Hero Or Villain?

Seeker

VANCOUVER — Vancouver police say a 72-year-old man has killed a pit bull with a folding knife after it attacked his pug near a popular beach.

The incident took place in the early afternoon around the Kitsilano Beach Park.

They say a woman who was walking the pit bull approached the man and the pug, and after a brief introduction the larger dog bit down on the smaller dog’s neck.

Police say the man and woman couldn’t separate the animals, and the man “put down” the pit bull with a folding knife.

more....

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/21/man-stabs-pit-bull-to-death-in-vancouvers-kitsilano-beach-in-retaliation-for-pug-attack/

I reckon he's a hero to his little dog, at least! Pit bulls don't like to let go... she'd have likely killed the Pug if he hadn't stopped her, any way he could. I'm sure I'd hate myself for it afterwards, but I might do the same thing, if I had to.

I'd call the guy a hero. I have no love of pit bulls - the guy might even have saved the pit bull owner's daughter from some future attack! Maybe that's cynical but I just don't trust the breed. I'm really curious to see where the Facebook sentiment takes the story. It will probably turn negative toward him as the pit bull lovers have more invested in defending their animals than the anti-pit bull crowd have to gain from cheering the guy with the knife. Either way - impressive actions from an old guy with a folding knife (not that 72 is that old).

I'd do whatever it takes to protect my dog from an attack like this. Since the pit bull was on-leash, why did the owner not try to restrain it? Owners should know the warning signs of their dogs behaviour.

That been said, unless it was an off-leash park the pug owner should have had his dog leashed.

I want to add that it's irresponsible to leave a small child alone with any dog.

I walk every morning and one morning I passed a woman who was walking a Pit Bull...well...it was more like the dog was walking her. She stayed on her side of the street and I stayed on mine. I stopped and suggested she get a muzzle for the dog as it looked rather vicious and if it got loose, ...well y'know!!!

Saw her again about a week later...dog still pulling her but she did have a muzzle on the dog.

I walk every morning and one morning I passed a woman who was walking a Pit Bull...well...it was more like the dog was walking her. She stayed on her side of the street and I stayed on mine. I stopped and suggested she get a muzzle for the dog as it looked rather vicious and if it got loose, ...well y'know!!!

Saw her again about a week later...dog still pulling her but she did have a muzzle on the dog.

It is illegal in Ontario to have a pitbull out in public without a muzzle. And unless the dog has been around since before 2005 when the law was passed, it's illegal for her to even own it.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_08

It's not the dog, it's the dog owner. I know this is harsh but the wrong animal was put down in this incident. If you can't control your dog, you shouldn't have it at all.

I disagree. An owner can create a dangerous animal but an irresponsible pug owner does not ever result in someone dying.

My solution to the dangerous dog problem is this;

1). Require all owners to carry liability insurance for each specific dog.

2). Penalty for not having insurance is to lose the dog.

3). Insurance company sets rates according to statistical norms for each breed.

Dangerous dogs suddenly become very, very expensive to own.

It is illegal in Ontario to have a pitbull out in public without a muzzle. And unless the dog has been around since before 2005 when the law was passed, it's illegal for her to even own it.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_08

Thanks Jenn..I remember that law now but never even thought about it. The inccident happened in September and have no idea where these people live or if they are new to our area. Perhaps she did some research and found out about the law. I have only seen her a few times each month, since September and the dog always has a muzzle on now. No idea how old the dog is, just a medium size with a lot of grunting when it sees anyone. :glare:

I disagree. An owner can create a dangerous animal but an irresponsible pug owner does not ever result in someone dying.

Oops! I can see how that happened. My bad.

What I meant was the pitbull owner was the "animal" in this situation who deserves punishment. If this had been a small child that was attacked instead of a pug, people would be calling for her head - and rightly so. I know responsible owners who have breeds of dogs that have the potential to be dangerous. But they know how to handle and train their dogs. My neighbours had two adult Rottweilers when we moved in. They made a point of coming to see us to allay any fears we may have had because we had two younger kids at the time. While they were large and appeared intimidating at first glance, these dogs were actually calm and friendly. I was very comfortable around them, as was my family. They were always walked with a muzzle on but it never seemed necessary as they never made a move towards other dogs or people.

I don't know why Pit Bulls as a breed are allowed. I love dogs, all dogs, except Pit Bulls.

They are the only dog that scares me and can't be controlled by most owners when they decide they want to attack.

Just this morning I was walking my dogs, both smaller breeds, and neither has more than a passing interest in other dogs, when a man came around the corner with his Pit. He shortened the leash, which is a sign to me he doesn't trust his dog, and as they approached the Pit lunged at my dogs. Fortunately the man was strong enough to pull him back before he completed the attack. And, as in every incident like this, the owner makes a point of telling his dog "no" and making him sit.

I will say that I would have no hesitation in killing that dog and would suffer no remorse because of it.

Of all the dogs that people can own, why would anyone choose a Pit Bull?

The owner of any dog that attacks another dog or person should be criminally liable and suffer incarceration and large fines, just as you would if you attacked someone with a weapon, because essentially that is what a Pit Bull is.

I know a girl who owned 3 Pit Bulls, Sadly one just passed. She had them from puppies and raised them right. they were the freindliest most docile dogs you could want. They were raised CORRECTLY.

I had to one put down last year after it killed a neighbors Lab. She was looking after it for a friend, the pit bull, and it attacked her Lab as they went out to do their business before settling down for the night.

Apparently the 2 dogs had gotten along well for most of the week. I didn't even know it was there. Then one night, I hear blood curdling screaming coming from her bacyard. We had wolves around here for a while so I thought wolves were attacking her dog and she was in the middle. I grabbed a knife, a light, a heavy utility coat and a shovel. When I got across the street the Pit Bull had the lab down by the throat and wouldn't let go. Had to bang it across the head several times before it finally let go. Then it did and I was face to face with it. I yelled assertively and pointed to the corner and he backed away obediently. I picked up the Lab and off we went to the animal hospital. The damage was way too extensive though. He was put down. When we got back I went out into that backyard and the dog followed my every command as obediently and obligingly as if he were my own - like nothing had just happenned. I put him in her garage for the night with a blanket and some water.

I knew what was coming for him but the whole time it struck me that he was incredibly compliant and intelligent. Maybe it was because I knocked the stars out out of him but he was gentle and completely unagressive. Honestly - I really was impressed at how well behaved he was. He was a beautiful animal but it was very sad thinking what was going to happen the next day.

A week or two later P ( the neighbor lady) related that the dogs had gotten along fine for most of the week but also that the dog had done this twice before according to the owner. She was still angry with P though and never compensated P for the vet bills - $500 to put the dog down.

Seems to me there's a hair trigger switch in that breed that makes it docile and wonderful one minute but it can flip over in in the blink opf an eye and all hell can break loose. They're dangerous. Ban them.

. . . .

Seems to me there's a hair trigger switch in that breed that makes it docile and wonderful one minute but it can flip over in in the blink opf an eye and all hell can break loose. They're dangerous. Ban them.

I agree.

Just ask the parents of the toddler that had her face chewed up by the friendly family pit bull. I hate that breed as well.

One of my in-laws had a couple of pit bulls "to protect his property". It worked - nobody ever wanted to visit, especially me. I believe these two dogs were bred to be mean & nasty guard dogs and they did a great job until one escaped.

The in-law was shocked when a neighbour killed one that escaped the yard. Everybody else was not shocked. The other dog "went missing" a month or so later and was never found.

Specs

That is a sad story...for everyone.Here is mine.

This happened to me 4 weeks ago. I was walking my Scottish Terrier and a pit bull came running across the park followed by its screaming owner and attacked her , clamping down on her back. I pounded that dog in the head for over a minute as hard and fast as I could and it didn't even flinch. I stuck my fingers in its eyes...nothing. I finally reached around and started crushing its windpipe and it let go and bit me on the hand and forearm. I have never been afraid of dogs but this incident taught me that if one of these MONSTROSITIES ever gets ahold of your right arm you are in REAL trouble.I quickly got the owners phone number and left to take my dog to the Vet ASAP. My poor little Scottie was torn up and required emergency surgery. I had my winter coat on but I was still treated for puncture wounds and tearing. My arm turned black and blue and my hand still hurts.
The number proved to be false and the authorities have not been able to locate the dog or owner. I now carry a knife when walking my dog and will not hesitate to use it. .You can't imagine how fast something like this happens and the ferocity of it.I applaud the Pugs owner for having the prescence of mind to kill that dog and hope his Pug recovers without too much physical or mental damage.
To those defending Pit Bulls and wondering why they get so much negative press , the answer is pretty obvious.It is because of the ferocity of the attacks , their unpredictable behaviour and damage that these dogs are cabable of. I have witnessed other dogs fighting and it is always just a few nips , bites and squeals and the dogs back off. Pit Bulls fight to the death. That is what they have been bred to do. They don't know any other way. After separating them the Pit Bull just sat there panting and looking around.Placid. No barking , no lunging...just another day at the office
The PB that attacked my dog would have killed her quickly if I had not been right there to save her.I have absolutely no doubt of that and only a fool would disagree.
Before our attack I was not nervous of passing a leashed PB on the sidewalk. I will cross the street in the future if I see one coming.
The owner of the PB , a young girl , was crying throughout the incident and doing what she could to pull it off , with no effect. Once separated , her comments through tears were " I don't understand , we have been socializing her". Says it all , doesn't it?
The fact that she gave me a false number speaks volumes also. What type of person doesn't take responsibility for their dogs actions?
I guess the answer is , the type of person who owns a Pit Bull.

Archived