Sunwing Delay At Yyc

internet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the copy editors need to take a quick look at the definition of "rioting", but the term sells the story and therefore, newspapers in at least two large markets.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Police+forced+calm+rioting+airport+passengers+after+delay/9323627/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/calgary/Police+forced+calm+rioting+airport+passengers+after+delay/9323665/story.html

Sunwing's "Champagne Service" flight had a 10am sched departure with a 16:35 arrival departed YYC at 21:21 arrived at CUN 03:21. If customers were staying on the so called Mayan Riviera, I doubt they'd have been tucked into bed much before 6am. Nice.....

I wonder how many of those customers will ever book Sunwing again after paying full shot for a week in Cancun over the Holiday Season and losing a night, not to mention having the next day completely upside down due to the time change and an unscheduled redeye flight....

Meanwhile, WS2310 departed on time the same day and arrived in CUN 8 minutes early at 15:02. I didn't see any AC YYC-CUN flights on Dec 25th.

I noticed Transat had a similar issue on Dec 21 ex YYJ on one of their contract carriers to somewhere in the sunny south as well. There were a number of unhappy customers in the boarding lounge at 13:30 there who'd been at the airport since 7am or earlier.

Ya get what you pay for.......

:cool:

You're being a little harsh there aren't you Bean? Didn't Westjet have a vacation flight delayed for a few days last year? I think every airline has these sort of things happen from time to time. As for whether or not the passengers will book a Sunwing flight next time - if it's the cheapest the vast majority will!

The BEAN = Homer!! First of all let me just say I have a great deal of respect for Westjet. Super airline smart folk's!! Good on em!! As for the Bean your post's alway's seem to point the finger at the other guy!! Ex: I work for Transat and your alway's johnny an the spot when we loose money with a quote or two but no were to be seen when were on the other side of the coin!!Hard to respect that!! I believe his talking about 757 trouble in Hawaii some time ago! S%%t happens to ALL of us!!!

The BEAN = Homer!! First of all let me just say I have a great deal of respect for Westjet. Super airline smart folk's!! Good on em!! As for the Bean your post's alway's seem to point the finger at the other guy!! Ex: I work for Transat and your alway's johnny an the spot when we loose money with a quote or two but no were to be seen when were on the other side of the coin!!Hard to respect that!! I believe his talking about 757 trouble in Hawaii some time ago! S%%t happens to ALL of us!!!

Sh!t happens to all of us for sure. How that's handled is what keeps it in the press or out. The choice is the airlines. Hand me a $75 voucher for my next vacation on a 12 hour delay and I would be losing my sh!t in a big way!

Fertilizer happens all the time in the airline business. What separates the good from the great is how these sorts of incidents are handled.

It's pretty obvious Sunwing's contract customer service personnel, who have no stake whatsoever in the venture other than collecting a paycheck, didn't handle the situation particularly well.

Anyone flying the 757 to Hawaii would have difficulty differentiating the service. It is all WJ with the exception of the pilots. It's pretty obvious that scenario will change by the end of the decade.

Sure, WJ uses contract personnel outside of Canada. I have flown WJ to LGA, PHX, PSP, FLL, LAX, HNL, OGG, KOA, MBJ, BGI, PLS, UVF, CUN, PVR, SJD and others yet I am hard pressed to differentiate the contract personnel from organic WestJetters. This is not by accident.

When WJ had it's issue in OGG in Feb 2013, I don't recall any stories about passengers rioting. At the very least, they were sent to nice hotels and all their expenses were covered, without question. There isn't a news organization on the planet, even in Hawaii, that wouldn't be all over this sort of story if there was any suggestion of it being handled horribly. It didn't happen. That's the difference.

As for Transat, imo, the jury remains out. Transat's margin was under 1.9% on $3.5b in annual sales. Even the dopiest investment manager could do better than that.

Transat are being squeezed at both ends. We'll see how things look in 12 months, especially with the yield leakage that will occur on TATL next summer and as NG's are reallocated on longer haul domestic and sun routes as Encore takes over a number of sub 350 mile sectors before I jump on the Transat bandwagon.

Nothing occurs in isolation.

Sure, WJ uses contract personnel outside of Canada. I have flown WJ to LGA, PHX, PSP, FLL, LAX, HNL, OGG, KOA, MBJ, BGI, PLS, UVF, CUN, PVR, SJD and others yet I am hard pressed to differentiate the contract personnel from organic WestJetters. This is not by accident.

I find the neck tattoos and ill-fitting uniforms a pretty reliable indicator.

I find the neck tattoos and ill-fitting uniforms a pretty reliable indicator.

If you were in YHM a few years ago, that guy with the neck tattoo was the Station Manager... and one of the best around, so not sure what your point is.

Amazing how flights were delayed or even cancelled over the past few days due to ice rain, blizzards etc. Hardly surprising that Sunwing had a flight delayed out of YYC and that WestJet didn't, something to do I guess with where the 2 airlines are head quartered ? :icon_anal:

Any WS issues out of YYZ where the ice storm occurred? No WS HQ there and it's the largest operation.

Your Right Bean it was only 100 million better than the last time!!! And I believe it was 3.6 B !! Just Saying

Yep. You are right. It was an operating margin of 1.9% on $3.648b of revenues for the 12 months ended Oct 31 2013

To give you some perspective, WJ produced a 9.29% operating margin on revenues of $3.596b of revenue over the same period.

Night and day.

That's why it's hard for me to get particularly excited about Transat's big turn around. Get those numbers into the high single digits over a sustained period of a couple of years and you've got my attention. Until then, I'm from Missouri.

It's common knowledge the TATL was a gold mine in the summer of 2013. I don't think it's going to be quite as strong in 2014 and I'd venture to guess it'll be even less so in the summer of 2015 and beyond.

:cool:[/quote

I don't fly on Sunwing for many reasons but to sit behind a keyboard telling us this gem of advice is hard to believe from an airline employee.

My WS travels from their "day one" include many on time departures but they also include:

1) Leaving my suitcase behind in a YYC bag cart when I was headed to YYZ on red-eye Xmas eve flight. The teenager handling my lost luggage in Toronto had absolutely no customer service training.

2) More than one flight with the seat back TV display U/S.

3) Walking to the back galley and asking for a soft drink only to be told by the young lady sitting in her jump seat that she'd be around in about an hour with a full cabin service.

4) Most recent WS flight included a 6 hour delay due to a/c equipment failure and no spares at departure airport.

These are the ones I can remember but after many years of deadheading on WS there was usually a story or event to relay when I got home. Here are some others in case you think I'm the only one.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/westjet.htm

Some personal favourites from this website:

On the 6th of November I flew from Vancouver to Maui and I must say that WestJet really lost their edge towards Air Canada in the past few years. Considering the flight was for six hours and in the middle of the day (10.30-4 Pacific time), I was expecting some sort of meal and drinks. However, the drink cart only came around once and there was no food served whatsoever (excluding a single bag of pretzels). As well, they had absolutely no inflight entertainment of which they are famous for. Overall, the only thing that was even decent was the low price I got for the flight but I see why it was so low now.

Return flight from Chicago to Victoria BC (via Calgary) was late leaving. We were very concerned about making our connection. When we asked the flight attendants for information we were told they had "no idea" Turned out the flight from Calgary was also late but no one bothered to tell us that. Very poor communication. WestJet has gone downhill. Maybe they could all chip in and buy a clock so every now and then they could leave on time. I only fly with them if no other option or if it's an amazing deal.

@ BD, your personal animus towards WS is well documented on this site but you really felt in was needed to go copy and paste stories from another website on WS customer service failures?

The handful of posters here that will use any reason to pile on would be comical if it was not so pathetic.

Guest rozar s'macco

Airline late/ passenger riot stories. Zzzzzzzzzz

If this type of story blows your hair back, go visit flyertalk.com it's an entire site dedicated to that stuff.

@ BD, your personal animus towards WS is well documented on this site but you really felt in was needed to go copy and paste stories from another website on WS customer service failures?

The handful of posters here that will use any reason to pile on would be comical if it was not so pathetic.

What's pathetic, to use your language, is how the handful of WS posters on this site who feel their airline can do no wrong. Apparently WS has some well documented problems too. What a surprise. If your fellow employees are going to constantly tell how well things are going, let's hear it all. Delays, lost luggage, airplanes that roll off runways and taxiways....just like any other airline.

And if you care to re-read any of the comments I've made on this website regarding WS, I've also stated that they are a good airline. But like any airline, there are good and bad days. Occasionally someone drops the ball and things go wrong.

Sunwing definitely has operational issues and it seems to be an annual event where they make headlines. Lucky for them people have short memories and when the snow piles up outside their window, their prices look good to potential customers. I'm sure your people don't like them rolling into YYC or YVR each winter taking away customers who might have otherwise selected Westjet.

However that will never be me, but I will be a WS (and AC as well as TS) customer again and regularly

review their airfares when I need to travel. And I have a cash balance sitting in some WS internet space towards my next WS flight which intend on using.

I've been in this business a long time. From loading bags to late night ocean crossings and have probably experienced every screw up there is and then some. Please give us a break on the Westjet cheerleading. We all know what really happens.

This is what charter carriers have been doing all along, and it doesn't seem to hurt their business. If people keep going back to Sunwing, it tells you volumes about what people will do when they have a problem with a scheduled airline and vow not to fly that carrier again... if they travel at all, they will fly that carrier again.

@BD The WS posters I see here all seem pretty frank in discussing the airline's problems.

What I don't see is the rush by them to rush to post something negative about another airline in response to a comment about WS.

Have fun trolling other boards, can hardly wait for you to post some FlyerTalk comments here.

@BD The WS posters I see here all seem pretty frank in discussing the airline's problems.

What I don't see is the rush by them to rush to post something negative about another airline in response to a comment about WS.

Have fun trolling other boards, can hardly wait for you to post some FlyerTalk comments here.

So you've completely missed my point.

Best wishes for 2014.

Hey Chockalicious, I think you are missing the balanced objective point BD is making. All airlines (Westjet included) don't always get it right.

BTW, the subject line of this thread wreaks of sarcasm. Attacking a competitor in this fashion seems well below the OP IMHO.

Archived