the money they (or usually their company's money and not theirs) have spent on the ticket they now get to bark orders for the next few hours demanding this, that and the other thing. To watch some of the "beauties" in J class that are overwhelmed by their own importance usually brings a smile to my face. I sit there secretly hoping (inside thought) for turbulence and a spilled coffee or two. They truely think that they bought the entire aircraft complete with it's employees that now, at their command, have to do absolutely everything they want and "right away". They need to realize that it was the "ride" they paid for along with a trained crew member that will keep them safe should the unthinkable arise and everything else is a bonus. As far as rude agents and back end crew, everyone has their bad days and with some of the demands by the self entitled, it's no wonder that every now and then one gets put in their place. Just as a footnote here, if you think that Air Canada is challenged with rude staff, I would suggest that you fly on some of the carriers south of the 49th...... eye opening... :-)

Yes Alison Redford and Pamela Wallin come to mind.

:cool::cool::cool:

The best "vote" as far as how well AC is doing is, for those that participate, the stock price this year compared to a year ago last January or so.

I've travelled extensively on both of Canada's largest carriers, on WJ because they're the best way to get to some destinations. They both do the job well though differently, but we'll prefer to travel AC, first because it is more familiar of course, but also it is just a superb service for the price. I've yet to travel Rouge but will, several times this year. I hear it is an excellent service with equally fine service.

If AC has a media fault it is because AC doesn't brag about itself. Never has - it just goes ahead and does stuff - do we ever see anything about the Dreams-Take-Flight - sure, one, two articles maybe but lose a dog?

The incidents such as lost dogs, weather delays, turbulence events, particularly outstanding employees (in both directions!), occur at both carriers so highlighting such news in the media is trivial business.

So I showed my wife today a wool blanket that I had from my childhood, which was my Dad's from when he was young in England. The first thing she noticed was the small ink spot from my leaky fountain pen! Not that it was a nice plaid wool blanket. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience on Air Canada other than one time I had to sit in the smoking section.

thor;

The small ink spot sticks out like "a sore thumb"! Now if it had been from your Dad's leaky fountain pen, that may have made a difference...

Regarding the smoking-section experience, of course every airline had such sections at one time and so the 'bad experience' was possible on any carrier one flew with. Thank goodness that's long over with!! Now, airlines must ensure that use of cell-phones is not technically-supported on-board before the grating voices of the entitled classes and others free from the constraints of polite public behaviour do not flow over into one's already-limited acoustic space in the aluminum tube.

canadaairguy;

Re, Global's corporate statement, " 'We will not formulate news content based on our own personal cultural beliefs, opinions, corporate influences or those of anyone else engaged in its preparation or delivery.' "

Such statements are silly. In a healthy culture they should be embarrassing but in a corporate-run society the cost of these kinds of ridiculous statements is low because media already have a very low "integrity-factor". They come from the man-behind-the-curtain; they're illusions and not even meant to be believed. Such things are like paint; they're part of the corporate decor and you can't believe in "paint" or "decor".

They have to sound reasonable and theoretically doable without being actually binding so corporate mission statements and broad policy statements are the corporate version of "beige". That's partly what corporate legal departments are for.

This is all trivially true because, given human nature and the strong pulls within corporate culture to "other" values which privilege commercial interests, to believe in such statements would bring constant disappointment. A sort-of intellectual self-defence grows after a few such disappointments usually borne of personal experience and people stop believing these kinds of things.

Obviously one could do a study. A poster here has already pointed the way to do it: examine the work of some reporters who both write for media and work for a specific corporation to show a statistically meaningful connection between the two. It is usually done by examining column-inches in newspapers and story-durations in television dedicated to one point of view. The occasional 'positive' story is always normal; a bias easily spotted where there are no counter-examples from the same reporter.

But other than for academic reasons, why bother? It is not possible to embarrass media, it is only possible to ignore them.

they never will in this day and age of instant reporting / videos of wrong doing.The article says they contract out their handling at YYZ, is this true?Link to article and videohttp://globalnews.ca/news/1279385/watch-air-canada-baggage-handlers-toss-carry-on-luggage-off-jetway-stairs/

They "contract" out to ACGHS. That's Air Canada Ground Handling Services.

Many of the YYZ rampies are excellent workers who take pride in their jobs. Unfortunately there are some who do not.

These are two of them.

Guest longtimer

They "contract" out to ACGHS. That's Air Canada Ground Handling Services.

Many of the YYZ rampies are excellent workers who take pride in their jobs. Unfortunately there are some who do not.

These are two of them.

I agree, most are hard working, VG employees and then there are.... But perhaps in this case there was some pressure to get the bird away and not take a delay? Re the 20' drop, if it was an airbus the doorsill is 11.42 feet so .... but the real dumb part is not the height of the drop but doing it where it could be filmed.

Re the delay. Can't see why they would feel pressure to hurry. If the bags were going below due to no room in the cabin, that delay wouldn't be coded to ACGHS.

.... but the real dumb part is not the height of the drop but doing it where it could be filmed.

That's the dumb part? As a former Station Attendant, it seems pretty obvious to me that purposely dropping the bags was the dumb part

Maybe someone who cares at the top will see this and finally get baggage slides in YYZ, just like every US airport has.

OTOH, it is a good use of the air conditioning hose. It's the only functional use it gets. :Grin-Nod::Grin-Nod:

Guest longtimer

That's the dumb part? As a former Station Attendant, it seems pretty obvious to me that purposely dropping the bags was the dumb part

Ah the limitation of this media. Of course I meant, if you are going to do something stupid, being dumb enough to do it in public proves how stupid you are.......

The fault for this lies with Air Canada management, for not having baggage slides on all the stairs, ( I know they are installed on some gates) and for NOT ENFORCING CARRY-ON LIMITS ! Doing it BEFORE the passenger gets to the door of the aircraft would help. Ah well, I'm sure a couple of Rampies got fired for this. You know, these guys get fired at the drop of a hat.

The fault for this lies with Air Canada management, for not having baggage slides on all the stairs, ( I know they are installed on some gates) and for NOT ENFORCING CARRY-ON LIMITS ! Doing it BEFORE the passenger gets to the door of the aircraft would help. Ah well, I'm sure a couple of Rampies got fired for this. You know, these guys get fired at the drop of a hat.

It's not that limits are necessarily exceeded, it's that everyone thinks that when the F/A's make the announcement about putting one bag overhead, and another under the seat- "that can't POSSIBLY be for me!".

I was deadheading recently in a 319, and was seated towards the back. We were last getting on and there was no room for bags. The F/A in the back was not very helpful that I had to stow my roll-aboard somewhere. I ended up walking up and down the aisle, found a couple of smaller attaché cases taking up a spot- pulled them out and asked "who's is this" (for Kip; "To whom does this bag belong?" :)

Pax below waves, I look at his feet (nothing but cavernous space), and passed it to him and asked if he heard the announcement just made? Then I look like the bad guy...

Many agents will scope the holding area for bags to go below, but it's true that many also allow stuff aboard that has no business in the cabin, and then let the cabin crew deal with the mess.

Guest longtimer

And the story has gone viral making the news in most papers and news outlets....

more ads for:

air canada baggage allowance,

air canada baggage

Search Shortcut

Air Canada Baggage Handlers News Results

Air Canada investigating after baggage handler tosses luggage from stairway

CTV.ca Apr 18 06:11pm

Air Canada investigating after video shows luggage tossed through...

Toronto Star Apr 18 07:51pm

Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video

CBC via Yahoo! Canada News Apr 18 06:50pm

Search results

Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video ...

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/air-canada-investigating...

Air Canada says it is investigating after a video that appears to show its baggage handlers dropping items from a tall staircase circulated on the internet.

Air Canada investigating after baggage handler seen tossing ...

toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-investigating-after...

A passenger on a recent Air Canada flight was stunned after witnessing a baggage handler carelessly tossing luggage from a stairway into a bin several feet below.

WATCH: Air Canada baggage handlers toss carry-on luggage off ...

globalnews.ca/...air-canada-baggage-handlers...jetway-stairs Cached

B.C. resident Dwayne Stewart was shocked to see Air Canada baggage handlers tossing luggage off jetway stairs Thursday.

Dodo Can Spell: Wanna see what Air Canada handlers do with ...

dodocanspell.blogspot.com/...air-canada-handlers-do.html Cached

CBC via YahooNews:...Air Canada says it is investigating after a video that appears to show its baggage handlers dropping items from a tall, moving ...

Air Canada investigating after video shows luggage tossed ...

www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/04/18/air_canada... Cached

Air Canada says it’s investigating after an online video showed baggage handlers throwing luggage through the air into bins several metres below.

Air Canada Baggage Toss Video Triggers Investigation

www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/18/air-canada-baggage-toss... Cached

Air Canada Baggage Toss Video Triggers ... This clearly goes against our standard baggage handling procedures which dictates that gate-checked bags are ...

NEWSTALK 1010 - IN-DEPTH RADIO :: WATCH: Baggage handler ...

www.newstalk1010.com/.../19/watch-baggage-handler...stairway Cached

Air Canada is investigating complaints from passengers on a recent flight, after a video was posted online showing a baggage handler tossing luggage from a ...

Baggage Handler Air Canada Jobs | Workopolis.com

www.workopolis.com/jobsearch/baggage-handler-air-canada-jobs Cached

1 Baggage Handler Air Canada jobs available. Find the best Baggage Handler Air Canada jobs on Workopolis.com and Apply Now!

Passenger films Air Canada worker tossing luggage off ...

bc.ctvnews.ca/passenger-films-air-canada-worker-tossing...

Air Canada is apologizing after a passenger posted a video online of one of the company’s baggage handlers tossing luggage off the top of a movable stairway and ...

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO! - FlyerTalk Forums

www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada...ac-baggage-handlers... Cached

"Air Canada 1 hour ago We are extremely disappointed by the actions depicted in this video. This clearly goes against our standard baggage handling procedures which

I agree, most are hard working, VG employees and then there are.... But perhaps in this case there was some pressure to get the bird away and not take a delay? Re the 20' drop, if it was an airbus the doorsill is 11.42 feet so .... but the real dumb part is not the height of the drop but doing it where it could be filmed.

There is no excuse for what these workers did. Carelessness and completely disrespectful....plain and simple!! :angry:

Archived