Can Ac Ever Overcome It's Negative Image?

props2you

So I'm reading an article in the Globe on "The Big Bang Theory" and tucked into it is this nugget:

...Big Bang Theory is the most popular show in Canada. It can draw as many as 3.5 million viewers for a new episode. This is in a marketplace, splintered by countless competing cable channels, where the magic number is 1 million viewers for a show.

The show is also ubiquitous. You can watch old episodes on almost any night of the week. Get on an Air Canada flight and you’ll find a bunch of episodes to watch while the staff is rude to you...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/could-big-bang-theory-go-bust/article17773010/

:o can AC ever overcome that causual ingrained scorn?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o can AC ever overcome that causual ingrained scorn?

Now would that be "causal"

(1: expressing or indicating cause : causative <a causal clause introduced by since>

2: of, relating to, or constituting a cause <the causal agent of a disease>
3: involving causation or a cause : marked by cause and effect <a causal link>
4: arising from a cause <a causal development>)

or casual?

1: subject to, resulting from, or occurring by chance <a casual meeting>
2a : occurring without regularity : occasional <casual employment>
b : employed for irregular periods <a casual worker>
c : met with on occasion and known only superficially <a casual friend>
3 a (1) : feeling or showing little concern : nonchalant <a casual approach to cooking> (2) : lacking a high degree of interest or devotion <casual sports fans> <casual readers> (3) : done without serious intent or commitment <casual sex>

b (1) : informal, natural <a casual conversation> (2) : designed for informal use <casual clothing>

Either could apply! :Clever:

SORRY, COULDN'T RESIST....

That's quite a statement for someone who just arrived at a party, Nighthawk.

While there is the occasional jibe across the bow here and the ongoing fight between Bean and MD2, a lot of us have worked at AC for quite a while and I, being one of them, take offence.

That's quite a statement for someone who just arrived at a party, Nighthawk.

While there is the occasional jibe across the bow here and the ongoing fight between Bean and MD2, a lot of us have worked at AC for quite a while and I, being one of them, take offence.

:Grin-Nod::Grin-Nod: :Grin-Nod: :Grin-Nod::biggrin1:

I think if you took a survey of people who actually fly on Air Canada, you would find that the vast majority have a positive experience.

I also think that if you took a survey of people who post negative comments anonymously, especially in the comments section of newspaper articles, you would find that the vast majority have either never flown on Air Canada, or had a bad experience 20 years ago, and have painted all Air Canada employees with the same brush ever since, despite the fact that the person who pissed them off in the first place is probably long retired.

Every company has bad apples, and there's no such thing as a perfect airline, but I travel on Air Canada a lot, sometimes on passes, sometimes full rev in J, and I can't remember the last time I had anything other than great customer service.

Sorry, I meant Casual!

And yes, I thought the article was a cheap shot. I've never had rude service onboard an AC flight. Agents, well that can be another matter, though it's been about 7 years since I've had one that gave me, um, pause about their chosen vocation.

The author, Doyle, probably doesn't even feel that AC gives or is likely to give rude service. He just added that comment because it's a cheap and easy laugh and it adds a zinger to close the sentence. I'm writing a response to the writer of the article, John Doyle, and I suggest others who have posted here do the same: jdoyle@globeandmail.com.

Here's where I'm starting:

Dear Mr Doyle; I was reading your article yesterday regarding The Big Bang Theory and I noticed an error. I've corrected it for you below;

The show is also ubiquitous. You can watch old episodes on almost any night of the week. Get on an Air Canada flight and you’ll find a bunch of episodes to watch while the staff is rude to you while you travel in comfort to your destination on one of the world's safest airlines. There, that's better.

Seeker:

If I may. You left out the Flight Attendants who are, after all, the face of the company in the eyes of the passengers. While I do agree that the pilots are, as you commented " the world's most experienced and highly trained" They are not really in a position to provide "Rude" service to the customers. I do believe you should change the statement to "the world's most experienced and highly trained Flight Crews"

Just dont want to leave anyone out

Seeker:

If I may. You left out the Flight Attendants who are, after all, the face of the company in the eyes of the passengers. While I do agree that the pilots are, as you commented " the world's most experienced and highly trained" They are not really in a position to provide "Rude" service to the customers. I do believe you should change the statement to "the world's most experienced and highly trained Flight Crews"

Just dont want to leave anyone out

Yeah, OK, I was including the pilots in "staff" and was insulted by the implication that I would be rude but I modified my post on your advise.

If you read the comments after the article, those that mentioned the snipe at AC for the most part agreed that it was unnecessary and unwarranted. Normally I wouldn't put much stock in those comments, but I think that people who watch Big Bang Theory tend to be more on the intelligent, well educated side, as opposed to Roseanne watchers, or Ford Nation supporters. ;)

Not trying to justify the allegedly rude behaviour of the agent (I've seen some beauts), buuuut, being a immensely talented virtuoso, handicapped star doesn't preclude the idea he could be a self entitled, prima donna jerk who earned the treatment at some level. I think he could afford to hire help.

True, but still no excuse for leaving the guy like that. I did find it interesting that he went immediately to the press with a matter that could have been settled privately between him and customer service.

The statement was not to be taken seriously. Did you notice the emocion after it ? I think the staff shouldn't be worried about how people feel about AC in respect to them. It's probably more about how the government and the corporate types ran the airline. Also if the world was so serious and up tight, it would be damn boring. Queen Victoria, "We are not amused." -_-.

The best "vote" as far as how well AC is doing is, for those that participate, the stock price this year compared to a year ago last January or so.

I've travelled extensively on both of Canada's largest carriers, on WJ because they're the best way to get to some destinations. They both do the job well though differently, but we'll prefer to travel AC, first because it is more familiar of course, but also it is just a superb service for the price. I've yet to travel Rouge but will, several times this year. I hear it is an excellent service with equally fine service.

If AC has a media fault it is because AC doesn't brag about itself. Never has - it just goes ahead and does stuff - do we ever see anything about the Dreams-Take-Flight - sure, one, two articles maybe but lose a dog?

The incidents such as lost dogs, weather delays, turbulence events, particularly outstanding employees (in both directions!), occur at both carriers so highlighting such news in the media is trivial business.

I will jump into this dog fight with an observation of my own.

If you want to know why YYC Media (particularly Global Calgary) give such good reviews to WS, then research the LinkedIn page of their reporters.

Doing the above will reveal the part time reporters who moonlight as Flight Attendants for WS and WS Encore.

Cathy MacDonald is one such reporter, there are others.

Not trying to justify the allegedly rude behaviour of the agent (I've seen some beauts), buuuut, being a immensely talented virtuoso, handicapped star doesn't preclude the idea he could be a self entitled, prima donna jerk who earned the treatment at some level. I think he could afford to hire help.

We have all observed those that exude the impression that for the money they (or usually their company's money and not theirs) have spent on the ticket they now get to bark orders for the next few hours demanding this, that and the other thing. To watch some of the "beauties" in J class that are overwhelmed by their own importance usually brings a smile to my face. I sit there secretly hoping (inside thought) for turbulence and a spilled coffee or two. They truely think that they bought the entire aircraft complete with it's employees that now, at their command, have to do absolutely everything they want and "right away". They need to realize that it was the "ride" they paid for along with a trained crew member that will keep them safe should the unthinkable arise and everything else is a bonus. As far as rude agents and back end crew, everyone has their bad days and with some of the demands by the self entitled, it's no wonder that every now and then one gets put in their place. Just as a footnote here, if you think that Air Canada is challenged with rude staff, I would suggest that you fly on some of the carriers south of the 49th...... eye opening... :-)

I do most of my travelling on Air Canada and I would say somewhere in the neighbourhood of 90% are just great, but the ones who are bad are really, really bad. Although I have also encountered some gate agents and flight attendents at WestJet (and especially at YVR) that are also just mindnumbingly awful.

Archived