Water Bomber Near Beach

deicer

It was three separate pickups. Following the discussions on other forums last year, there were a few folks from that part of the industry that expressed some concern over the proximity to the spectators ... particularly if anything had gone wrong at the start of the pickup.

Thanks CD.... I gotta say... the pilot flying sure seems to know the dimensions and abilities of his airplane quite well! It's good to hear the vid to know nobody on the beach was worried at all.... I don't know where the line gets drawn there, but I'm awfully tempted to give the PIC a let, when you consider he was putting out fires....

On a side note, does anyone know what the disposition of the two Martin Mars water bombers is?

I think one went to the US Navy museum on the east coast but last I heard the other was still active?

I am familiar with the area, and there is certainly no shortage of available spots in open water where they could pick up water. There is absolutely zero reason for those pilots to come this close to a populated beach. If ANYTHING had gone wrong, there was a huge potential for tragedy, and it was completely unneccesary. In my opinion, these pilots were showboating.

As reluctant as I am to rebuke the pilots, I tend to agree. Yes, it is fun to do the "low-level" stuff but I am sure that those viewing the video noticed, the first aircraft 'tuned' right after the pick-up and left the area. The other shots had the aircraft make a slight left turn and head down the lake and then lift off where there was much more room.

In my opinion there was lots of room to drop on past the swimming area and get the water, and lift off down the 'left-turn' of the lake.

I can only imagine the hue and cry from the viewers had they lost an engine or lost directional control and turned into the swimming group.

I really don't think the operation was a safe operation..............more of a 'lucky' operation. :glare:

Until someone supplies a back-story, how do we know this wasn't planned or staged?

The Parry Sound area has lots of open water. This could be a sales video to show what the CL-415 is capable of.

Really?..I mean really?? A sales video with kids laughing in the background and done near a swimming area. If I was King and my staff produced this video...heads would roll. :103:

Was he really scooping water? I only saw a trace of overflow come out in one of the passes

I would disagree.....he was sucking water, it was just hard to see the overflow on the second and third passes due to the direction he turned to lift off.

A point to consider - the photography was done with a telephoto lens which compresses the scene. They may well have been at a greater distance from the beach than the film would indicate. Just a thought.

I would say that the video was done by an ordinary camera with a zoom lens, similar to a good cell phone or a Canon 'Sure-Shot' camera. Take a look as the camera pans through the backs of the spectators......and I am sure you noticed that the right wing pontoon came over the swimming area or very damned close to it.

Good grief, Kip. Relax. I'm just throwing thoughts out there. Sheesh...

As I said, until someone posts the back-story, we'll never know.

Unless this river/swimming hole was the only body of water available, and that's not likely in this area of the country, I'd bet this was all prearranged.

Archived