Hero Or Villain?

Seeker

Our neighbour's schnauzer was attacked and severely injured by an "innocent looking" poodle while out for a walk one day. Both were on a leash but the poodle was being walked by a rather smallish woman who was overpowered by her dog. Yes, pit bulls are inherently dangerous but they are not the only breed who can attack in an unprovoked manner. Sometimes it IS the owner. I don't care what breed it is, when I'm walking our little dog, the only dogs she is allowed to get close to are dogs I know to be harmless (there's only a few of them). I've picked her up more than once when strange dog made a step in her direction. I usually get "he's only playing" from the owner. All they get from me is a suggestion that they learn to control their dog.

It has to be wilful ignorance by the owners, each thinking they have special abilities with dogs and can always keep theirs under control because they "know" what they're doing or they're dog is special.

My dog's fine, until he isn't.

Then they learn.

And god forbid we should expect them to own up when all hell breaks lose.

It has to be wilful ignorance by the owners, each thinking they have special abilities with dogs and can always keep theirs under control because they "know" what they're doing or they're dog is special.

My dog's fine, until he isn't.

Then they learn.

And god forbid we should expect them to own up when all hell breaks lose.

Spot on.

A Tiger is a Tiger , a Lion is a Lion , a Pit Bull is a Pit Bull. They are only doing what they are genetically programmed to do. I literally shiver at the picture of that Vancouver PB with its face up against that little girl. I honestly think the woman should be appraised of her fitness to keep the kid. The same thing as letting her play with a loaded gun.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pit-bull-stabbed-at-kits-beach-defended-by-owner-1.2435423

It's kind of strange. I have no bad feelings toward the PB at all. I would take no pleasure in killing it. My issue is with the owner of this dog and any dog owner of any breed who does not keep it in control.

I look forward to finding the people responsible and having my day in court.

Spot on.

A Tiger is a Tiger , a Lion is a Lion , a Pit Bull is a Pit Bull. They are only doing what they are genetically programmed to do. I literally shiver at the picture of that Vancouver PB with its face up against that little girl. I honestly think the woman should be appraised of her fitness to keep the kid. The same thing as letting her play with a loaded gun.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pit-bull-stabbed-at-kits-beach-defended-by-owner-1.2435423

It's kind of strange. I have no bad feelings toward the PB at all. I would take no pleasure in killing it. My issue is with the owner of this dog and any dog owner of any breed who does not keep it in control.

I look forward to finding the people responsible and having my day in court.

I look forward to finding the people responsible and having my day in court....................What am I missing here?????................ "my day in court"..........??

The SPCA says it will perform a necropsy on the pit bull to determine if it suffered when it died...............Really ?? Is that necessary? I would venture to say the dog "suffered when it died" after being repeatedly stabbed by a COM.

I love dogs.....but I don't like Pit Bulls however just based on the CBC story, it appears that the guy who stabbed the dog was a bit short of a full load .......

I love dogs.....but I don't like Pit Bulls however just based on the CBC story, it appears that the guy who stabbed the dog was a bit short of a full load .......

Kip...we all know that the press is somewhat challenged in printing reliable facts. I have no doubt that if "anything" attacked something/someone you loved , that your reaction would probably be to protect it. How we do it or what we say while we are doing it in the heat of the moment , might make one look a bit short of a full load.

I am referring to my day in court with reference to my Scottie being attacked. I have not found the dogs owner...yet. But I will and I will use all the powers of the law to make sure they realise the folly of Pit Bull ownership.

ANY dog is capable of attacking a smaller dog or even a bigger one for that matter. It is not a matter of breed its a matter of instinct. Yes some dog breeds were "designed" to be fighters but all dogs have their calling. My daughter was bitten while riding her bike by a Golden Retriever, generally accepted to be a very docile breed. The dog gave chase because instinctively that's what the breed does. The owner said he would have the dog put down if I wished it but I told him it wasn't necessary as it was a dog being a dog. Its temperament was exactly what it should be. Something in the dog brough out the instinct to persue and retrieve on my daughters leg. No real damage done.

When I was a kid I had a Golden and it had the best temperament of any dog. played with little kids and was generally loved by all. One day it snapped the neck of a neighbors small dog. We will never know why it was just instinct.

You cannot completely condemn a breed when in fact the entire species has the potential to attack. Even my Cavalier Spaniel kills rabbits.

In spite of all its great traits, I think the Golden is the breed that's statistically most likely to turn on its owner.

Bad experience with a Golden?? I was only bitten once .....as a paper-boy and it was a damned Cocker Spaniel...got my leg and jumped up and got my arm. :Furious:

Nothing to do so Googled that question.(What breed of dog is most likely to turn on its owner) and (most dangerous dog to own)..not once did a Golden show up on any list. Basically there is no actual list but Pit Bulls, Huskys and even the Shepherd are on some of the Googled lists.

One list attached....................

post-598-0-21703500-1385409356_thumb.jpg

The Goldens I've known were always very friendly dogs. I recently read they were somewhat 'over-bred' anymore and now the breed most likely to turn on its owner. I attempted an internet search too, but couldn't find anything.

I borrowed the following interesting information from the 'Dog Whisperers' web site:

"Pit Bulls

Pit bulls have a strong desire to please and will do anything for their family or friends. Pit bull owners are courageous, full of vitality, and are constantly looking out for those they love. They enjoy being around children and make excellent parents and grandparents. There is no better babysitter than a pit bull."

Many breed are "overbred" and even inbred. Common ones like the Sheppard have been so overbred that deformations and disease are bred into the dogs. Heart disease and hip displaysia are two very common ones for example.

Hello all, interesting thread

airt - very sorry to hear about your dog. I think you are right about the knife though. This breed tends to "lock on" and are a bit vulnerable as a result. A stout walking stick provides a bit of reach and is a welcome addition as well. Owner identification often seems to be an issue in these cases and requires a bit of leg work; hope it all works out for you.

As to bans, I always fear the law of unintended consequences. The pit bull crowd (the bad ones I mean) can be a fickle lot. Ban the pit bull and they will get a Cane Corso or a Pressa Canario or a Dogo Argentino or one of a host of others you likely haven't heard of. In short, I fear that breed specific legislation will always be one breed behind and provide disappointing results. A well thought out vicious dog bylaw (with sharp teeth) might work better. Not sure about simplistic this = that equations... this sort of thinking rarely survives first contact.

Archived