Blast From The Past

st27

I was watching last nights' installment of "The Profit" [a show on CNBC where a billionaire tries to rescue distressed companies] and did a doubletake when it showed his corporate mount- a Lockheed Jetsar. I suppose if he doesn't fly alot it might make a good choice, a tradeoff between capital cost vs mtc/fuel. This a/c did have the Garetts..can't imagine what the 4 Pratts burned :o

Does anybody have an idea how many are still flying in N. America?? No surprises if there are a ton in mex/s america/africa.

From days ago....

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=254974

Wasn't there a rather large AD on those that forced many owners to ditch them as the cost exceeded value? I seem to recall that issue with a few owners in the past.

There was an issue with the electrical system and a major retrofit to the generator control system was developed but it was not without problems. In one unfortunate case, a recently modified Jetstar that belonged to Texasgulf Aviation crashed on approach to Westchester County airport in White Plains, NY. The modified electrical system had progressively failed during an earlier flight to Toronto until all of the generators had tripped off line. On the return flight from Toronto, the weather was marginal. The NTSB found evidence to suggest that a major electrical malfunction had occurred on the return flight. They determined that the crew was distracted by the electrical failures and crashed during the approach. Six senior executives and the two pilots died.

I remember the Westchester crash and i believe it prompted corporations to re-think executive travel arrangements so that if there was a fatal crash, it would not wipe out the governance of the company.

The Jetstar aircraft always turned heads when it arrived on any ramp.

Archived