Ottawa Man Grandson Safe After Wing Snaps Off Float Plane

HST

I believe the pilot applied power to takeoff and the torque caused him to turn right and into fog and then his wing hit a tree along the shoreline and clipped a wing tip off. There was no emergency landing...he didn't even get airborne and as he said in the skewed interview, "if I had been out over the water"

My take is he had a bad T/O, which he aborted after the wing tip incident, and water taxied back to shore.

Bad reporting by someone who does not have a clue about "flying jargon". :Grin-Nod:

That sounds more like it. The CBC reporter's use of the words "he and his grandson are safe and after making an emergency landing" and "the small plane clipped a tree near the edge of the river soon after takeoff" give you the impression they actually got airborne.

I guess $1.1-billion a year in funding doesn't include a fact checking department.

From the interview, as soon as he saw he was going into the fog, he pulled the power back and then from that point was too close to shore to avoid hitting a tree. His words were: "If i was off the water, it would be a totally different situation" clearly indicating he was not yet airborne.

Poooooooor reporting.

Archived